Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dodge 1500 Diesel

nyryan2001

When not towing, I can get 500 miles to 26 gallons of gas (basically a full tank). There are downsides to the eco-boost. The power is not instant, it does rev higher when towing, and it's fuel economy drops during the winter (wierd, but it does). The 500 miles per tank will drop to 440 during the winter months. The most I've ever gotten in a tank was 515 miles.

Oxygenated gas blend?

I'm not really sure about some of the vehicles mentioned here in this forum so I am not in a position to compare. What I can say is that I am a diesel convert and in the australian market the power figures quoted would put that engine at the top of the tree in terms of the capacity of the engines relative to the size of the truck. Most of our diesels in the truck category are generally around 3.0 lts capacity with the exception being VW which makes do with a 2 litre Twin Turbo. My toyota has about 20% less torque than this engine but peak torque arrives at 1400 rpm and just stays there. It's great on fuel and I love it.

Been trying to talk myself into a diesel lately, but think that ford Eco boost is calling my name. Maintenance and fuel costs almost outweigh the benefits of better fuel economy and all that torque. Hard to justify $42k for a half ton truck is all.

Oxygenated gas blend?

I think it has something to do with winter blend vs summer blend gas. If oxygenated gas is the difference between summer vs winter gas, then that is probably it. It's like clock work. Economy goes up in April and drops in October.

Been trying to talk myself into a diesel lately, but think that ford Eco boost is calling my name. Maintenance and fuel costs almost outweigh the benefits of better fuel economy and all that torque. Hard to justify $42k for a half ton truck is all.

The ecoboost has diesel torque, 420 lbs @2500 rpm, 80% of that at 1800 rpms on regular unleaded and it's electric motor quiet. The only thing I would add to mine is some small block exhaust notes in the background off the stereo.

• Like 2

The ecoboost has diesel torque, 420 lbs @2500 rpm, 80% of that at 1800 rpms on regular unleaded and it's electric motor quiet. The only thing I would add to mine is some small block exhaust notes in the background off the stereo.

What are you seeing for mileage while towing? The dealer told me I could expect 14-16 (which I figured was bs), but after seeing the numbers Cory posted I might just keep my Denali. I get 10 mpg fully loaded towing over the pass and if he is only seeing 11.2 on premium... Plus we live in roughly the same area so probably similar towing routes.

Why do people spends 10's of thousands of dollars on vehicles and never do very basic math before making their purchasing decision?

Diesel seems to average $.60/gallon higher than regular. Around here right now it is only a $.40 difference, but we will go with $.60. Let's compare $3.00/gallon for regular (cheapest we will probably ever see it again) vs $3.60 for diesel. This comparison is in gasoline's favor, because if the price difference stays the same but costs go up, the percentage of savings of gas vs diesel goes down.

Using the above numbers, a gas truck averaging 15MPG = $.15/mile. Diesel truck averaging 18MPG = $.15/mile. Diesel trucks tend to get better fuel mileage, so the cost difference in fuel doesn't really look so favorable for gasoline.

Now cost of a diesel truck vs gas is a difference story. But then you have towing ability, driver experience, and the increased durability of a diesel motor.

Don't get me into people paying way more for a comparable hybrid for the fuel savings, as that math never works out. Buying another commuter car doesn't work out in many cases either.

• Like 1

What are you seeing for mileage while towing? The dealer told me I could expect 14-16 (which I figured was bs), but after seeing the numbers Cory posted I might just keep my Denali. I get 10 mpg fully loaded towing over the pass and if he is only seeing 11.2 on premium... Plus we live in roughly the same area so probably similar towing routes.

I have the FX4, with the max tow package but the regular mirrors. Towing, boat and truck loaded for bear, highway only you might get 14, average round trip to Arkansas last summer was 10.6, with all stops, leaving the truck with AC pressurized during quick stops etc.

Empty, I average 16 combined with 85% city and I have seen 18-19 highway only.

You could spend a semester in Nitrousmath calculating the various decision curves, but my main criteria is 1) does it work, 2) do I smile when I drive it.

This truck has remained my favorite over the dozen or so before it. It works, I like driving it, it tows like a diesel yet it's electric motor quiet, And as a bonus it gets decent real world mileage. Also, per KBB, it's holding it value better than most of my previous choices.

Edited by Bozboat

420 ft/lbs is small for a diesel. It might compare to those small diesels, but wont come close to what the Big 3 are offering in their diesels right now.

