Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Towed with an F-150 EcoBoost yesterday

wakeboarder3780

The EB is a great idea for the average person that tows to the local lake. It looks as if it tows great and would be a lot of fun when not towing. Now I think if you tow long distances a few times a year it may not be the best pick. A 6 hour tow to the WOW and then back and a few other trip would be hard on that motor over time. Well thats just my 2 cents. I like it just isn't right for me.

You might wanna check out the ecoboost challenge. 24 hrs at WOT , towing TWO, not one,TWO sprint cup cars on a trailer around the track in FL at 100 mph seems like 10 years of the kind of towing you would do for 6 hrs to your WOW .

Actually, out of all the motors in 1/2 ton trucks, the eco is probably the best suited for towing long distance. It makes peak torque at 2000 rpm, perfect for towing at highway speed and big grades. (All the V8's have to rev over 4000 rpm's to get those numbers.) That means the eco shifts less and revs lower when pulling heavy loads. As for reliability, it is basically built like a diesel with spark plugs. Direct injection keeps head temps cool allowing higher compression without detonation, water cooled turbos, oil jet cooled pistons, bedplated crank. Basically it is built like a brick s*%t house. Diesels have been running 200K + with turbos and DI successfully for years. My guess is that the eco will as well.

The only real issues was with the early models having condensation build up in the intercoolers.

Reading about some dude blowing up an engine doesent really mean much. There are plenty of V8 that blow up as well. Overall the eco has been a huge success for Ford and the rest are still trying to catch up.

They should put this engine in a Response TXI!!

And I do not own an Eco.

Edited by Tims
  • Like 2

I thought I would add some info to this topic. Not trying to prove anything just give some ideas on other trucks MPG while towing and not.

I have a 08 Toyota Sequoia 4X4 loaded with towing package. I have a very heavy foot VERY. Boat is a 06 V-Ride. For the SE WOW I had the boat fully loaded including about 8 boxes of luggage long story. In the truck 5 grownups and 3 kids and stuff in the back I was as loaded as the truck and will ever get. 6 hour drive each way. The truck pulls the boat like a dream. If your not careful you will forget you are pulling it I'm not joking. Gas mileage with out the boat 15-18mpg average about 14mpg for me but I do live in town lot of stoping and going and have a heavy foot. Wife drives most of the time and gets around 15-16mpg. For the trip first tank of gas had the tow haul button mashed and got 12.1mpg drive 75-80 as I said drives like a dream one of my friend tells everybody it drives better with the boat behind it. Now second tank of gas I forgot to mash the tow haul button and got 9.8mpg on half of that tank both times I had the cruse set at around 78mph. Tried the button on one other time had the same results at 9.8mpg. Many many hills between MS and Georgia. I am very happy with the 12.1mpg for a full size SUV. As I said not trying to prove anything just some good info. I like the idea of the EB and if I wanted a truck it would be on the list.

2010 Tundra 5.7 - I tow between 65 and 70mph and can barely get mpg on a good trip...but anywhere I tow I have to climb 4000' passes. Driving to Shasta (up and down the whole way) I got high 8's :(

All I can say is I like my Titan a lot but if money were no object I would own an ecoboost. It just doesn't make sense to trade in a truck that does everything you ask it to, I live so close to work that I would NEVER make up the difference in fuel economy. I put on around 10k a year on the truck.

All I can say is I like my Titan a lot but if money were no object I would own an ecoboost. It just doesn't make sense to trade in a truck that does everything you ask it to, I live so close to work that I would NEVER make up the difference in fuel economy. I put on around 10k a year on the truck.

Actually the worst thing about the ecoboost is the mileage. Most do not get what they claim. At the end of the day it takes X amount of energy to move 6000+ pounds. If you wait a little longer you cen get the new Titan with the 5.0 Cummins!!

Actually the worst thing about the ecoboost is the mileage. Most do not get what they claim. At the end of the day it takes X amount of energy to move 6000+ pounds. If you wait a little longer you cen get the new Titan with the 5.0 Cummins!!

Your right of course. Even so the ecoboost will beat my titan in all areas even mileage.

Now for the new 5.0 cummins titan? A big 3/4 diesel I will never need but a small 1/2 ton might be interesting. But again, my truck is doing the job soooooo it will be awhile before I get an upgrade.

If the numbers on the Ram diesel come in at what I am reading (230hp/420tq) it wont be much compeitiion for the 5.0 cummins or the eco. My guess is the Ram will be rated 17/26 and the Cummins will be right there with it.

Edited by Tims

I love my Titan too but I'll probably get something new next year. Anxious to see the new F150 and Titan.

