Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fuel Pump Screen cleaning on Monsoon

Hi All. So we took the 2002 SSLXi out again this weekend and taught my 2 girls to kneeboard but when we went to teach my eldest to ski the boat kept bogging down when trying to give rapid throttle, although she did manage to get up on the ski's. Ran fine when it was cold but once up to temp and stopped a few times, no power, and couple of backfires. Thought it could be vapor lock since it was 33ºc today.

Anyway, decided not worth going out again so we packed up and drove home with me thinking of all the things that could be wrong. Checked the fuel lines etc and then though better check the fuel pump as it did squeal a couple of times like it was starving for fuel. Long story short when the mechanic fitted the new fuel pump before we bought the boat he used some STAG gasket maker on the barbed fitting which made it's way over about 60% of the screen as you can see below. How we were even able to get WOT is beyond me although the hotter weather seems to have made it worse.

Question is it appears that the STAG gasket maker has seeped into the screen and although I have removed it all the stain is still there. Can the screen be carefully pulled out and cleaned or should I take it into a fuel injection mob and get them to clean it?

Cheers

vw5l.jpg

Thanks Guys. Carb cleaner was a no go so I slid a sewing needle down between the body and the screen and gently pried around the circumference of the screen until it was loose then it came out easily. Good job to because there was junk in the pump on the other side of the screen from scraping the screen.

Used the same needle to poke each of the blocked screen holes then re shaped the screen into a bowl shape and used an M8 bolt to push the screen back into the pump. I then used a golf tee to roll around the side of the screen to ensure it was firmly pressed against the thread.

Now just to go back to the lake for a test run. How it ran so well for the test drives and previous outings is beyond me but it must of been because it was still winter with cold fuel and cold air. When it got hot I think the fuel vaporized when the pump was starved. Was 33ºC (91F) yesterday so engine was nice and hot.

28ln.jpg

Edited by brad72
  • Like 2

Put everything back together and ran the boat on a fake-a-lake. The fuel pump once primed is now whisper quiet where as before there was a distinct whine which I assumed was normal given the pump was new. Bring on the lake next weekend and hopefully she will now run like a dream.

Also pulled apart the old low pressure fuel filter out of curiosity and it's element was filthy. Glad I installed a new filter last weekend.

You might want to drain the tank as a precautionary step and put a new inline fuel filter in just to be safe..

I had some fuel issues on my 02 SSLXI that ended up fixing (Thanks to the Crew). Everything was dirty all of the way to the injectors.

Check this thread out for a ton of good info.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/43591-advise-needed-monsoon-wont-go-over-3400-rpm/

Edited by danadog
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally got the boat out today after cleaning the screen and replacing the filter and the motor runs like a dream. Plenty of power out of the hole, no hesitation when accelerating and no problems getting up and going after hot motor has sat for 10 minutes picking up riders which is great since outside was about 94 F today.

Very happy.

• Like 1