Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Adding Wedge Increases Push On SG Wave....

Afun

I also notice theirs a fine line with adding just enough wedge and too much. The wave is super clean with the wedge all the way down but steep and a little soft. When you add the bow sac their comes the push and the pocket gets a little longer but not by much. This Friday I will do it all and add the bow sac. On the other hand, a little bit too much wedge and the wave gets dirty, but the push is still there. Overall, the height on the SG wave is amazing. It feels great to fall back, push down, gain speed, and ride the wave all the way up.

I took a couple of folks out that work with a competitor brand. They told me that my wave was the biggest they have ever seen. The push with the wedge this weekend was just outstanding. It keeps on getting better and better.

Disclaimer: please keep this thread SG friendly....I think SG is still very new and we are all trying to figure it out....my experience continues to get better every time we go out. My board selection continues to improve also.

Edited by Afun

on my 06 VLX, wedge ads a ton of push, i also heavily weight my boat, its good without the wedge, but really pushes you forward with the wedge down.

Edit, i've found the more i get the boat listing with the wedge down, the cleaner wake i get.

on my 06 VLX, wedge ads a ton of push, i also heavily weight my boat, its good without the wedge, but really pushes you forward with the wedge down.

When you say down, is it all the way down? Is the wedge having more effect on the wave when it's not completely all the way down? I hope you understand that question. I do not know if your VLX has a power wedge.

When you say down, is it all the way down? Is the wedge having more effect on the wave when it's not completely all the way down? I hope you understand that question. I do not know if your VLX has a power wedge.

Yes Power wedge all the way down. I seem to get the most push that way.

I guess I don't know what you guys are referring to when you say "push" ?

The wedge slows the spin of the wave down. The wedge makes the wave pile up higher at the back of the boat. The wedge makes the wave softer. Now before anyone thinks I'm calling their wave something I'm not, I will say: Some guys have found a way to counteract or enhance these effects by speeding up or adding more bow weight or whatever. So it's possible to use the wedge and have a great wave.

That said, the wedge itself doesn't add power or spin to the wave.......the things that actually keep you surfing.

Obviously, I am still getting to know my wave. With a couple of clicks up from bottom my wave felt it had more push or spin ( energy ). This is with the lack of my bow sac. Normal bow hard tank full and two people in the bow.

The wedge has more effect when it's not all the way down. At full wedge 0% are the effects less on the boat than a couple of clicks up 38%? The use of the wedge is basically digging the boat in the water without the use of ballast. So which one has more effect?

I am surfing all day on Friday. Tellico Lake this time in Mastercraft Country and Malibu too. I am going to load all stock ballast including bow, PNP 550', and fill the fly high sac 1000lbs, and wedge 38% at 11.2mph...it's going to be awesome.

Only two people total in the boat this time. I filled up that Fly High sac only once. Got it two weeks ago. This Malibu loves the weight in front. It really makes the wave better.

I am really liking my 550 PNP sacs again. I really think they are doing the job. Bow rise is only an issue with about three people in the back of the boat. I think I am hitting the sweet spot. This is part of the excitement. Lets see what happens.

Edited by Afun

I'd speculate that your Bu loves that bow weight because you've got 1100+stock+wedge loading the back of that sucker down. Not a bad thing at all........just saying I bet that's why your boat loves the bow weight: because you've got the very back of the boat loaded. Have fun bud! Shoot some pics!

Some of the folks want me to get the 750 or 800 Ibs bags in the rear lockers. The 550's are doing the job just right.

I am surfing all day on Friday. Tellico Lake this time in Mastercraft Country and Malibu too. I am going to load all stock ballast including bow, PNP 550', and fill the fly high sac 1000lbs, and wedge 38% at 11.2mph...it's going to be awesome.

Only two people total in the boat this time. I filled up that Fly High sac only once. Got it two weeks ago. This Malibu loves the weight in front. It really makes the wave better.

I am really liking my 550 PNP sacs again. I really think they are doing the job. Bow rise is only an issue with about three people in the back of the boat. I think I am hitting the sweet spot. This is part of the excitement. Lets see what happens.

I have the same boat as you and thats what I noticed as well, for a decent wave anyways, this boat loves bow weight. Needs bow weight, and not JUST when maxed out with MLS full and pnp sacs. Without bow weight, more than the MLS, the wave is tall yeah, but IMHO not that long and definately not much push I suppose. But I suck so dont listen to me

Edited by JoshinYall
  • Like 2

I have the same boat as you and thats what I noticed as well, for a decent wave anyways, this boat loves bow weight. Needs bow weight, and not JUST when maxed out with MLS full and pnp sacs. Without bow weight, more than the MLS, the wave is tall yeah, but IMHO not that long and definately not much push I suppose. But I suck so dont listen to me

Dropping back on the SG wave is crucial. It's such a tall wave that when generate speed and ride the face of wave all the way up carve or catch air, and on the way down you will generate more speed then do a bottom carve.

Edited by Afun

I keep giving the SG Wave more Wedge and it likes it. 1 more click from usual. Dropping back and riding the wave all the way up! Soon I could have some video!

Edited by Afun