Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Now help ME pick a new board!

-BS-

Alright Crew....

I need some help picking a new surf style board. I think I've narrowed it down to 3 boards, but haven't heard much about any of them. I'm also game for a new suggestions, but here's what I'm looking for:

-a board that isn't too buoyant for me (6"-1,205)

-a board that I can air out easily but isn't so speed oriented that it makes spins impossible/hard

-super responsive......has that 'glued to your feet' feel

-not too big for a wakesurf wave (this sounds silly maybe, because they're all 'designed for wakesurf waves' but I swear some of the boards out there just don't have room to do their job because the wave isn't big enough)

Info about my riding style:

-Intermediate rider: I've got my 3's, front lips, front boards, floaters dialed.

-Love to take huge turns (or the biggest I can anyway).

-I've got my airs dialed, but think I've pretty much maxed out the height of them because I'm riding a composite board

-I can ride fakie OK. If I could find a surfstyle board that still allowed me to ride this way that'd be a bonus, but I think that might be a pipe dream.

The boards I'm currently choosing between:

-The Walker Project's "BOMB POP": After doing a bunch of research, this is my #1 choice so far. Sounds ideal for me but I'm having trouble with the $750-1000 price tag. Especially considering I wouldn't know exactly what size to order (4'-5 or 4'-9")

-Liquid Force's "CHASE SIXER". This is #2. I SO wish I could demo this board because it sounds like exactly what I want. That said, I've read a bunch of reviews that say it's "slow". Who knows tho.....I have no idea the riding ability of the people giving these reviews?

-Inland Surfer's "FLYBOY": #3. Heard tons about it, but the common theme seems to be that it's 'fast'. That's great and all, but I don't have any trouble gaining speed......so I'm not necessarily looking for something that is just fast.

Anyone have any experience on these boards?

Also, the boards I've ruled out are....

-(unfortunately) the SoulCraft Fangtail. Ruffdog has one, and while I have a blast riding it, it's too buoyant for my taste. If they could take like 15% of the material out of this board I feel like it might be perfect, but that's not the case.

-Ronix One Skimmer: LOVE this board, but they don't make one big enough for me

-Triple X: Slasher and Slayer. I've ridden the Slayer I believe. Again, such a fun board to ride especially way back in the curl......but it's just too 'locked in' to the wave and a little long for me.

-Brigade boards........ I couldn't find one on their website that's big enough for me. Am I missing something?

Ready.............GO! :thumbup:

I can tell you the flyboy (bigboy) is not the best board I've ridden, hands down. I think the new xxx slayer sucks too, not what it was a couple years ago. The slasher is the best board I've ever ridden and I'm having a difficult time finding a board I like as much, and its not made anymore.

The boards I'm currently choosing between:

-The Walker Project's "BOMB POP": After doing a bunch of research, this is my #1 choice so far. Sounds ideal for me but I'm having trouble with the $750-1000 price tag. Especially considering I wouldn't know exactly what size to order (4'-5 or 4'-9")

-Liquid Force's "CHASE SIXER". This is #2. I SO wish I could demo this board because it sounds like exactly what I want. That said, I've read a bunch of reviews that say it's "slow". Who knows tho.....I have no idea the riding ability of the people giving these reviews?

-Inland Surfer's "FLYBOY": #3. Heard tons about it, but the common theme seems to be that it's 'fast'. That's great and all, but I don't have any trouble gaining speed......so I'm not necessarily looking for something that is just fast.

1. Walker Project Bomb Pop. Vince has a Walker Project, not sure on the model, and it is a sound board. When I rode it, it was very buoyant but tracked well in the water. It had just a two fin (future fins) set up and pumped well, from what I could tell from the other riders who knew what they were doing with it.

2. Liquid Force Chase Sixer. At the LF demo put on by AWS, everyone who rode it seemingly was pumping the whole time. Construction of the board seemed decent, but every one did one set and was done with it. It was not a favorite among the group, but everybody likes their own style. Might not be a bad idea to track on down to AWS and see if they will let you demo it?

3. IS Flyboy. I've never been on a Flyboy, but have always heard great things about the board. I don't know if it warrants the $900 price tag, but it's definitely an intriguing board. What about the Keenan surf model?

I will tell you this. Both the Bobby twins had a chance to demo the Flyboy (bigboy) all last week. We found that it comes with a workout plan..... and a diet plan. I can ride it and so can he. It is very aggressive when turning. It executes turns very well and is VERY responsive, but it lacks drive towards the boat. I literally had to pump that board the whole time I rode it........on both #dongnation 23lsv and 247 waves. Niether of these waves are considered small. I was winded at the end of that set. For example I can ususally ride at least 20 minutes before I give up.

The need a super size flyboy big boy . It says good up to 250 lbs, but I would doubt that it would work well on smaller waves.

Hands down I will not be boning up 800 bills for that thing.

I love my Slasher until I find something better.

