Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dodge 1500 Diesel

nyryan2001

http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/ecodiesel/

surprised this one hasnt been kicked around in here for discussion. Nissan Titan also to release a 5.0L diesel here shortly.

Question is, will 240hp and 420ft/lb Torque make towing a 7000-9000lb load a pleasant experience at 70mph on hills?

Edited by nyryan2001

Waiting to buy one. Have a 1500 hemi right now and tows awesome except for the 8 mpg. I wonder how long it will take for chip/programmer to come out for diesel 1500 and how much it will boost hp/torque

Edited by wheelman
  • Like 1

Just get a Ford eco-boost. It has 365 HP and 420 TQ with regular gas. I read some where those numbers go up to 385 HP and 430 TQ with premium. I have a 2011 F-150 with eco-boost and averaged 11.3 mph on my 540 mile trip Seattle to Osoyoos back to Seattle last week. I stopped at a closed scale on the way back. The boat had 3/4 tank of gas and weighted in at 5640 lbs on the four trailer wheels. Add about 200 lbs tongue weight and I was pulling 5840 lbs plus the bed of my truck had all our gear. I maintain 60 to 65 mph up the steepest mountain passes, but the truck did drop to 4th gear and I use premium when I tow. There is a noticeable improvement in power.

Edited by Cory

Waiting to buy one. Have a 1500 hemi right now and tows awesome except for the 8 mpg. I wonder how long it will take for chip/programmer to come out for diesel 1500 and how much it will boost hp/torque

I have the same truck, mileage does suck on it! Do those chips do anything for mileage or better performance?

I'm sure I could do same mileage if i wasn't towing at 80 mph up the steepest hills, my 23lsv also weighs in at 6500 lbs loaded. My dodge is actually quite good on gas considering it's lifted with 35" m/ts on it. I get 440 miles to 29 gallons of fuel not towing. I find once you've towed with a diesel it's so hard to compare to a gas motor no matter how good it is. Doing 80 mph up hill with gas motor at 4000+ rpm compared to 2500 in diesel is just so much nicer. Just don't do it enough to warrant 3/4 1 ton diesel anymore.

I have the same truck, mileage does suck on it! Do those chips do anything for mileage or better performance?

Chips really dont do anything for gas motor but on diesel you can get huge gains out of them and increase fuel mileage to boot.

Edited by wheelman

That's the same engine that is in my Mercedes GL350. With the 8 spd tranny, that dodge will chug up hills like the boats not even there! That might have to be my next vehicle, but that's till a couple of years away.

I started a thread quite awhile ago but it didn't get much interest.

I will be more interested when I can kick the tires and drive one, still a ways out. Still floors me that there are not more offerings with diesel. I just saw in Automobile that there will be additional diesel offerings soon from Audi and I think it said Mercedes and BMW too in their SUVs.

When not towing, I can get 500 miles to 26 gallons of gas (basically a full tank). There are downsides to the eco-boost. The power is not instant, it does rev higher when towing, and it's fuel economy drops during the winter (wierd, but it does). The 500 miles per tank will drop to 440 during the winter months. The most I've ever gotten in a tank was 515 miles.

I'm pretty sure it's actually a different motor than the Mercedes uses. . It is an Italian vm motori motor which gm actually owned 50 percent of until fiat bought there 50 percent in 2011 . It is the same motor that is in that is in the new Cherokee

Edited by wheelman

I am curious about getting a diesel one day, but I also use my truck to commute into downtown Seattle each day, so truck size is an issue for me. The turning radius of th 3/4 ton trucks make parking structures tough to navigate...

Just get a Ford eco-boost. It has 365 HP and 420 TQ with regular gas. I read some where those numbers go up to 385 HP and 430 TQ with premium. I have a 2011 F-150 with eco-boost and averaged 11.3 mph on my 540 mile trip Seattle to Osoyoos back to Seattle last week. I stopped at a closed scale on the way back. The boat had 3/4 tank of gas and weighted in at 5640 lbs on the four trailer wheels. Add about 200 lbs tongue weight and I was pulling 5840 lbs plus the bed of my truck had all our gear. I maintain 60 to 65 mph up the steepest mountain passes, but the truck did drop to 4th gear and I use premium when I tow. There is a noticeable improvement in power.

That is pretty good for a gasser. I get around 7.5-8.5 in the Armada, loaded to the gills with crap, a full Thule box on the roof and 70-73 with a few stints up to 75 or down to 65. I used to have a 93 F350 dually crew cab 4x4 with a 460 and a Lance 11' camper. That thing didn't meet a gas station it didn't like. Great rig, loved it but decided all in that we moved on to the renting a lake house stage. We lost some of the shorter weekend overnight trips, but in the end total cost is way less just to spend 3k on a rental every year.

Edited by MalibuTime

I am curious about getting a diesel one day, but I also use my truck to commute into downtown Seattle each day, so truck size is an issue for me. The turning radius of th 3/4 ton trucks make parking structures tough to navigate...

Understatement of the year right there! I am thinking I might just keep the Armada long term and picking up a 3rd vehicle commuter car like a WRX or A3. Armada is bad enought trying to find a spot. I see guys with xcab/crew cab 1/2 tons and 3/4 tons and it's tough finding a spot even in the eastside garages. (MS specifically)

that's why i'm excited about the half ton dodge diesel. With the coil spring rear suspension they ride so smooth and turning radius was fine till I lifted it and installed big tires.

that's why i'm excited about the half ton dodge diesel. With the coil spring rear suspension they ride so smooth and turning radius was fine till I lifted it and installed big tires.

This truck does intrigue me. Wish the diesel was just a little bigger though.

Considering the cost premium for a diesel, let along the additional cost for fuel, it's hard not to look at the Ford F-150 ecoboost. If you get it with the max tow package (11,300# towing capacity) you compromise some of the fuel economy but you get the low end power similar to that of a diesel for only a $1000 premium cost on the price. The premium for a diesel is likely much more.

I have the F-150 4 x 4 with ecoboost and max tow package and was hesitant to get it. I'm super pleased with it, it's strong as a bull, and I still average 18.5 MPG. Not bad IMO. I have a friend with the same truck in 2-wheel drive and he's seeing 23 MPG. Granted he has the standard tow package and a different rear end, but the results are still impressive.

Food for thought if nothing else.

they have given it a 9200lb capacity but we all know that means nothing in the real world

Very true statement. My 2004 4Runner is a 4.7L v8 and rated for 7200lbs. My old boat & trailer were probably about 4700lbs total weight. I never risked using the 4Runner to pull that boat over the mountains cause the poor 4Runner felt like she was giving everything she had just getting up to speed on flats of I-5.

$2850 up charge for diesel over same equipped truck with a hemi in it. If I'm not mistaken I think a fully loaded eco boost is quite a lot more than a fully loaded ram.