Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Barefoot Boom on VTX with G3

NorrisRyan

Has anyone installed a Barefoot International V-Drive boom on a VTX with a G3? I talked with Mike Seiple about it he told me that I would need a taller pylon on my 2014 but that can be purchased from No Wake Marine in Cincinnati and that the boom only kicks up 24" which which would hit the tower so that it will have to go out at an angle. He also recommended 1 or 2 extensions. Sounds like it will work. This will used almost exclusively for bare footing on a 5 or 10' line so the angle really shouldn't matter. In fact it will get the boom tip farther up the boat which is better.

Would love to but Malibu won't warranty a new boat with it.

Did you talk to Peter about that? He is a Malibu dealer, and the boom designer. One would hope he got that figured out.

Issues with what wouldn't be covered? Stress cracks around the tower or the tower itself are the only two things it might affect. In which case when you take it in to the dealer just remove the boom mounts. Even if it's under the tower feet it shouldn't take too much to do it.

Aftermarket vehicle customizers have been doing this for decades.

Edit: and I would recommend talking to Peter directly as well.

Edit 2: NVM here he is in the next post.

Edited by jk13

Malibu will not cover any issues from using the BI tower boom either. Warranty does not cover any aftermarket installs on a tower, even if you purchase the same speakers and mount them, since they were not factory installed they and the tower will not be covered if anything gets damaged or fails.

Talk to some of the guys that use the BI tower boom before you buy it. I know it's much less expensive, but there a few guys that you could buy the ones they took off so they could install the Sidewinder boom.

Edit: I just realized you were talking about the Quad-v boom, with not one, but two extensions and a retrofit pylon. That's not covered either. :) Not as much of a PITA to use as the BI tower boom, but still no picnic.

Peter

Edited by SmoothWaterMan

I have used a BI Tower boom for the last 9 yrs. No complaints.

Its a 2 person task to put it on while on the water. I wouldn't say its a PITA.

Does BI make a tower boom for the G3?

The Sidewinder looks like a solid solution.

Ryan,

Just get the sidewinder. I understand your worried about warranty and I'm not sure how long you keep your boat but I think your making a BIG mistake! If a G3 wasn't 10k I would have one JUST so I could have a tower boom. You'll use it more, it seems it's easier to use/setup and you don't have to take the whole thing off everytime. Not to mention it's not taking up half your seating. Seriously screw the warranty and get the boom.

As for the v-drive boom. We have it and yes you'll need an extended pylon (assuming it's the same as the 07). Something you can buy from malibu. G3 will be slightly different but we can run ours in front or behind the tower base. We always run in front with a forward angle, still no problem for us even when we're on the boom just a slight awkwardness in the arms. When on a rope of course there is no problem. We had an extension and I recommend it to get out of spray some of the time. I say had because for the last 2 years we can't seem to find it anywhere :crazy: . As a result we use no extensions. 2 extensions would be complete overkill, but 1 I recommend although not required. You will also want a height adjuster. Even with the extended pylon the boom will still be angled up and be just high enough to be a bit awkward when footing on the boom. Trying to teach any small or young people anything on the boom barefooting or something else is VERY difficult. My little cousin may as well have been hanging as the boom was above his head when he was trying to ski for the first time. So get a height adjuster.

All this being said it's going to add up, it's going to be heavy, it's going to be cumbersome to put on, maneuver, wrench clamp (which by the way won't allow you to open EITHER rear hatch), and it is going to take up all the seating from the pylon to the driver. So please do yourself a favour and get the sidewinder. I'm not saying the v-boom doesn't work, I'm not even going to say it's not worth it because it is, but I would be footing every weekend (40 times) if I could have a sidewinder, instead I foot 5 times a year.

And no I have never met peter, don't believe we have ever spoken, this is just a straight up honest "I told you so" :cheers:

BTW, this is the lowest we can set the boom with the extended pylon. The only adjustments to make it taller are 2 guys on the non-boom side (1 guy on boom side). So proof you should get the height adjuster.

NoHands.jpg

(Plus another plug on the pic because I'm so damn stoked :yahoo: )

It would be great if you would come back after you make your purchase to let us know what you ended up getting & what your thoughts on it are. Vdrive booms aren't very commonly purchased items & someone researching the topic down the line would probably be grateful.

Absolutely. You have no idea how helpfull it has reading everything possible while ordering a new boat even though this is my 5th in 15 years. In the past I have always bought used. The forums help us make better educated decisions based on our personal criteria. I "thought" I knew everything about Malibu boats until I had to place the order. I would have never been able to make the right decisions upfront without everyone's help. Thank you.

Come to find out technically any boom could potentially compromise the warranty. A boom is a must for our family. All considered I am going to buy the best boom out there for my boat. The Sidewinder far exceeds any other option so that is what I am purchasing. I don't think I will have any regrets.

• 3 weeks later...

Where can I buy the tower mount boom for a vtx ???

Contact Peter (Smoothwaterman) on here. He is a dealer and created the G3 tower boom.