Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2007 wakesetter transmission problems

Newb on site...

On the lake today pulling kids in a tube. I stop to let them swim a few minutes and they hop back in the tube. Start pulling them again and going probably 10mph as I give more throttle all the sudden boat stops pulling. Boat revs up but will not go on gear forward or reverse. Unhooked the cable and manually put it in gear but nothing. Any help and information would be greatly appreciated.

Also cost would help.

Only had this boat 2 months

Look under your transmission and see if your prop shaft is still connected. I had this exact thing happen to me on the 4th of july. I was pulling a buddy and his daughter on the tube and all of a sudden engine revs but goes nowhere. I looked under the tranny and saw that the prop shaft had broken.

I'd probably rule out damper plate they usually make some noise if not distribute chunks of your bellhousing everywhere.

For it to just up and stop with no warning, I'd think fluid level is not the cause, but you never know and it is an easy fix.

Prop shaft, very possible.

Propeller, unless it fell off, it usually gives you some motion if it spins on the shaft.

What about the V-drive?

Can you open the hatch and put it in gear and see what is spinning? Just becareful because if it is the damper, it may decide to spew on you, don't stick you head down in there.

Checked the fluids and they are all good. Can't see where the prop shaft is broken. Only place it could be is in the drippless system boot.

Other than that. It's gotta be the tranny..

Never heard any noise just up and stopped pulling. Back to the shop with it.

Thanks everyone for all the help in helping me know where to look and all the things I look for.

Edited by Clatter1

Any news on this? I just had a similar issue with my 05 VLX, Monsoon, ZF 45C, Walters. Strangely enough I was also embarassing my boat by pulling the kids on the tube. Maybe 15mph, all of a sudden boat seemed to hit neutral or jump out of gear. Thought it cavitated...

Now - seems stuck in neutral. Engine runs fine, no noise. Fluids in tranny & v-drive are correct. Coupler and driveshaft do not spin. Boat won't go in fwd or reverse gears, no detectable clunk or engagement. Linkage moves freely, tranny lever moves, tranny lever shaft spins. Coupler, shaft and prop are all connected and fine -- nothing is spinning.

Dealer scoped tranny and detects no movement or fluid dynamics...it appears that there is no rotation coming from the engine to the tranny. Yet no noise or grenading of the damper plate. No holes in the housing. Only 200 hrs on her.

However--- I suspect it related, I did hit a rock about a year ago (20 hours ago) and had driveshaft, prop & strut replaced. I have been happy with repair - not a trace of vibration since - it had been mint to this point.

I'm about to spend a lot to remove engine/tranny just to have a look. Anyone have any ideas here? Any suspect mechanics between engine and tranny here? Is there a keyway on tranny input shaft?

Help!

Engine pulled.....and it's the damper plate.

Springs gone, pieces missing.... Thankfully no ring gear or starter damage I'm concerned about. Tranny appears ok at least with the engagement, and no load on the bench test.

I don't think worth taking apart, unless anyone has a recommendatipon here.

Luckily it let go at slow speed I guess.

Is it better to go with the Indmar updated plate, or the SKIDIM plate?

First attempt at uploading pics....guess I'll see if this link works...

Damperplate_zps697c468c.jpg

or this...

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p797/baseraba/Damperplate_zps697c468c.jpg

Engine pulled.....and it's the damper plate.

Springs gone, pieces missing.... Thankfully no ring gear or starter damage I'm concerned about. Tranny appears ok at least with the engagement, and no load on the bench test.

I don't think worth taking apart, unless anyone has a recommendatipon here.

Luckily it let go at slow speed I guess.

Is it better to go with the Indmar updated plate, or the SKIDIM plate?

First attempt at uploading pics....guess I'll see if this link works...

Damperplate_zps697c468c.jpg

or this...

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p797/baseraba/Damperplate_zps697c468c.jpg

I suspect that the OP will find the same thing (if his issue isn't the coupling bolts). The Indmar plate is working well for me so far. One recommendation that I have is to pull the starter. I didn't after my plate let go last year, and had to replace my starter this past June because there were small pieces of damper plate hiding behind the pinion gear that eventually jammed it and destroyed the starter.In other words, if I had taken 15 minutes to pull the starter and make sure that all of the small pieces were cleaned up, I would have saved $120 . Another thing that you might consider is, if you need to replace your shaft packing, it may be easier to do with the engine lifted out of the way. Anyhow, good luck and I hope that you're back on the water soon.

• 3 months later...

Sorry for taking so long to reply. Works been crazy and took a little while to get the boat in the shop.

Found out the Friday before Christmas, damper plate came apart. I was lucky I was running at low rpms.

No major damage other than a new damper plate and the dent in my bank account.

Now I have to I stall all the new speakers and amps I previously bought to upgrade the sound system.

I wonder what is causing this. For years I have raced cars with 4-speed. It is standard procedure to align the bell housing with engine with offset dowels. Maybe this isn't a dampener problem, but an alignment issue.

When I purchased the boat it had been sitting for about a year unused. I think in my case that had a lot to do with it.

I had only been running 25% ballast in the rear tanks and 50% in the front.