Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

transom vent speakers?

kayakwv

can you mount small speakers in that area? Just wondering if that would be an option for additional rear facing speakers. I know there is not much room in the VLX vents.

Yes someone has done it. Use the search function. (Not to be a jerk, just :lazy: )

Edited by TrickyNicky

there was a stereo guy in portland who did it.... can't remember his name now for the life of me. Really nice custom job. Might have been component speakers now that I'm thinking about it.

Pretty sure that thread went down in flames with the rest of the stereo forum when the earth got scorched a couple of years back.

Edited by shawndoggy

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/42717-rear-facing-speaker-install/?hl=%2Brear+%2Bvent+%2Bspeakers

Pretty small area behind the grille.

Wonder how much space there is in front of that to cut it out and shape your own horn to fit, moving the speakers further inboard where there is more space. Mark Eldridge's 4Runner had front components up near the headlights and custom fiberglass horns running from there to the dash. Different reason (imaging vs. space) but anything can be done.

He's gone now. Was a red LSV, think he was in the Eugene area, Soundsations or something like that. And yes it was components, not HLCD's.

Portland, eugene, close enough! I'm sure you remember the pics of his wife....

(shakes head). I thought Kramer built custom tower pods and put a max SQ setup in there without any horns anywhere on that boat. I think he doesnt have the boat these days... thought I heard something about a big D that happend. I'll riing him today and ask. If Brian did have hlcd's I'd be willing to be it sounded good because hes so into SQ.

No he did not have HLCD's back there, and Yes I rememeber his wife. She was in every damn photo. I think she has the boat now.....and the truck.......and maybe the shop? Who knows. I think Vince was the one telling me about him. Knows him I think.

can you mount small speakers in that area? Just wondering if that would be an option for additional rear facing speakers. I know there is not much room in the VLX vents.

Here is the most critical part of installing speakers in the rear vents (like tail lights). It's not enough to simply secure the speakers. The fullrange or midbass speaker must be front to rear isolated. Unless the speaker is acoustically isolated (pretty well sealed) and damped (some acoustic resistance), it will not play lower midrange and will not handle any level of power. And that is a problem for a speaker at the exterior of the boat that is expected to play loud enough to project a bit. A tweeter, on the other hand, can be suspended only without the need for a mounting baffle or isolation. So this can be a challenge. To get a solid mounting and seal you need a flat surface area of around 6" in diameter for a 5.25" speaker or around 7" in diameter for a 6.5" speaker. A 4"X6" might be an easier fit in the vent but that is not a powerful enough speaker for the job by any standard.

David

This is far from a professional install and the sound is only good for floating around the back of the boat as a background for the conversation. I do not have a tower, so the other option was to turn up the interior level, which was then a problem if anyone stayed in the boat. For what i wanted, the idea is OK. In the winter, I will probably step up to something a little higher quality and do some isolation. One thing to keep in mind is to keep the area clear for air flow through the engine compartment vents.

These are Polk Audio db461 4"x 6" speakers. <$100.

And David is correct - these will not over power engine sound or noise underway - they are only used in Houseboat Mode.

post-7974-0-71923600-1378867733_thumb.jp

Edited by Soon2BV