Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Perhaps the best Surf Gate video I've ever seen...

IXFE

Here we go again.............I thought we're done with SG vs No-SG with the other thread?

Kid got skillz and style for sure. I love the bottom turns. Kinda wondering what kind of board he was riding in that clip. Looks fairly long

Oh, you're 'up' to something alright Afun........but I'm not sure you're 'on' to something :lol:

As far as steering affecting the wave...... If you steer towards the rider it steepens the wave. If you steer away from the rider it will flatten the wave out. If I'm falling back in the wave, I don't want anyone changing it. Timing your pumps is crucial when you're at the very back of the wave in the whitewash. A change in the wave will only throw that timing off.

Think about the surfer and the driver working in unison. I am thinking SG and not listed. If you see your surfer taking a looping wide bottom carve couldn't the driver assist by swerving in a little. Com'on, I think I am on to something here, or trying to figure out how to cheat. Edited by Afun

If the driver did that, you'll see it in the wave shape (well unless you have some really crazy camera angle that hides most of the wave). I didnt notice it in that video so the surfer does have skillz.

We surf with a bunch of regulars and we do "help" the surfer from time to time if we noticed the surfer is losing the wave after trying certain things.

As far as steering affecting the wave...... If you steer towards the rider it steepens the wave. If you steer away from the rider it will flatten the wave out. If I'm falling back in the wave, I don't want anyone changing it. Timing your pumps is crucial when you're at the very back of the wave in the whitewash. A change in the wave will only throw that timing off.

^^^^ this effect is VERY hull dependent. My boat (not a 'bu, deep v) will do the exact opposite... turn toward the rider and it flattens, turn away and it steepens.

^^^^ this effect is VERY hull dependent. My boat (not a 'bu, deep v) will do the exact opposite... turn toward the rider and it flattens, turn away and it steepens.

Not just hull effect, but being listed too?

Can we create a poll for the funniest post of the year?

Yeah, I had to chuckle at that one... the idea that Malibu is tripping over themselves to "sign" middle-aged dads with no skillz and no hair from small town Oregon to a sponsorship deal is pure comedy. I'm right up there with Phil Soven, Brian Grubb, and Dallas Friday. Maybe MTV will do a show about me! :lol:

I can't conceptualize how that would work, but ok.

The wave is formed by the surf side wave overpowering the non surf side, whether that be by delaying the convergence of the wakes OR 'digging' the surf side wake out.

In the case of Surfgate, it creates a 'crabbing' effect on the opposite side of the surfer, right? So I'm having trouble understanding why steering into that motion, and lessening the crabbing effect, would cause the wave to stand up more. That makes no sense to me.

On the typical listed boat, I guess I can see how steering away from the rider might delay the convergence of the wakes on some hulls (because you're moving the non surf side of the stern farther back than the surf side)......causing the wave to stand up more right behind the boat.......but I would have to think it causes the wave further back to flatten out?

I agree with you and Shawn on how a wake will be affected on a listed boat. I think I have done 90 degree turns to avoid traffic or get a better line with the surfer on the wave to either direction left or right with a goofy or standard surfer. Done right it has minimal effect on the wave. I will pay closer attention to this.

I can't conceptualize how that would work, but ok.

The wave is formed by the surf side wave overpowering the non surf side, whether that be by delaying the convergence of the wakes OR 'digging' the surf side wake out.

In the case of Surfgate, it creates a 'crabbing' effect on the opposite side of the surfer, right? So I'm having trouble understanding why steering into that motion, and lessening the crabbing effect, would cause the wave to stand up more. That makes no sense to me.

On the typical listed boat, I guess I can see how steering away from the rider might delay the convergence of the wakes on some hulls (because you're moving the non surf side of the stern farther back than the surf side)......causing the wave to stand up more right behind the boat.......but I would have to think it causes the wave further back to flatten out? That's not the case on my boat, but is that what you're seeing Shawn?

Either way.........I don't want the driver doing anything but driving straight when I'm struggling to stay in the wave. No changes please. :biggrin:

Yeah we were really surprised after several seasons of v-riding. When I turn against the wave, it really stands up and you can even get a bit of a "barrel" going on the curl. If I remember next time we are out I'll try to get a little video.

Yeah, I had to chuckle at that one... the idea that Malibu is tripping over themselves to "sign" middle-aged dads with no skillz and no hair from small town Oregon to a sponsorship deal is pure comedy. I'm right up there with Phil Soven, Brian Grubb, and Dallas Friday. Maybe MTV will do a show about me! :lol:

There you go again playing a fool. You want to honestly tell me that you don't think that what you post on here has any impact on the price you pay for that "rented" boat every year? Really?

Don't be a retard. You know you "think" it helps you score that lower price. In fact, I know so.

Of course Malibu doesn't "sponsor" you, but you definitely try to use your online persona to gain favor in your deals.

I hate to bust your balls, but quit actin a fool and I won't have to.

