Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Watersports helmets

AirChair1

I've been searching for years for a really large helmet for watersports. Over the weekend I tried to squash my head into a Gath helmet (size XL) and it nearly fit. I am considering buying one and have a few questions:

1. Does anyone know of any helmet larger than the Gath XL? (I've looked for

years unsuccessfully)

2. Is the Gath helmet a good helmet? It seems quite thin and doesn't seem nearly

as protective as bicycle and snow ski helmets I have worn in the past.

3. What is a reasonable price to pay for a Gath Helmet?

4. Could anyone provide a good online source for Gath helmets?

5. Have any of you had a hydrofoil tbar come around and hit you in the head while

wearing a Gath Helmet? If so, how did the helmet (and your head) survive the

encounter....?

thanks,

Jeff/AirChair1

I have the pro-tec wake ace and love it. I get plenty of jeers from the boat and onlookers, but other than that I wouldn't know it was there when skiing. I bought it mainly for barefooting to avoid those blown out eardrums.

Don't know what size it is, but I imagine DougHickey's got a stylin' baseball helmet with taped up earholes laying around somewhere that he's not using anymore...

ROFL.gif

I bought a Pro Tec white water rafting helmet at REI for about $40.

It has ear protection with vent holes that I covered with duct tape.

You want it to fit pretty tight like when you're trying on life jackets. When you hit the water hard, you don't want it shifting all around and pulling on your ears. Ouch.

Also, I think there is some reasoning behind wearing helmets and increased neck strains due to the added surface area.

If your Tbar ever comes around and hits you, you need to add ankle straps. Again, $15 from REI.

I've got the Pro-Tec also and really like it. I originally bought an XL and had to size down to a L because it moved around a lot once I got it wet. In the store I would never have believed that the L would be right. Highly recommended...

Also, if you end up using tape for the earholes make sure it is the original silver duct tape. You can't be cool without it! ;)

No pun needed: I've hit it right on the head many times. It's truly impressive how quickly you can smack the water from an upright position! Surprised.gif

Carve hit it right on the head. No pun intended.

I originally had a XL also but, moved down to L.

Mike,

Where did you get yours?  I need to get a good helmet this year, wrecking is the only thing that I consistently do well. Biggrin.gif

Methinks you're being too modest...:)

We bought our helmet at Bend Ski & Board Sport on Galveston. They had them marked way down at the end of the summer. I'm pretty sure they've got them back in stock now...

There are now lots of other good options with the rise of wakeboarding/wakeskating and sliding....  Check out the following:

http://www.pro-tec.net/

pro-tec's largest appears to be significantly too small but I may get desperate

and give it a try.  It isn't that expensive.

http://www.capixco.com/

Capix helmets only come in two sizes.  Given my past history of nothing fitting

my fat a** head, I am VERY leary of a two sizes fits all option.

JZ

Thanks for the suggestions.

Jeff/AirChair1

If your Tbar ever comes around and hits you, you need to add ankle straps. Again, $15 from REI.

I bought ankle straps for my old AirChair 5+ years ago after it spun around on a crash and cracked open someone's head. I have already broken one set of ankle straps. My Sky Ski has cinchmax foot stays for the same reason. This is the reason I am looking for helmets. I still ocassionally come out of the foot stays.

Edited by AirChair1
I've got the Pro-Tec also and really like it. I originally bought an XL and had to size down to a L because it moved around a lot once I got it wet. In the store I would never have believed that the L would be right. Highly recommended...

What hat size do you normally wear? This may well give me some useful

guidance!

Jeff/AirChair1

Shred Ready

Different styles in both composite and plastic.

I checked out their web site. Thanks. I am a bit leary of their products since they all seem to have a bit more to resist water on a crash and seem likely to cause more neck injury risk.

Jeff/Airchair1

I think my hat size is about 7.5 or 7 5/8ths........the XL helmet has just a dash of space left in it....it has those little floppy cushion things that you can move around inside, adjust, and or take out, and still leave the ear protectors attached if you want or remove them too.

Most so called "one size fit all" baseball caps are too small for me; if that helps any.

You should be able to go into a store somewhere to try one on.

Ok, here's the "Melon" report for ProTec. I have an extra large pumpkin, so had the same worries. (This is from my notes back in Jan 2004.... I pulled out of my archives.)

ProTec said their L = Head Sizes 58-59 cm.

Protec said their XL = Head Sizes 60-61 cm.

Here's the HEAD/HAT CONVERSION:

58 cm = 22 3/4" = Size 7 1/4

59 cm = 23 1/4" = Size 7 3/8

60 cm = 23 5/8" = Size 7 1/2

61 cm = 24" = Size 7 5/8

62 cm = 24 3/8" = Size 7 3/4

I measured my noggin at 60 1/2 cm or 23 3/4" ===> Size 7 5/8 ==> XL!

So, I bought the XL, and it fits just fine!

Hope this helps.

PS. So, if your a 62 cm or hat size 7 3/4", get a haircut and squeeze into an XL.

Thanks Doug. Based on that analysis, I am probably out of luck. Even at the best my head size is a 63. Actually a bit closer to 63.5 or 64cm.... But I will probably give the Pro Tec a try. (and I just had a haircut..... )

Jeff/AirChair1

I'm a 7 5/8 hat size and ended up in the size Large ProTec. The XL rattled around on my head once we were wet.

That is the best news I have heard yet! If you could get your 7 5/8 head into a size Large Pro Tec, there is hope for me getting my fat head into the XL.

Thanks for the info!

Jeff/AirChair1

The Large felt snug in the shop and I really thought it would be too small so I bought the XL. After two sets it was obvious that the XL was too big. Thankfully the shop let us exchange it since it was still in saleable condition.