Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1986 Skier Parts

Millertime77

Hello, I am a new , well, old Malibu owner I guess I should say. Just bought a 1986 Malibu Skier and I have only limited info nad specs on the boat. Does anyone know where I can find specs on the engine for my boat ? All I know is it is a Ford based marine 351 c.i. engine. I am trying to replace a few parts i.e. alternator and water pump and need to know what replacement parts I can successfully use to complete the repairs.

Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

[email protected]

It will be a Windsor, for the most part same parts as an automotive engine. The water pump will be the same as in a car, the marine alternator will be spark protected, or was originally, if your using the blower and all, should be fine with a automotive alt.

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

Replaced alternator through skidim, they were great. I appreciate the advice. Now on to other projects, I need a 24-30 inch section of the rigid rub rail replaced. I think I can tackle this but need to know how to find the correct rail for my 86 skier. I have read lots of stuff in these blogs but all seems inconclusive. Anyone have any old rub rail laying around ? I am getting my entire interior re-done by a local shop who seems to know what they are doing, carpet , and all seat skins. We'll see but I have checked out the progress and am pleased so far with what i have seen.

I guess another option is completely replacing the rub rail, the rail on my boat seems to be about 1 1/16 of an inch ? Would going to a larger rub rail be a problem ? Would a larger rail fit properly ? I am looking at going to a 1 1/2 inch size to beef it up a bit or is this a terrible idea ?

It was 80 degrees this weekend after last week being in 30's crazy Texas weather , but it sure made we want to hit the water !

Welcome to the site!

Good question on the rub rail.

I know Go2Marine has a ton of rails and good cross section pics so if you can match your that would work.

I know Taco Marine supplies several OEM's with rub rails but I'm not sure Malibu is one. Might be worth a call to get their advice.

Another good one with lots of pics and cross section drawings.....

http://www.rubrails.com/

Good luck with the rebuild!

• Like 1