Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Towed with an F-150 EcoBoost yesterday

wakeboarder3780

Color me impressed. My dad has only ever owned suburbans for all his towing / hauling needs. I followed suit and got a 1500 suburban for my first serious tow "truck" (don't laugh true truck owners ;)). A gracious friend allowed me to try out his f150 EB.

Anyhoo, I'm not a tow vehicle connoisseur or anything, but from a laymen's perspective the truck very much surprised me. The low end power that tow truck had was impressive and it handled towing on uphill grades so much better I don't think I can put a factor on it.

Here are a couple highlights I can share:

• I accidentally let the tires loose taking a right turn from a dead stop because my buddy told me to "see what it's got". That was certainly an experience I've never had before.
  • The low end power is not even close to comparable, it's actually a joke. Again not a "truck guy" but holy man did it blow the doors off the burb. If I were to "drag race" the burb with or without towing something.
  • On the way home there are some gentle grades that I can't help but wind down on where I end up dropping to about 60-65 (normally go 70). With this truck I could actually stay in the left lane where I prefer to be and pass whoever I wanted. While it did downshift it did so with a lot less groaning (perhaps difference between the transmissions too, idk). Either way it was a MUCH more pleasurable experience towing with the EB and in the instances where the burb wouldn't even be able to maintain speed if I wanted to, the EB just took whatever I asked for, gave a half second pause for turbo lag, and then just doled it out. So much more power.
  • This is likely just a "ford vs chevy" thing but holy crap was the braking power MUCH better on the f-150. I didn't formally measure it out but my stopping distance seemed to be reduced by 33-50% which is huge from a safety factor. Don't get me wrong I think the burb is safe, but you do have to focus on keeping a bigger following distance. With the ford, I'm pretty sure I could stop for anything I wanted, just like I wasn't towing.

I now have a severe case of truck envy and to try to blow off some of that steam while I wait for the expedition EL's to come out with EB (should be coming in 2014) I figured I'd make this post. I've heard of people being able to tow G23's with the EB. Having now driven it, I definitely believe it. Anyone else had the pleasure of driving this truck? Maybe for a diesel owner it's a joke to even bring up the EB, but to a gasser truck owner, it seemed like hot news to me. Better gas mileage running around town on errands too (wife can't seem to stay away from the dog park :whistle:)

Edited by wakeboarder3780

What happens to long term durability when you hot rod a small engine and ask it to produce gobs of power all of the time? I have a theory that 6 cyl engines work harder than V8's and do not last as long. My theory is backed by nothing more than a thought I had once. Now that EB has been around for a while, is there any evidence of them not going the distance?

• Like 1

^^^

I'm in the market for a newer truck and have had the same thought about the EB longevity. I figure a 5.7 Tundra has a tank engine that'll last longer than the "hopped up" EB but it's only a personal theory. I've heard a lot of great reviews about a new EB engine but am wondering if there are any out there with around 200k miles without experiencing some expensive issues? Anyone out there have one with high miles that can comment? Thanks.

5.3L vs EB isn't a fair comparison. EB will easily out-tow it. 5.3L is a tank of a motor and will take lots of abuse happily though.

You could always throw a supercharger (or go turbo) on a 5.3L, as they are pretty boost friendly stock. Then see how well that EB fairs. :)

The EB is a great idea for the average person that tows to the local lake. It looks as if it tows great and would be a lot of fun when not towing. Now I think if you tow long distances a few times a year it may not be the best pick. A 6 hour tow to the WOW and then back and a few other trip would be hard on that motor over time. Well thats just my 2 cents. I like it just isn't right for me.

I want to see a few of these go 300k with a lot of towing and no turbo failures. That's the part that skeeves me out the most about the EB. Those small turbos are working like demons when towing heavy loads. That means tons of heat.

• Like 3

I want to see a few of these go 300k with a lot of towing and no turbo failures. That's the part that skeeves me out the most about the EB. Those small turbos are working like demons when towing heavy loads. That means tons of heat.

The ecoboost turbos are not as traditional as you may be thinking. They are water cooled .

I am a big believer in turbo motors for towing. As for longevity, it is good to hear from BB that they are showing good reliability so far. I love turbo V6 engines. My Audi makes stupid power and has over 130k miles with lots of abuse and great reliability. Some guys have well over 200k on them, and the turbo design is a joke compared to the ecoboost.