4'8" Fangtail is out on demo. I would add the Soulcraft JS Pro to your list and have Jeff sculpt it to your style. I've heard good things about the Bomb Pop, never ridden one tho.

What board are you coming from again?

BS....I think it's time for you to get a custom board! I know a guy that's getting a few Soulcraft boards in stock, plain white. Let me know, I will put you in touch. The Walker Project Bomp Pop will be to buoyant for you. The Idol Wakersurfers and Evercarve Wakesurfers are worth doing some research on.

If you could do everything you do on a Tsnuami, I could imagine how much your skills could advance on a custom. I mean, add at least 15 inches to your airs. If not custom, I will automatically go with a Ronix Parks Carbon Thruster. You will also rip it up on a 4'8 Byerly Hazard. Remove the back two fins, make it a twin and she will start dancing. I enjoy mine, but wish I would have gone smaller.

Edited by Afun

BS....I think it's time for you to get a custom board! I know a guy that's getting a few Soulcraft boards in stock, plain white. Let me know, I will put you in touch. The Walker Project Bomp Pop will be to buoyant for you. The Idol Wakersurfers and Evercarve Wakesurfers are worth doing some research on.

If you could do everything you do on a Tsnuami, I could imagine how much your skills could advance on a custom. I mean, add at least 15 inches to your airs. If not custom, I will automatically go with a Ronix Parks Carbon Thruster. You will also rip it up on a 4'8 Byerly Hazard. Remove the back two fins, make it a twin and she will start dancing. I enjoy mine, but wish I would have gone smaller.

I have the CWB Tsnuami and have rode it for years, I am 6' 210lbs....great board...then I moved to Ronix Koal.....ok board but had issues loosing wake at times, then moved to Parks Carbon Thruster and ohhh ya best board have ever riden, fast, responsive and man can i get back from the boat with no issues coming back. I have a very steep wake, board seems to love it, sits on top well and handles coming down fast and carving hard.....cant comment about getting air on it as I am not at that level but the rest of the riding is awesome

I have the CWB Tsnuami and have rode it for years, I am 6' 210lbs....great board...then I moved to Ronix Koal.....ok board but had issues loosing wake at times, then moved to Parks Carbon Thruster and ohhh ya best board have ever riden, fast, responsive and man can i get back from the boat with no issues coming back. I have a very steep wake, board seems to love it, sits on top well and handles coming down fast and carving hard.....cant comment about getting air on it as I am not at that level but the rest of the riding is awesome

My feelings exactly regarding the Parks Carbon. The SG wave is steep, tall, and kind of short in length. The board seems to thrive on that type of wave. Today I will be surfing the 5'1 board. Last week I surfed the 4'7 and did pretty good. I could feel sometimes chugging a little water. I am 5'9 195lbs. It's not much of a buoyant board.

BS...I wish you did not live so far!!!

Hey B,

You may want to check out the '14 One. The only reason that I bring it up is that I've heard you talk about that board being perfect if it were just a little more responsive. The '14 can be had in a full carbon construction, so I wonder if that would be the thing that would make it responsive enough for you (I really don't know, just guessing that it might). Anyway, I kinda think that you deserve a custom board as well, but I thought that I'd throw it out there if you came across one that you could try.

Every Soulcraft is a 1 off, they are hand made in SoCal. We will get you a 'demo' discount, meaning those who contribute to this thread get to ride it :) I can get you Jeff's e-mail address and you guys can figure out what board will be best for you. You should send him a few vids of you surfing today. I need to place another Soulcraft order soon.

Bobby-I rode the P5 Trident tonight for first time (boat sale), it's different but might be the hybrid surf/skim style you are looking for. Feel free to take it for a spin.

Edited by skurfer

Every Soulcraft is a 1 off, they are hand made in SoCal. We will get you a 'demo' discount, meaning those who contribute to this thread get to ride it :) I can get you Jeff's e-mail address and you guys can figure out what board will be best for you. You should send him a few vids of you surfing today. I need to place another Soulcraft order soon.

Bobby-I rode the P5 Trident tonight for first time (boat sale), it's different but might be the hybrid surf/skim style you are looking for. Feel free to take it for a spin.

Are you really going to get or assist BS in getting a Soulcraft demo?

I also rode the Trident yesterday...liked it a lot. First skim that works for me, or is it a hybrid of sorts.

I would say the trident is a hybrid looks a lot like my model X. Never ridden it but I am digging my model X.

I hope to try that Model X one day. I still have not gotten comfortable on the Colt. It feels like I have to jam the rails into the wave. Once I jam them in there it likes to push me out. Then I end up riding the rails on the back end of the board with the nose tilted away from the wave. I hope that makes sense. Hard to explain. I am still enjoying the board, but need to learn .

Edited by Afun

Are you really going to get or assist BS in getting a Soulcraft demo?

I also rode the Trident yesterday...liked it a lot. First skim that works for me, or is it a hybrid of sorts.

We have something in the works.

• 2 weeks later...