Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Towing with a VW Touareg

747captain

We are talking 2014 models here. The base Touareg with a TDI motor is 51k MSRP and includes navigation. That said you miss out on some key options and most are going to buy the TDI Lux @ 55k. Obviously people aren't paying MSRP so YMMV, but

Q7 with same options (well, ends up with a couple other goodies) = 60k.

Don't believe me in resale, take a look at Autotrader and see what 2011 Q7 and Touareg TDI's are going for. The 2011 Q7 TDI's with under 30k miles are going for around 45-50k. 2011 Touareg TDI's with under 30k miles are going for mid 30's to 40k. We are talking AT LEAST a 5k price difference in used prices.

What does the above mean? Come time to sell in a few years, you will get your price difference back. So you get to drive the nicer Audi for free.

Now for the Porsche, to get the same as the above two 2014 models mentioned, you have to go with the Cayenne Diesel with the Premium package = 65k. Since there was no diesel Cayenne in 2011 there is no way to tell. The closest would be the Cayenne S, but that currently sells for 10k more than the Cayenne Diesel and the 2011 Cayenne S models are selling for about 5k more than the Q7 TDI models.

It's not about me believing you on resale and price difference. I based my experience from actually shopping, owning, and selling a Touareg TDI. My local VW dealer is also the Audi dealer and after haggling on both, the price difference was $10K. Add the lower tow rating of the Q and my choice was easy. Resale on the VW was excellent.

Wow 2008 V10 is ultra rare.

Yep. Only found one in the country for sale when I was looking. Had to have it shipped from Washington to NC. The only thing I'm missing is the adaptive cruise (which is almost impossible to find from what I can tell) and rear locker.

Its an awesome ride and motor though.

Edited by jesutton3

I'm all for "small" tow rigs doing big jobs but there is a trend here, everyone who tows with one has a VLX or smaller. Not saying don't go for it but look into it further. We have a Land Rover LR3, tow capacity 7700 lbs and tongue weight 770 lbs (hitch, tongue and ball) and it tows the VTX very well. Granted if we towed more it would be nice to have more than the 217 hp 6 banger. But needless to say a smaller tow vehicle with decent weight, good tech, and most importantly good brakes can certainly get the job done. I highly recommend trying to find something with air suspension if possible.

Summary: Thumbs up for smaller tow vehicles doing big jobs, but do some more research on how far your LSV stretches that.

Here's my 2.7L TD LR4 and we average about 12.7L/100km (18.5 MPG) fuel consumption when towing. The towing is Brilliant and barely notice the boat on the back. My brother has the 3.0L twin turbo motor in his and it is even better with the extra torque.

What's also really handy is the air suspension enabling me to raise and lower the suspension between access and offroad height to either lift or drop the back of the trailer, great when reversing up gutters or changing trailer angle on steep ramps etc

whfq.jpg

Here's my 2.7L TD LR4 and we average about 12.7L/100km (18.5 MPG) fuel consumption when towing. The towing is Brilliant and barely notice the boat on the back. My brother has the 3.0L twin turbo motor in his and it is even better with the extra torque.

What's also really handy is the air suspension enabling me to raise and lower the suspension between access and offroad height to either lift or drop the back of the trailer, great when reversing up gutters or changing trailer angle on steep ramps etc

Ya I'm a huge LR fan especially after owning one. We average 17L/100km (13.8 MPG)....when NOT towing. The V6 gasser just doesn't like the weight of the vehicle. Never feels like shes struggling but shes a thirsty one. I've heard much better results on the V8 and can only imagine the diesels as they are not yet available in NA. (to my knowledge) :rant: