Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Marine Power Ls3

tnsatbhs

I'm looking at ordering a 2014 23lsv and have been debating on what engine. I was thinking about the ls3, but now that they changed to marine power for the ls3 I don't know any more. What do you guys think about marine power? Still worth it for the ls3? Btw, the marine power ls3 is no cheaper of an option than the indmar one was.

Ofcourse it's not cheaper to you. To Malibu.........I have my suspicions.

I would not buy the first year personally. The LS3 is a proven platform, but who knows what Marine Power is doing to the thing and how they are going about marinizing it. Then the question of the tune comes into play and how much inboard/towboat expierience do they have? I wouldn't want to be the test bed, not for that kind of dough. I know for a fact,even with Indmar they have had issues with tunes, cooling system routing, ect on that platform. I would trust Indmar before Marine Power in the practical expierience realm. They have been doing inboards for a looooong time.

• Like 3

I'm looking at ordering a 2014 23lsv and have been debating on what engine. I was thinking about the ls3, but now that they changed to marine power for the ls3 I don't know any more. What do you guys think about marine power? Still worth it for the ls3? Btw, the marine power ls3 is no cheaper of an option than the indmar one was.

How much more is the LS3 over what engine, the monsoon?

There are several on this site that have experienced problems with the LS3 overheating. Not sure if they have fixed that problem.

Your also taking a car/somewhat high performance engine, and trying to make it into a marine/boat engine. Not sure if the 2 applications are really compatible. RPM usage and needs are much different. The LS3 is a great engine, but maybe not when plopped in a boat.

I have skied behind the 6.0. Great hole shot/low end TQ and from what I have read seems to be a better fit for a marine application. And probably quite a bit cheaper than the 6.2 aluminum.

http://www.gmpowertrain.com/MarineEnginesControllers/Introduction.aspx

Edited by happypappy

Yeah, everything you guys have said is a huge concern of mine. For a $9000 option I certainly don't want to be a test subject. I don't really want to pay $16000 for the LSA either, so that leaves me with the monsoon or the l96.

Malibu/Indmar had to fix my 2013 LS3 ... it was having an overheating issue because the closed cooling resevoir was too small. They fixed it very well. A new metal resevoir with a 2nd overflow (plastic) and I have had no other issues. Super engine. I am very pleased with it. It was a pricey upgrade but one that I have no regrets on, even with the 2-3 weeks of back and forth with dealer/indmar re: service for the close cooling boil-overs.

I know that it is not Marine Power ... but if Malibu and MP stand behind their product ... you should be covered. The risk for me would be in the first year or two ... and should be covered by warranty.

I have the Indmar LS3 and it has been flawless since the day we picked it up.

There has been great consensus that the Monsoon with the ACME 2315 is a great setup on the LSV, even when loaded up with lots of ballast. The MXZ boats for some reason need more power to plane off and that is why I opted for the LS3.

I have the Indmar LS3 and it has been flawless since the day we picked it up.

There has been great consensus that the Monsoon with the ACME 2315 is a great setup on the LSV, even when loaded up with lots of ballast. The MXZ boats for some reason need more power to plane off and that is why I opted for the LS3.

Yeah, I've heard the same thing. Looks like that will likely be the set up i end up going with. You can order them with the 2315 already on them as well.

In your debate over the 5.7l monsoon and the 6.0l . I have had both and would choose the 6.0l every time. I am seeing much better fuel consumption out of the 6.0l in a much larger boat vs. the 5.7l.

It runs smoother and the power delivery feels more linear IMO.

In your debate over the 5.7l monsoon and the 6.0l . I have had both and would choose the 6.0l every time. I am seeing much better fuel consumption out of the 6.0l in a much larger boat vs. the 5.7l.

It runs smoother and the power delivery feels more linear IMO.

Thanks for the input. The cost to upgrade to the 6.0L is a little easier to handle as well.

On top of that, I remember marine power not being to great when Tige ran them. Makes me wonder.

The only thing that's the same from those marine power engines is the name. I met the guys from marine power at the malibu dealer meeting. I would have no reservations on ordering an ls3 from them. They have the R & D time and knowledge to put together a great engine.

The only thing that's the same from those marine power engines is the name. I met the guys from marine power at the malibu dealer meeting. I would have no reservations on ordering an ls3 from them. They have the R & D time and knowledge to put together a great engine.