• Like 2

Maybe some kinda reality show??...show folks how ya'll roll in Oregon!!! ha ha

There you go again playing a fool. You want to honestly tell me that you don't think that what you post on here has any impact on the price you pay for that "rented" boat every year? Really?

Don't be a retard. You know you "think" it helps you score that lower price. In fact, I know so.

Of course Malibu doesn't "sponsor" you, but you definitely try to use your online persona to gain favor in your deals.

I hate to bust your balls, but quit actin a fool and I won't have to.

I've got nothing to hide, my friend... although the truth is much less exciting than the drama you've cooked up.

I buy a new boat every year. That is not a secret. I've spoken openly about it, and listing a boat on OIB is hardly a stealth move. What can I say...? I like the smell of new boats, new cars, new trucks, new guns, and new electronics. These are my true vices (well, also Diet Coke w/ lime). Does my online persona help me score a good deal each year? All jokes aside, I can honestly say I don't believe so. While I'd like to believe that a guy who buys every year get's a better deal, I repeatedly hear about pricing on similar boats that are within spitting distance of my price (some higher, some lower). So the truth is, I don't "think" coming to this forum gets me anything, other than a headache from time to time.

Here's how it works for me... I get a number from the GM of my dealer, I agonize over options in order to keep the price down (I pick a few glitzy options, but eschew most of the unseen stuff that drives the price up fast), I arrange insurance and financing, I pick up the boat two months later. I once met the Malibu sales rep at an event years ago (same local events you go to). He was not involved at all when I bought my '12 VLX. When I bought the '13 VLX we had a conversation about Diamond vs. Wake hulls and color selection (I wanted more black above the rub rail w/out making the entire top deck black). The one nice thing I got from the Malibu rep was the willingness to do my upper hull in "progressive" with my lower hull in "classic" so I could get some black up there w/out burning my arms on a black topdeck. But that's about as special as getting a Double Double Animal Style. Any one of you could have that if you asked. And besides I openly revealed it on this forum here.

Trust me, I'm no fool at all. Any perceived discounts are just that... perceived. I got nickle-and-dimed like every body else, even for the dumb stuff like the 2315 prop upgrade. I know what's really going on cuz I actually take the time to compare numbers (I'm in Finance, it's what I do). These guys want to make a guy like me feel special because it keeps me coming into the store to chat, coming to the events, eating the free hot dogs, and most importantly spending my disposable income on boats and gear. I get that, no illusions here.

So what's the BIG secret...? How do I buy a new boat every year...? It's actually quite easy to do when you have 0% sales tax and new boat prices go up every year making resale a little easier to stomach. You just have to decide how much you are willing to lose each year to do this. We are all losing money as boaters, this is the just the flavor of losing money that I have chosen these past three years (some of you choose depreciation which is still a loss). As long as Malibu raises prices every year by 5-10% my "like new" boats will always look cheaper than a new model, which helps keep my losses tolerable. That's really all there is to it. No special deals or corporate discounts. I'm quite certain that the "deal" I get has both AWS and Malibu laughing all the way to the bank. Believe it or not, I am actually having some heartburn over our current VLX. I really love it and my wife and kids want to keep this one. So I may pull it down from OIB. We'll see.

Here's a fun game we can do (offline) to prove my point. I'll bet you lunch I paid more for my boat that you did for yours, and my boat is only 258 inches long with an inferior motor. I'll bet you another lunch I paid more for my smaller Exile stereo too (another company that is no doubt laughing at me).

Sorry. There will be no comparing of prices going on. Especially with you. All that will lead to is hurt feelings by someone wether it be me, you , AWS, or Exile.

You need to stop acting like a little girl and man up. For a guy that has nothing to hide, you sure spend a lot of time trying to protect or explain something that doesn't matter. :dontknow:

You really think I just fabrcated all this stuff? I have a lot of industry friends. More than you even know. I have been in/around this industry long enough to know the guy you "want" to be. There is nothing wrong with that. I know several of "those guys". But understand that with that may come some consequences and its a hard line to tow sometimes.

This is were it becomes hard to have the "online personna". Real life gets in the way sometimes. Exactly why I can't do it. Same guy here or there. I have had the opertunity to be "that guy" with one of the competitors...... Decided against it becuase it's real hard for me to be a pro-ho.

I know you "just wanna get along".........Just be real, and we will be fine. Ohh....and leave my friends out of it also. I am smart enough to figure it out on my own with out their help.

If you want to argue, take it to PM's. If you want to talk about the shredder in post #1 feel free, but if the arguing continues in this thread it will be locked. I and most of the community are beyond sick of it. We as moderators have to read all the content on the board and I can't tell you how sick I am of reading thread after thread of bickering only to read a little bit of on topic content.

• Like 2

Well said M. And to add to that, to the OP: anyone that spends any amount of time here, including you, should know that any topic that you post with "surf gate" anywhere in the title will turn into this. Doesn't matter if it's about surf gate or not, it will devolve into this kind of crap. It's too bad too, that kid can really ride.

• Like 1