Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

tower speakers,anyone ...?

pedjavilotic

Guys, i recently bought Wakesetter 2002,and i invested already a lot in it,but this is not the end , i want SOLID tower speakers.

I have now two alpine tube,but....i would like something that looks great, have solid sound so i can hear it when i am in the water,and most impotant NOT too expensive.

For example i like something like this

http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=2982

also wetsounds models, but too expensive for me...both options.

money is the problem,becouse just payed for a boat so i need a bit time to recover :crazy: I hoped you can suggest something solid for less money or maybe someone of you guys have used,good speakers?that would be awesome!

thanks.

p.s.

i'm thinking to put 12'' sub in front of drivers feet,but i am scared that sound will not be great, becoause i must

cut box that i made for sub...now is too big for this place.Any suggestions?

• Like 2

You are going to have to spend the money on HCLD is you want to hear music while boarding. Any tower speaker would work if you just want cove music. Those X7's posted above sound like a pretty good deal

Do it cheap and you'll be doing it over (been there done that). Save the money for two pairs of rev10s or xm9s and an amp to power them. Don't make a move till you have at least $2-3k to spend. Once you do you will be golden, and happy.

• Like 3

So I'm the minority here and installed a pair of 8" cans from Access Technologies and I can hear them crystal clear while boarding. Friends have commented on how good the system sounds as well. I know HLCD are considered the way to go, but the speakers I have serve my needs just fine. You may want to check them out. David at Earmark recommended them for my budget build a few years ago and I've been happy with them.

http://store.earmarkcaraudio.com/Xcart/home.php?cat=320

^^ What Shawn said. Reccomend you hold off... we are going into winter anyhow.... and save your $$ till you get near $2k.

$2k gets you Rev10s, a premium amp, quality wiring etc. Do it right once and you'll be done for good.

I agree with the above. The classified ads are filled with products from those who have done it over, and sometimes more than once. There is no savings in going that route.

If you must make a compromise because of budget, and you expect to get any degree of projection, then go for the 1)maximum pod displacement, and 2)maximum speaker surface area that your money will buy. There is just no substitute for those two ingredients. It may not play as loud or as far as an HLCD but at least it will give you moderate projection and be a tolerable balance of sound.

David

also,one more question.

Right now ,i have this setup

2 four chanlles amps

4 speakers inside boat

2 speakers on the tower

1 12'' sub.

Is it posible to add at least two more speakers inside boat and two more on tower with this two amps, or i need one more.....?

thanks

Pedja

also,one more question.

Right now ,i have this setup

2 four chanlles amps

4 speakers inside boat

2 speakers on the tower

1 12'' sub.

Is it posible to add at least two more speakers inside boat and two more on tower with this two amps, or i need one more.....?

thanks

Pedja

Assuming that your amplifiers are stereo 2-ohm stable and the sub is the correct impedance, then you need a minimum of four channels dedicated to the four in-boat coaxials and single subwoofer. You can safely run a combination series/parallel configuration with fairly even power distribution in order to add two more speakers to the boat interior. But in the process you will get much less power to each speaker. That's fine if it is a really big 4-channel amplifier but not a good idea for a moderate amplifier.

In the same way you can run two more speakers on the tower off the other 4-channel amplifier, but you will be sending less power to each tower speaker than you have presently. Again, certainly possible but perhaps not the best direction.

David

I agree on waiting to get the good stuff, I am no stereo guru by no means. I wish I had the money back on all of the set ups I tried until I made the commitment to two pairs of rev 10's.

Save your $$$ and your Xmas cash towards a better setup. Don't under power anything as your in an open air environment. Unlike a car or a house, all that "air" around you plus engine and wind noise makes it necessary to increase wattage.

guys,i appreciate all replys,but still i doubt i will be able to spend 2 k for new speakers.Just trying to improve what i already have...thats why i asked for something in mid range. :(

That double up is a really good deal! If you can swing that, take it. I have the pro80s & a pair of MB8s and my stuff is amazingly loud & clear. If you want performance you need to go this route. Any budget "solid" component is going to be near what used wetsounds stuff will go for.

Lots of good advice from some talented stereo electricians on this forum in this thread. I only wish I had headed the advice to start with.

Like you and many before me, I had a tough time getting over the sticker shock of what a boat stereo costs. For awhile I was convinced that I could make something work. Two generations of that idea later, (and a small fortune in time and money wasted) I jumped in and followed the advice of those who have gone before me and bought a pair of HLCD speakers and powered them correctly. The difference between coaxial and HLCD is better than adding color to your television. My "system" works well for me, it is not in the league of many of those described on this forum, but this last summer with the HLCD speakers was amazing. Go listen to a pair somewhere. Then skip the stereo upgrade until after this winter. Save like a madman and get at least one pair of good HLCD speakers and a proper amp. You can always add more to this basic start, but every dollar you put into a "get me by" solution is money that could have been spent on the solution you will eventually use.

Also, you can watch the classified ads on this forum and pick stuff up over the winter as people upgrade. Over the last two years, I picked up amps and equalizers from the crew members on this thread.

Edited by Bozboat

Lots of good advice from some talented stereo electricians on this forum in this thread. I only wish I had headed the advice to start with.

Like you and many before me, I had a tough time getting over the sticker shock of what a boat stereo costs. For awhile I was convinced that I could make something work. Two generations of that idea later, (and a small fortune in time and money wasted) I jumped in and followed the advice of those who have gone before me and bought a pair of HLCD speakers and powered them correctly. The difference between coaxial and HLCD is better than adding color to your television. My "system" works well for me, it is not in the league of many of those described on this forum, but this last summer with the HLCD speakers was amazing. Go listen to a pair somewhere. Then skip the stereo upgrade until after this winter. Save like a madman and get at least one pair of good HLCD speakers and a proper amp. You can always add more to this basic start, but every dollar you put into a "get me by" solution is money that could have been spent on the solution you will eventually use.

Also, you can watch the classified ads on this forum and pick stuff up over the winter as people upgrade. Over the last two years, I picked up amps and equalizers from the crew members on this thread.

Hm...so you are suggesting that i shoudl go for one pair?so i guess any from ,lets say XM7 or wetsound pro 60 will be good choice?i looked at web, they look quite similar and performance looks similar...opinions?thanks

Hm...so you are suggesting that i shoudl go for one pair?so i guess any from ,lets say XM7 or wetsound pro 60 will be good choice?i looked at web, they look quite similar and performance looks similar...opinions?thanks

One pair properly powered will sound very good. Then you can build from there.

^^^ This

Proper amp is very critical. I had a Pro60 powered by HT2 @ 165W per ch. Upgraded to a Rev10 recently and lend my Pro60 to my buddy who sold his Rev8. He has Syn4 powering the Pro60 and it sounds way better than when I had them on my boat