Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Adding a Sony remote to the Stern

Brodie

I have a Sony headunit with the regular(no display) wired remote up front and I would like to add the Remote with display to the stern. I don't like the idea of cutting a 3 1/4" hole in the back of the boat unless I am sure this is the way to go. Any insight or reviews of these remotes? I always use either my iphone or ipod for music, so I would like to control and see the tracks while on the platform.

IMO, I wouldn't do it. We almost never used the one we had on our 2005 Rlxi with Sony head unit and remote. The transom remote got wet and shorted and we had to replace it. The new remote was much better than the old one but I always worried about it getting wet. We did not get a transom remote on the Txi.

I have one of those on my boat and it is great unless you want to skip tracks using pandora or any other app besides the stock music app. While listening to pandora through the iphone, if you hit next track, it will start playing the music that is stored on your iphone. I guess its really a feature of the head unit more so than the remote, but its something I was hoping would work better. What I do now, is I got a lifeproof nuud case, the lifeproof life jacket, and the wetsounds bluetooth module and control it all from the rear of the boat. I just use the sony transom remote for volume.

• Like 2

Dont do it... you won't like it. At one time I had 3 units that could control the head unit on my boat the x60M remote on the dash and the xm10b for the transome remote. I also have a boost box that is sony compatible. Here is the biggest problem

1. Sony's do not work well if you have more than 1 remote. If you have more than 1 Sony remote like i do they can get confused if they are touched at the same time. when this happens the entire system locks up and you cant control anything from any remote... this happens more often than you think .. this has happened on my boat where the head unit locks up at near max volume. The only solution is to pull the power from the entire stero it and basically do a re-boot.

2. you have to cut a big hole in your boat if you want a good one. . unless you use an older style remote like this one RXM10B it just mounts and only needs about 1/2 inch hole big enough for the wires to fit through

3. People bump it, lean on it while putting on boards , climbing in,

4 people have used it to Mess with the driver.

5 even though they are supposed to be waterproof they do still fail sometimes.

6 they will not always compatible with iphones. etc.

I've now got an Alpine deck (used to have a Sony) and two remotes (one under the dash, one on the transom) on my boat and use them both all the time. I run an IPOD about 99.9% of the time so it's nice to be able to change the tracks and/or volume without too much effort.

I've now got an Alpine deck (used to have a Sony) and two remotes (one under the dash, one on the transom) on my boat and use them both all the time. I run an IPOD about 99.9% of the time so it's nice to be able to change the tracks and/or volume without too much effort.

This is kind of what I was wondering. I have always had Alpine head units and wondering if I should start over with Alpine HU and remotes or just add the sony Remote. I don't have any complaints with the Sony so far.

I like this idea:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500RUEM1RF/Alpine-RUE-M1RF.html

I would just attach it to the hand rail on the back of the boat. no cutting!

Edited by Brodie

No problems with either the X-55M or X-60M remotes on the transom. Used the X-55M for the past 6 years without any problems, when with the X-60M when I upgraded my head unit. Have another remote without display for the driver and its been fine or 9 years and no problems ever running to remotes. X-60M works fine with the kids I-pods or it should work with an I-phone.

Sony X-55M remote for sale.

This is kind of what I was wondering. I have always had Alpine head units and wondering if I should start over with Alpine HU and remotes or just add the sony Remote. I don't have any complaints with the Sony so far.

I like this idea:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500RUEM1RF/Alpine-RUE-M1RF.html

I would just attach it to the hand rail on the back of the boat. no cutting!

I previously had a Sony unit (with one remote) before I switched over to Alpine. There was nothing wrong with my Sony unit, it worked fine. I also had a Sony unit on my saltwater fishing boat with an outside remote that worked fine as well. I've had Alpine stuff in the past in my cars so when it came time for a new deck (with direct IPOD control), I decided to go with the Alpine. I've had the new deck (and remotes) going on 2 years and no problems whatsoever.

Edited by Zombie