An ecoboost expedition would be an awesome family rig!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Not a fair comparison? Cmon guys... I prefaced the ENTIRE post with "I'm not a truck master". I further discredited myself by saying my first serious tow vehicle was whatever my dad had and that was my reasoning alone. I'm just an average joe who's only owned a blazer and a suburban and with all due respect - it is fair for me to compare whatever I want. This post is written for other people like me. I don't need to be told by mommy that I'm making unfair comparisons. I am a consumer I can and do compare whatever I want. I'm sharing personal experiences from my life to try to help other people.

There was a question on what the towing gas mileage was. We got 8 mpg that day but I wasn't behaving at all. Didn't help that my friend kept pushing me to "see what its got" at every opportunity. We also made a very short tow trip. It's only about 10 highway miles 1 way to drop in by us so not much of an sample size to draw conclusions from. i must confess I have no idea what mileage I get towing in the burb because it gets mixed as a daily driver for the wife.

As for questions on durability, from my research it seems the durability is quite high. There was one known issue I found that had to deal with the condenser but the problem seemed rare enough that I didn't mind.

My next test will be to see if the performance changes when the engine is put in a bigger expedition EL and I strap the boat behind it. Also, why would this post be moved to "off topic"? How is a tow vehicle not half of what we deal with except for the few who live on the lake?

Edit: thanks for the feedback Bobby

Edited by wakeboarder3780

thtrog- what are you seeing MPG towing the 24MXZ 65-70?

I would also become more a believer after a few years of folks using them.... They are still high 30s to 40 for crew cab, 4x4, power cloth seats, locks windows???

Just did a 600 mile trip with the 247 , averaged 11.6 mpg . Mind you two large mountain passes crossed both ways and my truck is lifted on 35's.

I woul bet 1-2 MPGs better without the lift/35's.

They have been on the road since late 2010 N.

Edited by Bobby Bright

I got a deal for a friend on a ecoboost F150. He has a business that he tows heavy loads long trips often. He has been a GM guy for his life. His comment is he will never own a GM again.

I offered his son the same deal but after some time he ended up with a HD GM gasser. They towed two heavy loads three months ago and swapped vehicles after some time. At the end of the day the sons comments. No comparison I think I should have gone with the ecoboost F150. As Bobby Bright said the turbos are not your traditional turbos.

If you drive hard you are not going to see grate fuel economy.

His decision to go Ford originally was GM's Government money! He was not upset with his GM trucks.

• Like 2

Before my dad bought his avalanche, we went to look at f150 EB's and loved them except for the ride. It's a typical truck ride. But hot damn, power and torque is not the issue. That was the first vehicle I've ever test drove and I loved it :biggrin:

thtrog- what are you seeing MPG towing the 24MXZ 65-70?

I would also become more a believer after a few years of folks using them.... They are still high 30s to 40 for crew cab, 4x4, power cloth seats, locks windows???

Ryan, Hard to give you a MPG towing, mine has been all mixed driving with the longest trip 1.5 hours...hard to keep it under 70. I do not notice towing MPG worse than previous trucks, but everyday driving I'm getting 18.5 vs 16 in my 5.4. I drive over 30k per year and estimate 10% or less of towing. Your price range is correct, this time instead of a Lariat I went with a cloth seat 4x4.

Hard to keep it under 70?? Wow. What are you able to tow at comfortably on mixed grades? 75?

I can tell you G23 at 8500lbs Tundra 5.7.... Takes work and a feather pedal to keep at 70 without rev'ing up and downshifting. It'll do 75-80, with lots of shifting.

Yes. The Eco will do mixed grades easily at 70-80. It has two O/D ratios, .087 (5th) and .069 (6th). It will seamlessly shift between the two, but with peak torque at 2500 rpm it does not have to rev high to build power like a typical NA motor. I have 3:73's in mine an I run around 1900 RPM's at 65-70mph in 6th.

Go to your local dealer with your boat and tell them you wanna try one out. I think you will be surprised.

My only complaint is the somewhat soft rear springs on the long bed versions. Airbags or helpers are needed for long trips with a loaded bed and a rather big boat. Even with the max tow package.

