Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Question about Manual Wedge

jshaff

I have a manual wedge on a 2006 I ride. If I do not lock the wedge in the down position, will it act similar to a floating wedge or become completely useless? Also is there any risk of damage by not locking it in the down position?

it will fluctuate and lock itself into whatever position it gets pushed to next. it doesn't have the capabilities (or shape) to be a floating wedge. the foil on the floater is a different shape that makes it efficient in the positions the boat pulls it to, the manual can only be utilized with it's shape in the premade settings. if you don't put it in and let it "float" it will most likely go straight down and lock in anyway.

Mine did not lock one day when I thought it did, Kind of just bounced up and became useless. It will not function as a floter. As mentioned above it is a different shape. Lock it in place, not fun seeing it bounce around under there.

Someone with a file could increase the angle but I would not add more than a couple of degrees :whistle:

Yeah, I have to push the pins in to get it to lock in the down position, so I wouldn't think it would lock at all. I would however be leary of letting it flop around back there. It may not do anything, then again it may do damage. Wouldn't be worth the risk to me.

I forgot to lock mine in once. It was difficult to get the boat on plane even without ballast and the wake was all mush. Nothing desireable from my experience. Mine did not lock in either position. It just acts like a huge anchor with lots of drag