All that from meeting them at a dealer meeting!! keen powers of observation

On top of that, I remember marine power not being to great when Tige ran them. Makes me wonder.

Yeah, i heard they put $2.5 mil into their facility and redid a lot of things. I just dont want to be the guinea pig for a $9000 option.

The other question I have to ask is this. How much return will you really see in resale for the 9k engine upgrade? Typically you may see 2-3k more depending on how long you wait to sell. After 5 years it means nothing. All the boats in that age range are priced relatively the same regardless of engine selection.

Lots of opinions here and not always the experience behind it. I'm all about having an INDMAR engine in my boat. But that said, the torque curve of a 410 is not well suited for anything bigger than a VTX unless you prop it way way down.

I would go with the LS3 in a 23 LSV unless you can get the LSA, which is truly the best engine offered right now.

Many dealers and customers are having great luck with the monsoon 350 in a 23 LSV because of its awesome low end torque - but money would be in an LS3 or LSA.

The 410 is perfect in a VTX and I foot, ride and surf behind one of my customers nearly every week. It's a great engine to allow us to perform all WaterSports with it. But, another customer with the 410 in his 23 would like to have more.

Food for thought-

Peter

All I am saying is that I had a VTX with a 5.7 and an OJ fusion prop that I ran for 5 seasons. I knew fuel consumption in that boat well.

I now have a 247 with the 6.0l and the 2315 prop . It pulls 4000k plus people just fine . Still can hit 40ish mph. I also know fuel consumption on this boat as I have calculated it now several times this season. It's much better than the little VTX with 3200lbs of ballast. I really only surf.

I don't care what the charts say. This is my real world experience. I too was worried because of the performance charts and all the stuff I read here before I bought the boat. I'm not worried anymore, formed my own opinion and found the 6.0l has been just fine in the biggest boat they make.

Lots of opinions here and not always the experience behind it. I'm all about having an INDMAR engine in my boat. But that said, the torque curve of a 410 is not well suited for anything bigger than a VTX unless you prop it way way down.

I would go with the LS3 in a 23 LSV unless you can get the LSA, which is truly the best engine offered right now.

Many dealers and customers are having great luck with the monsoon 350 in a 23 LSV because of its awesome low end torque - but money would be in an LS3 or LSA.

The 410 is perfect in a VTX and I foot, ride and surf behind one of my customers nearly every week. It's a great engine to allow us to perform all WaterSports with it. But, another customer with the 410 in his 23 would like to have more.

Food for thought-

Peter

You're always a great source of accurate info Peter. So here goes. What do you gain having the LS3 (6.2) in an LSV over the 6.0?

Are the internals better on the 6.2?, ie rotating parts? I know the 6.2 is AL so there is a weight savings of say 200 # over the 6.0...but say 3000# total, 200 # is nothing.

And the difference at peak TQ: the 6.0 is 400+TQ at 4000 rpm, while ya gotta rev the 6.2 up to 5000 rpm to get max TQ. Seems the 6.0 power curve is better suited for a boat than the 6.2. ANd although you get approx. 20TQ more with the 6.2....is that really noticeable?

And with the VVT of the 6.0, doesn't that help the low end TQ?

It seems as if both HO and TQ are negliable, and with the 6.0 max TQ at a lower rpm than the 6.2, the 6.0 has more usable power in the rpm range that you need and want it the most.

ANd one last question: are the heads the same? both are high flow AL, but are they the same?

Now if wa all could afford it, the LSA is the way to go...would love to be able to listen to is spool up as I zipping across the lake!!

I am just curious. and thanks

Edited by happypappy

I went out on a 14 lsv with the ls3 yesterday (Wayne's), and I can tell you that, coming from a 13 with the 350 and torque prop, if I order a 14 lsv, ill opt for the ls3. The boat drove effortlessly even with factory full, full wedge, 750s full and 600 in the bow. The surf wave was simply amazing.

You're always a great source of accurate info Peter. So here goes. What do you gain having the LS3 (6.2) in an LSV over the 6.0?

Are the internals better on the 6.2?,

LS3 makes more power across the board. Better heads, better intake, more aggressive and lighter cam, bigger bore aluminum block, higher compression ratio - the works. It's also a more expensive engine to build, but Indmar/Malibu throw in their extra profit over the cost difference which is why it is such an expensive upgrade.