Edited by Bobby Bright

Long term....as of thus far.. Durability has been outstanding, I work at a big Ford truck dealership. All we sell is trucks, 90 percent of our business is commercial or fleet type business. These guys have several of the same trucks, they all for the most part beat the tar out of everything they own because nobody cares......it's not their truck.

We service anything from a Ranger/Escape size all the way up to full size diesel tractors. The ecoboost has been stellar base engine wise. I cannot say we have had 1 internal engine failure through our shop on the 3.5/3.7 V6 engine family. That base engine has actually been out since late 2006.

I now own an ecoboost F150. By far the best tow vehicle I have ever owned. Mileage is a bit inflated, but I could care less as I don't ever "tow" and hope for 20 mpg. I did a back to back comparison before I decided to buy. My 2008 f150 was no slouch. Roush supercharged 500 hp, 550ft lbs of torque 5.4l on a custom tow tune. The ecoboost ate its lunch. I towed the same route with both trucks back to back before buying. Having 90 percent of peak torque under 2000 RPMs does wonders for,towing. Couple that with a well matched trans ratios and perfect shift strategy. I have nothing but praise for the guys that thought this one up.

It's gonna be hard to beat.

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

I try not to be a big fan boy unless is Bu related however this post is right on! I love my EB F-150! I look forward to the next gen in 2015 when I'm ready for an upgrade.

Sure is nice to have a ton of torque come in on a gasser at 2,000 RPM. Certainly puts a smile on the face.

Had mine since March 2011 and have been very happy with it. Enough torque and not enough weight, you can tell when taking off fast or have to stop quickly. But hook up the boat behind it and you get the same pulling power with a much smoother ride. Seems as though the truck was designed for towing.

There are a couple of things I don't like. The body seems to bruise easily, and the gas mileage is overinflated as previously stated. I get 18-19 mpg at 70 with the max tow package.

It's also very quiet, doesn't sound like a truck. That doesn't bother me though.

Hard to keep it under 70?? Wow. What are you able to tow at comfortably on mixed grades? 75?

I can tell you G23 at 8500lbs Tundra 5.7.... Takes work and a feather pedal to keep at 70 without rev'ing up and downshifting. It'll do 75-80, with lots of shifting.

while my boat is lighter than yours, with the boat full of stuff for a week, the truck bed full, and four people, last two years running to Arkansas on I-30, I found myself setting the cruise control at 72 or so, on the freeway. (speed limit 75) Otherwise I will find myself running closer to 80.

Truck will stay in 6th gear on 1% grades at 70-74, steeper grades will drop to 5th. I have not had it drop to 4th, but I am not around any steep grades. To keep the same speed in the old denail 6.2, (think torque peak at 4600 rpm as opposed to 2500) the truck would stay in 5th, and drop frequently to 4th on the same road.

Note to the diesel crowd: I acknowledge up front here that a 3/4 ton or larger diesel by Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Freightliner, Peterbuilt, International, would tow better, faster, more stable, etc., I am answering Ryan's question about the ecoboost, that it

I thought I would add some info to this topic. Not trying to prove anything just give some ideas on other trucks MPG while towing and not.

I have a 08 Toyota Sequoia 4X4 loaded with towing package. I have a very heavy foot VERY. Boat is a 06 V-Ride. For the SE WOW I had the boat fully loaded including about 8 boxes of luggage long story. In the truck 5 grownups and 3 kids and stuff in the back I was as loaded as the truck and will ever get. 6 hour drive each way. The truck pulls the boat like a dream. If your not careful you will forget you are pulling it I'm not joking. Gas mileage with out the boat 15-18mpg average about 14mpg for me but I do live in town lot of stoping and going and have a heavy foot. Wife drives most of the time and gets around 15-16mpg. For the trip first tank of gas had the tow haul button mashed and got 12.1mpg drive 75-80 as I said drives like a dream one of my friend tells everybody it drives better with the boat behind it. Now second tank of gas I forgot to mash the tow haul button and got 9.8mpg on half of that tank both times I had the cruse set at around 78mph. Tried the button on one other time had the same results at 9.8mpg. Many many hills between MS and Georgia. I am very happy with the 12.1mpg for a full size SUV. As I said not trying to prove anything just some good info. I like the idea of the EB and if I wanted a truck it would be on the list.