Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looking for a thread on websites for used boats?

TrickyNicky

There was a not so old thread about websites to search for used boats, I can't seem to find it. Can anyone find it or just start listing threads.

BTW, this thread may turn into finding an SN196 for skiing/footing only. Anything to look for? BTW, the search is for a friend.

I use searchtempest.com

For the 196 I can only speak for the skiing wake. Early to 1996 ski wakes are large and firm, especially at slower speeds. 1997-1999 (bubble butt) have a great great ski wake. The 2000-2009 196s have slightly better wakes and less spray, but the price it goes up I don't think its worth it, unless you want to get into ZO.

If you want to use it for a footing boat I would probably look for one with the GT-40. All the Nautiques I have driven seem to be a bit under powered, I haven't driven one with the GT-40. My 1995 Tige with a carburated 350 has much much more out of the hole than my friends 2006 206 SN (this test was done with my seat of the pants acceler-o-meter I bought from Harbor Frieght.)

And the last thing, the props turn the wrong way ;).

Edited by Joeprunc

I use searchtempest.com

For the 196 I can only speak for the skiing wake. Early to 1996 ski wakes are large and firm, especially at slower speeds. 1997-1999 (bubble butt) have a great great ski wake. The 2000-2009 196s have slightly better wakes and less spray, but the price it goes up I don't think its worth it, unless you want to get into ZO.

If you want to use it for a footing boat I would probably look for one with the GT-40.

And the last thing, the props turn the wrong way ;).

Yes our old club boat is an '02 196 so were familiar with it. He was driving the VTX last night as we tried to tighten the course and kept commenting how it reversed the wrong way :lol: .

I'm trying to see if I can get him a test ski on my friends LX, as 85 (the former instigator and now resident lurker) commented that the barefoot wake in particular is far better than the 196.