Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sourcing Service materials

Levi900RR

Where are you all getting oil / filter. V drive oil, RV antifreeze etc?

Anyone have the wix(or other good aftermarket) oil / fuel filter numbers I'll need? Thinking its not worth it to chuck the extra cash to get the stuff from my local dealer, or should I?

I got all my stuff from the local auto parts store for my Skier, just wondering if that's still a good plan for the LSV.

Always keep an eye out at Advanced Auto, or other chain stores. They have "oil change specials" quite often and you can get a good oil and filter for like $25-30. They also stock just about everything you could need to keep the boat running right, sans impeller and marine cap and rotor, or any other Marine specific part.

Mine is an '01 Monsoon...I believe yours is the same.

Fuel filters - Napa 3033 or Wix 33033 inline; and/or Napa 3481 or Wix 33481 spin-on
Oil filter - Penzoil PZ-3 or AC-PF25, Wix 51060; K&N HP 2002
Oil - Penzoil Marine 15W-40; Delco 400 15W-40 CG-4 rating
Spark plug - AC Delco MR43LTS
Tran fluid - Penzoil Type A Dexron II, III or Dexron/Mercon
Impeller - D.I.M. part # 714, Overton's # 29530

Fuel filters - Napa 3033 or Wix 33033 inline; and/or Napa 3481 or Wix 33481 spin-on

THANK YOU!!!

Stupid question. Trans fluid and V drive are two different beasts correct?

THANK YOU!!!

Stupid question. Trans fluid and V drive are two different beasts correct?

Yes on yours you have both. The unit with the red dipstick is your tranny. Vdrive is right in front of that

Has anyone tried synthetic in the v drive and or transmission?

I have used synthetics in differentials and trans on SUV and trucks, and they will run mucho cooler and quieter....just never have gotten around to trying it the boat! Any Amsoil folks here??

I use the Napa 3299 inline fuel filter for my '03 Monsoon.

For the Napa equivalent oil filter, you can use 1069 or the 7099 (which I believe is the updated version).

I get a good deal at my local auto parts chain cause I used to work for them. I'll just keep using them for everything I can.

Levi: not trying to be snippy, but if you can get a good deal at your local auto parts chain, why are you asking the question?? Seems as if you not only have a great connection, but get a great price taboot.

Being a farmer in a previous career, I use NAPA a lot. Our local NAPA, and they are independently owned, so some are good and some are not, has been great in trying to decifer some of the attempts, like with Mercruiser to name maybe the worst, to cross reference and find the same part that is much cheaper.

My local NAPA has been able to every part, for old and new Malibus, at worst case overnight...most time it is either in stock or will be delivered that same day.

Levi: not trying to be snippy, but if you can get a good deal at your local auto parts chain, why are you asking the question??

My questions was am I already getting automotive stuff, or do I need to get marine specific maintenance supplies. Sounds like I'm alright sticking with my routine.

My questions was am I already getting automotive stuff, or do I need to get marine specific maintenance supplies. Sounds like I'm alright sticking with my routine.

Sounds like most of what you are looking for is not marine specific.. ie any oil filter will work, and you don't need one just for marine use?? am I pretty close?

If that is the case oils, filters, etc. can be obtained at any local part place you frequent. IF you get a better discount, or great service, then that is the place you should be buying from.

I am happy with my local NAPA, as they have the books to cross reference those pesky marine parts numbers, will take the time to cross reference, are right most of the time, no questions about returning if wrong ie no restocking fee, have the part or will have the next day.

• 1 month later...

OK, I feel like there is 100 threads on this but I want to just confirm...

My transition takes ATF ( Pennzoil Dexron II, III or MERCON)

And my walters V drive unit (the 03 manual says the walters was the only one used in 03 unless you had the 8.1L) takes straight SAE30 weight motor oil. (This is whats listed in the 03 Malibu manual)

I had my last outing this past weekend and plan to service / winterize this weekend. I want to have all materials ready this week.

Running to the parts store today a lunch...

:bump: on the trans vs. V drive fluid???

Yes Dex III( I actually used the Dex 6 witch is GM's replacemnt for the Dex III stuff) for the trans (2 quarts) and Straight 30w (1 quart) for the Walters V-drive. That is what I used in my Uncles 2003 lsv when i serviced it last fall...

Edited by built2rev

Great!!! Thanks man!

Here's my list.

6 qt's 15w40 Engine oil

51060 Wix oil filter

33481 Wix fuel filter

33033 Wix fuel filter

8 AC Delco MR43LTS spark plugs

I'm going to examine the wires and cap and rotor and replace if necessary.

5 Gal RV antifreeze

2 qts Dextron 3 trans fluid

1 qt SAE 30 engine oil (V drive)

I'm going to do the impeller in the spring. Thinking about a globe.

Edited by Levi900RR