GM 6.6 Duramax 397HP, 765 ft/lbs

Ford 6.7 Powerstroke 400HP, 800 ft/lbs

Dodge 6.7 Cummins 370HP, 800ft/lbs.

The eco boost is no where near these torque monsters. Those numbers are factory numbers. If you do the EGR/DPF deletes, you will see more power, and torque from them as well.

420 ft/lbs is small for a diesel. It might compare to those small diesels, but wont come close to what the Big 3 are offering in their diesels right now.

GM 6.6 Duramax 397HP, 765 ft/lbs

Ford 6.7 Powerstroke 400HP, 800 ft/lbs

Dodge 6.7 Cummins 370HP, 800ft/lbs.

The eco boost is no where near these torque monsters. Those numbers are factory numbers. If you do the EGR/DPF deletes, you will see more power, and torque from them as well.

I drove a 99 Dodge QCab with the Cummins for several years, and a 2004 Duramax Crewcab. My 2012 Ecoboost is comparable to both the 99 and the 2004 in terms of where the torque kicks in, that being at a lower RPM. My 2007 Sierra Denali with the 6.2 had a torque curve around 4600 rpms. That is what I meant when I mentioned "diesel" power. If you are playing in the 800 ft pound league, you might also look at Freightliner, the F150 or any half ton truck is not for you.

Edited by Bozboat

I have the same truck, mileage does suck on it! Do those chips do anything for mileage or better performance?

My buddy has a ecoboost, has a tune, aftermarket IC, CAI, and Exhaust, it really flies, but still does't tow like my 3/4 ton 5.9 cummins. I towed my boat with his truck and it pulled it well, but got bad mileage, 10-11. The worst part is stability, on any half ton, if you want a real stable ride, go with the 3/4 ton.

My buddy has a ecoboost, has a tune, aftermarket IC, CAI, and Exhaust, it really flies, but still does't tow like my 3/4 ton 5.9 cummins. I towed my boat with his truck and it pulled it well, but got bad mileage, 10-11. The worst part is stability, on any half ton, if you want a real stable ride, go with the 3/4 ton.

True!

Full review.... wished it would have been with a 6000-7000lb wakeboat vs 3800lbs.

http://www.boatingmag.com/blogs/towing/ram-brings-diesel-power-to-half-ton-pickups-2014?src=SOC&dom=fb

dodgeramdiesel.jpg

Cool review, also want to see how it does with and without a heavy trailer with the cruise on at 75mph or so over a few hundred miles.

Edited by gwoods

With the power and snapshot efficiecy numbers for the Dodge 1/2 ton diesel now semi-official, I really cannot see how you justify this drivetrain over options like the ecoboost unless diesel gets about .40 cents per gallon cheaper real quick. What an epic dissapointment, but I guess Fiat shut the door on Cummins and made Dodge go with the home brand. I hope for Dodge's sake that this engine at least holds up under abuse.

And what the hell is up with GM?? Where is the innovation that I paid for?????

• Like 1

I agree with 8796. Its all about getting to 300k without problems. Both Nissan and Cummins have consistently deomnstrated they can do that. Seems like with the low HP/TQ numbers in that Fiat diesel.... they were looking towards a true light duty grocery type pickup. Putting the fist 1/2T diesel to test on a 4klb load isnt legit IMO.

Ecoboost low RPM tq is impressive...we'll see reliability as time goes. I wish they would Ecoboost their 5.4L...450hp, 500ftlbtq range at 2k rpm. I'd give 12/15mpgs for that.

• Like 3

I agree with 8796. Its all about getting to 300k without problems. Both Nissan and Cummins have consistently deomnstrated they can do that. Seems like with the low HP/TQ numbers in that Fiat diesel.... they were looking towards a true light duty grocery type pickup. Putting the fist 1/2T diesel to test on a 4klb load isnt legit IMO.

Ecoboost low RPM tq is impressive...we'll see reliability as time goes. I wish they would Ecoboost their 5.4L...450hp, 500ftlbtq range at 2k rpm. I'd give 12/15mpgs for that.

I guess they wanted to give an alternative to the hemi that was kind of the "middle ground" between the 6 and the 5.7. They do claim hemi like tow numbers though. As more reviews come out it will be interesting to see the real world numbers. Dodge sure has the looks down.