Rolled this mileage yesterday. :)

titan_zps230d18f9.jpg

After the new concept f150 came out this year at the auto show I've been excited. I'm just scared what the price is going to be with the full aluminum body!

Btw if you missed it the concept was called the atlas. And now that it's coming to fruition in the new f150 I'm excited to see how it holds up.

After the new concept f150 came out this year at the auto show I've been excited. I'm just scared what the price is going to be with the full aluminum body!

Btw if you missed it the concept was called the atlas. And now that it's coming to fruition in the new f150 I'm excited to see how it holds up.

From what I understand, that concept is pretty darn close to the production 2015. Hopefully Ford won't make serious launch mistakes as they usually do. I also understand that there will be a variety of engine options, including the next generation ecoboost. I just have not heard what that next gen ecoboost is. I believe there's a new transmission coming as well but it may not make MY2015.

Ford is doing some interesting things lately. There are new ecoboost engines in the pipeline as I understand. Some for trucks and some not.

I agree with Tims in that I'd be interested to see how the ecoboost would perform in a TXI. Sure would be cool to know. Also, on the MPG issue with ecoboost, I have a 2011 4 x 4 with the max tow package. I typically see 17.9-18.5. A good friend of mine has the same truck, 4 x 2, with standard tow package and he's seeing 21-23. I think most of this has to do with the aerodynamics of the 2 and the weight. The 4 x 2 is lower to the ground and does not have the big mirrors as mine. Then, with the added weight of 4 x 4, I get much less MPG than he.

My brother gets a new Expedition limited every year 5.4L 3 valve not the extended. just pick up a new one last week. The last thee not the one he has now have all averaged 18MPG daily driving. Pulling our enclosed 25' snowmobile trailer it drops to 12 - 14 mpg.

The tail gate was one thing, but the truck had very little rocker panels left when we traded it in, and the structural supports under the hood holding the front clip were virtually gone. I've never seen a truck rust like this one did. Many other things on the truck just didn't hold up either. I am wondering if this was a "happened during that time" type of thing or if Ford is still building a showroom wonder.

I have a 2010 and drive it daily on the salty michigan winter roads. I do not have any spots even on the underbody.

Few months ago, I thought I wanted to trade my 2011 6.2 chevy 1500 for a EB f150 because the gas mileage I am getting (14.5-15 city, 18-1.5 hwy at 75mph). After reading real reports of the gas mileage on the Ecoboost, I decided to keep my 6.2 chevy until it is paid off. Just not worth getting rid of the funnest truck I have ever driven.

I liked the EB, but I think the 6.2 pulls stronger and has more instant power. The f150 is more quiet inside than my chevy, but the Chevy rides much better. I was in sticker shock for a f150 xlt fx4 screw (no leather and no pretty radio): 52K in my neck of the woods!! Rebates were 3k so 49k OTD. My dad paid 56k for his 2013 f250 xlt crew with diesel. For reference, I paid 47k for my chevy 1550with z71 4x4 crew cab with leather.

I have yet to find an EB f150 that wanted to race my 6.2.....

I have a 2010 and drive it daily on the salty michigan winter roads. I do not have any spots even on the underbody.

I sold my 02 in 2012 and it was starting to rust. It had 140,000 miles with the every day Michigan roads. Most down around Detroit subs so heavy salt. One small repair other then normal maintenance. I took it down to Kentucky driving as easy as I could to see what the best fuel economy I could get 23mpg going down. Ya no one would ever drive like I did normally but I was travailing with another group and they do drive like old farts 65mph is smoking! :lol:. If I got 17mpg it was a very good tank of gas!

Same with the ecoboost Its all in how you drive it.

Few months ago, I thought I wanted to trade my 2011 6.2 chevy 1500 for a EB f150 because the gas mileage I am getting (14.5-15 city, 18-1.5 hwy at 75mph). After reading real reports of the gas mileage on the Ecoboost, I decided to keep my 6.2 chevy until it is paid off. Just not worth getting rid of the funnest truck I have ever driven.

I liked the EB, but I think the 6.2 pulls stronger and has more instant power. The f150 is more quiet inside than my chevy, but the Chevy rides much better. I was in sticker shock for a f150 xlt fx4 screw (no leather and no pretty radio): 52K in my neck of the woods!! Rebates were 3k so 49k OTD. My dad paid 56k for his 2013 f250 xlt crew with diesel. For reference, I paid 47k for my chevy 1550with z71 4x4 crew cab with leather.

I have yet to find an EB f150 that wanted to race my 6.2.....

Hehe, don't say that too loud. Tuners do amazing things for turbo'd vehicles.