Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New feature wish list for a 2015 VLX

Cory

I assume the 2015 VLX will have all the features of the 2014 LSV, but here are a few additional things I'd like to see in the 2015 VLX:

1) Increase the freeboard, but don't increase the garage clearance at all. The tow hoop clears my garage door by less than 1" on my 2013 VLX.

Possible Solution for #1 above: Replace the four allen bolts that connect the tow hoop to the G3 tower with rotating mounts with some sort of locking push pin. The tow hoop could quickly and easly be rotated clockwise by 90 degrees when the tower is collapsed and solve many garage clearance issues without having to break out tools, remove and store the hoop somewhere. I will not upgrade to a new boat if I have to dismantle the tower and store the hoop everytime I put the boat in my garage. This is a big deal issue for me.

2) provide an easy collapse mechanism for the whole G3 tower (like on the SAN 210) so can drop my tower easily without an allen wrench. I have the G3 knobs, but still have to use an allan wrench to tighten them up.

3) provide a transmission option so I can choose the regular side to be the better surf side. My whole family is regular foot, but we are forced to purchase a boat that is optimal on the goofy side. Lame!!!

4) if you remove the analog gauges, then please add another gauge screen option to the maliview (simple S/W upgrade), that provides the following information all on one screen: RPM (digital), SPEED (digital), engine temperture, oil pressure, depth, fuel, and battery voltage. Just add more options for guage layouts to choose from. Make sure engine hours are easy to find in the menus also.

5) Add better sound dampening in the back bench area to block more engine/transmission noise. The current generation VLX is fairly noisy. (newly added with edit)

Edited by Cory

- Adjustable seat height. People have been rightfully complaining about this for years

- Good, under seat (or better yet, in-floor) hard cooler options on all models with proper flip-up seats. EVERYONE takes a cooler on a boat; all boat makers should make this a top priority item

- Make the 6.0L L96 the base model motor for all models - obviously this is very easy to do as it is already available on all models

- Dump Rockford Fosgate and go to an OEM Exile or Wetsounds stereo system

- Take "some" of the convertible seating options from Mastercraft/Nautique and incorporate them

- Do a hybrid ballast system; partly a "Pure Vert" type of setup, partly a pump setup. Get the best of both worlds, allowing for very quick fills AND easy ballast tweaks

- Factory FAE option like Nautique is doing this year

- More reasonably costing bimini options. These things are way to expensive for a couple cheap tubes and some canvas.

There are more but that's a good starter list IMO.

- Adjustable seat height. People have been rightfully complaining about this for years

- Good, under seat (or better yet, in-floor) hard cooler options on all models with proper flip-up seats. EVERYONE takes a cooler on a boat; all boat makers should make this a top priority item

- Make the 6.0L L96 the base model motor for all models - obviously this is very easy to do as it is already available on all models

- Dump Rockford Fosgate and go to an OEM Exile or Wetsounds stereo system

- Take "some" of the convertible seating options from Mastercraft/Nautique and incorporate them

- More reasonably costing bimini options. These things are way to expensive for a couple cheap tubes and some canvas.

There are more but that's a good starter list IMO.

I agree almost all of these (I omitted the ones I didn't want). LOL

They fix these and I will come back to a VLX.

Edited by bamabonners

Clearly everyone has their own wish list. While I don't have an issue with Nitrousbird's list, I also wouldn't personally care if none of them came to fruition. Actually, I prefer the classic look of the RF speaker grills, but hope the 8" ones end up in the 2015 VLX. I like the soft cooler--it takes up less room than a hard cooler and less likely to scratch my boat when lifted in and out. Of course, our boat spends most of its summer on a lift on our dock, so my typical use case scenario may be different than others. I do think the dealers need to better educate the purchasers about the engine options and needs with surfgate. The monsoon 350 is only adequate with the 2315/2313 props, but the buyer needs to understand the top speed limitations with those props.

I imagine it is tough balancing act deciding what to or not to do with a new boat...

Edited by Cory

I really would like a new G3 tower with an easy collapse mechanism. There is a bridge on our home lake, which the tower on our '08 Vride just cleared under. The G3 tower on our 2013 VLX cannot pass under the bridge. To access a portion of our lake, we now have to drive way around Tapps Island, then turn around and come back the same way. I can't take guests on my usual tour route of our lake anymore.

