Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Prop Help VLX

topherhill

I have a 2008 Vlx at 4500 ft above sea level. I have a acme 1235 right now and running full stock ballast, 450's in rear lockers 800 in the nose with only two people in the boat. no wedge. It takes forever to plane out, and with everything full I have to be below a half tank on gas, but if im full I have to empty the stock rear tanks to about 75% and about 75% on the center tank or even a little more then that, and its super nose heavy and have too be super careful not to put the nose under. Iv tried putting weight in different places and everything and this has been the heaviest I can get it while planing out.

I want to be able to run all stock full, 450's in the rear lockers, 800 in the cab, and 800 in the nose while be able to plane out. Im just wondering what prop would be best for this set up and my situation with the elevation cause the acme 1235 just isn't doing it. I have talked to wake makers and guys at acme, and just read what other people have been talking about but it has been between like 4 or 5 different props. Wakemakers suggested the 2315. But the 15in kind of scares me because alot of people have said once its under 1in clearance from the haul of the boat it can cause damage and wear a hole, and be hard on boats under 22ft. Some members suggested the 2419, but again is a 15in. Then the one Im most interested in I think is the acme 2079. The guys at acme told me that would be the best bet, but I cant find anything about it or anyone that has used it. Can anyone help me out on making the best choice for a prop. I want my best option for pulling as much as i possibly can, but without doing damage to my boat.

Also please put in any insight you may have that could help if its weighting or anything. Thanks guys!

Take 300 out of the nose put it surf side center or back I maybe wrong but this may fix some of it. Besides that I would say the 2315 I don't have one but a friend does and has had great luck with it. Also as I have said many time new plugs in a boat can make a world of difference. I would use NGK.

either of the 15" props will work fine. I've been running 2315 on my 09 LSV for two summers now and not a problem with the hull at all. You will be fine. And yes it will definitely help with your problem. Much better pulling power over the 1235.

Plugs, cap and rotor, move weight 300 out of the front to center or maybe a little toward the back. First no real cost in that worth a try. If it doesn't give you what you want 2315 prop.

2315/2419

tried both of these after having the 1235... either one kills the 1235 and both are buttery smooth. You should be able to get your full ballast up with full fuel and a handful of crew members. And I dissagree with removing bow weight, that boat loves loves loves bow weight.... leave it, plus moving 300 from bow to center or rear will just increase your difficulty of planing, you never see people moving from the bow to the sun deck on a slumping boat to get it to plane, but we do often move passengers from the cab to the bow to fascilitate that...

Never tested 2079, same cup and pitch as 2315, just 1/2" diameter smaller.... I hear it is great. I have had the 2315 on my boat for a couple months and have had no gel issues so far.

what clearance is there with the 2315?

3/4? 1/2?

3/4" maybe a little more. I can fit my hand between it and the hull. I have pretty big paws. Most all the newer bu's have a 16 degree strut so the puts the prop at the same distance from the hull.

how would the 2079 compare to the 2315?

Very very similar... might get slightly higher RPMs because of a little less swinging mass and a little less bite on the water. Prob for most folks, wouldnt be able to tell a difference between the 2.

But with that low of a pitch prop, taking such small steps... no real reason not to go 15" unless there was a clearance issue, like a 233 ENZO, physically could not fit a 2315...but could fit a 2079. Any of our engines can swing a 15x12 up to max RPMs.

Very very similar... might get slightly higher RPMs because of a little less swinging mass and a little less bite on the water. Prob for most folks, wouldnt be able to tell a difference between the 2.

But with that low of a pitch prop, taking such small steps... no real reason not to go 15" unless there was a clearance issue, like a 233 ENZO, physically could not fit a 2315...but could fit a 2079. Any of our engines can swing a 15x12 up to max RPMs.

So if you were to pick between the two, if the 2315 is $715 and the 2079 I can get for $515, is the 2315 going to be $200 better in performance?

So if you were to pick between the two, if the 2315 is $715 and the 2079 I can get for $515, is the 2315 going to be $200 better in performance?

You want the 2315. Not that its $200 better in performance.... but in the event you want to sell or change... you can sell that prop immediately ised for $500. There is a reason its the #1 prop in demand right now.