Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Perhaps the best Surf Gate video I've ever seen...

IXFE

How many times wakesurfing have you been pulled under water, and tossed around for 30-40 seconds, not knowing what way is up? Ocean surfing is a whole different ball game.

Then the debate continues........why is it "acceptable" to ocean surf without a life jacket? Most people said because you are leashed to the board. Should wake surfers have leash as well?

I dont agree with forcing to use any PDF's for anyone, but then again I don't agree on forced seatbelts either, but thats a different discussion.

Why is it acceptable to most to surf without a pfd, even little 6-7 year olds in the ocean by themselves surf without pfd's and most people are okay with it?

Why is it only acceptable to some people to wake surf without a pfd, isn't it much much safer to wake surf behind a boat in calm water than it is in an ocean with swells? With wakesurfing you have atleast one adult in the boat able to jump in to aide in a rescue?

Why is it almost completely unacceptable to wakeboard without a pfd?

I would say that ocean surfing is traditional and as old as ocean watersports gets, and no pfd's have ever been used, so people are accustomed to it and think nothing of it when a little kid does it too. Wakesurfing, on the other hand, is relatively new, even though it is decades old, the majority of people and current boaters have only been introduced to it over the last few years and naturally think "pfd's" when doing anything behind the boat. It is not right to be that inconsistent in your thinking, but it is certainly understandable.

Now wakeboarding.... you are less likely to rapidly sink while wakeboarding than wake surfing, especially in binding set ups like Hyperlites Systems where you will not be double booting. Wakesurfing falls are usually not bad at all unless you hit your head on ur board or swim step, but if you do, you will probably sink and drowned fairly quickly. wakeboarding falls can be really bad, but even if not wearing a pfd, you are attached to your wakeboard that floats fairly well, and most likely will hold you up towards the surface in plenty of time for the boat to come back to you (granted you will be completely upside down with the bottom of your boat up at the surface.... reference chad sharpe's HS BS 5 near drowning wreck a few years back) but you will not sink.

I say no law should require anyone over driving age to wear a pfd for any reason... I wear one when doing everything and require anyone on my boat to wear one while doing watersports as well, not because the law requires it, but because I recognize the value of vests and would like to reduce the risk of injury and death to my friends and family..... but it should not be required.

Edited by JohnnyDefacto