Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Has anybody ever made a rain fly?

Big Jay D

It seems like I get caught in the rain during the Monsoon all the time. I usually just wait it out in a cove but during the crazy downpour that lasts 10 minutes the boat gets super wet. Not under the bimini but the water runs off the bimini onto the seats and into the cubbies. So the carpet gets wet. All the ropes, tubes, coolers get wet too. Even out here in the desert it takes a couple of days to dry it out. I was thinking of making some sort of rain fly that I could roll out fairly quick to try and keep some water out of the boat.

Just looking for any experiences that anyone may have had.

Same issues in Nm at times, I usually take my cover along and rig it up over the bow and back to mid deck. Gives us a place to hide, and keeps quite a bit of water out of the boat. at least it catches half of what would run off the bimini!

I have brought one of these Kelty ultra light tarps along. They make a few different sizes. I have the 12'x12' tarp. It's big enough to cover the entire main cabin; over the bimini and behind it; but not the bow area. It's very light and super packable.

http://www.rei.com/product/808940/kelty-noahs-tarp-12-x-12

Good for a brief rain shelter, but I will head WOT to the launch if there's any lightning. I don't want anywhere near the illusion tower when the lightning starts.

• Like 1

To change the oil while it was rating I opened the sun pad doors over the engine/bins and simply hooked up a tarp over the doors to over the Bimini, took only a few minutes to set up. It would have been quicker if I had made it beforehand and had the right bungees to hook into the lifting hooks at the back of the boat.

It was ghetto, but it had potential.

I have a pic, but too much hassle from my phone.

I actually made something this week for a weekend trip we are taking this weekend. I will have to post pictures later. Two 8 ounces canvas drop clothes from HD, one 9x12 for the back and one 9x6 for the front. I installed grommets in the canvas and attach it with bungies to the tower bow and transom. Primary design was to easily cover the boat when slipped at night, it's always a pain to install the towable cover when slipped. But it will also work good as a rain fly.

Edited by JustinOSU

....... it's always a pain to install the towable cover when slipped.

I don't get this. Takes me about 3 minutes to put the Evo cover on. And I have 4 tower legs. Would be even less with an Illusion tower.

What kind of cover?

I like the tent idea. Would be cool if it was cut & shaped so it fit snug over the tower & entire boat. But I question how easy it would be to setup when your out on the water in a rain storm.

Heres a full canopy on an LSV. The guy is on Lake Powell & camps in the boat. Looks about like what Levi needs, but will have to work around the snaps.

fullcanvas.jpg

Edited by Bill_AirJunky