Actually I have one more BIG request. Add better sound dampening in the back bench area to block more engine/transmission noise. I think a lot of noise comes through the cracks around the center seat cushion above the v-drive. I think the rear speakers in the seat back of the rear bench also allow a lot of engine noise out. Move the speakers to the side like on the LSV. There is a 2013 LSV on our lake that I test drove and it is definitely quieter than my VLX. I also think it would be easy to line the inside of the rear carpeted bench risers (below the rear bench) with noise dampening foam/rubber.

Edited by Cory

More freeboard.

Tower that folds to fit a standard garage.

Hybrid ballast with reversible pumps for bags on top of hard tanks.

Hard cooler built in.

Power adjusting drivers seat (height) like on the new Supra's.

Stereo I could care less i have little kids and they complain the RF stuff is too loud!

And price it like a 1987 used bayliner.

"And price it like a 1987 used bayliner"

Well now, let's not get too greedy. I think we could afford a used bayliner from the-mid 90's.

Hell, I'd be happy with a new bayliner price!

New tower with easy folding like San ...and more modern..it's outdated ..even though its been great and solid..

Better interior stitching and patterns ..look at mastercraft..

Solve the ballast problems ! We needs boats that fill empty quick and no hussles ...tige is planning something soon

Change the patterns for the gel coats ..new lsv are nice

Reversible rear bench seat ..optional at least

Walk over platform that extends on rear seat cushion ..so they wont tear ...

Worse sound systems and speakers ..change them ..others have recommended brands

Tower camera that is affordable ..maybe even extra built in rear of boat for wake surfing ..tower camera now is

Really over priced ! Everyone takes pics and films...offer a cheap option that everyone will go for it .

And we pay big money for these boats ...noise noise noise ..we would like them as quiet as possible inside ..

Edited by malibu.c.c

Diesel.

Color opinion windshield frame.

Titan 4 tower. (The return of the old school tower.)

Why am I not surprised a diesel was your number one request. I'm sure we all want more torque and better fuel economy that a diesel could provide, but I'm not sure I would want a diesel in my water sports boat. The noise and exhaust smell would offset the benefits. Since diesel is less refined than gas, it doesn't evaporate when spilled on the water. It just remains as an oil slick. We fill p at our dock a lot using jery cans.

Cory, just one comment on your response to Cummins - I have 3 diesel vehicles, and one in particular you would never know it was diesel unless someone told you. The technology from companies like Audi, Mercedes and VW is outstanding. VW in particular offers a diesel option in every model they sell in the US, and I don't believe you would find many cars in Europe that are not diesel. The main drawback to offering diesels is two-fold, one is the initial cost to bring them into production and get sales, and the second is getting diesel to the marinas.

In regards to the 2015.... I think the time is right for a drop-down bolster seat option in the wakesurf boats, similar to the offshore boats.

pb

Why am I not surprised a diesel was your number one request. I'm sure we all want more torque and better fuel economy that a diesel could provide, but I'm not sure I would want a diesel in my water sports boat. The noise and exhaust smell would offset the benefits. Since diesel is less refined than gas, it doesn't evaporate when spilled on the water. It just remains as an oil slick. We fill p at our dock a lot using jery cans.

You complain about smell yet you are against having an OEM FAE exhaust option? That makes no sense at all.

New diesel technology is much more refined than it once was.

Cory, just one comment on your response to Cummins - I have 3 diesel vehicles, and one in particular you would never know it was diesel unless someone told you. The technology from companies like Audi, Mercedes and VW is outstanding. VW in particular offers a diesel option in every model they sell in the US, and I don't believe you would find many cars in Europe that are not diesel. The main drawback to offering diesels is two-fold, one is the initial cost to bring them into production and get sales, and the second is getting diesel to the marinas.

In regards to the 2015.... I think the time is right for a drop-down bolster seat option in the wakesurf boats, similar to the offshore boats.

pb

The after treatment required in a modern road diesel to give the clean running performance we would want in a boat would be pretty much unfeasible in a boat ( have a look under a modern HD truck or even Mercedes GL)

As I understand the new diesels ain't your moms old Oldsmobile diesel station wagon! ;-)

I still have nightmares of embarrassment when that thing would smoke up the whole street on a cold morning on the way to school. I think the wood grain paneling would be hip today though...

Edited by Cory

Only one request: More stock ballast. And if that is not possible, then; More stock bow ballast. Give it a 600 lbs tank option. So no bow tank, 300 tank, or 600 tank.

• 9 months later...