Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1993 echelon wont start after sitting for a week

All summer my echelon (carbed 350) wouldn't start after sitting for a week. My solution was to pour some gas down the Carb, and then it would fire up. First minute or so after starting it would run rough, but then it would run perfect the rest of the day.

Any ideas on what would cause this? Carb is a Weber 9773, and I have heard that these carbs are notorious for the fuel evaporating from the bowl. Next season I would rather not deal with this issue. One thought is a tired fuel pump, the other is a clogged fuel pickup in the tank. Any help figuring this out would be appreciated.

there is a leak some where...ie the gas in the hose/line sup[plying gas to the carb leaks back into the gas tank, so it takes a few cranks on the starter to prime the pump and fill the bowels on the carb.

Edited by happypappy

All summer my echelon (carbed 350) wouldn't start after sitting for a week. My solution was to pour some gas down the Carb, and then it would fire up. First minute or so after starting it would run rough, but then it would run perfect the rest of the day.

Any ideas on what would cause this? Carb is a Weber 9773, and I have heard that these carbs are notorious for the fuel evaporating from the bowl. Next season I would rather not deal with this issue. One thought is a tired fuel pump, the other is a clogged fuel pickup in the tank. Any help figuring this out would be appreciated.

Maybe spray starting fluid into carb vs. pouring gas, seems much safer...When I bought my boat from PO that's what he did for same carb. I'm changing it out now to a Holley quadrajet but that's another story.

The spring that holds the choke down on my weber was worn out and I had the same type of issue. Now I just turn the choke by hand the first time I start it and it's good to go the rest of the day.

Agree with make sure the choke is fully engaging.

After that check fuel lines for clogging. Especially from the carb to the pump (driver side front of motor). One of mine was completely stopped up with corn syrup from our wonderful blended gasoline.

Looking at the carb, it seems like the gas inlet is higher than the bowl. I am no pro, but it seems like it would be impossible for fuel to leak back to the tank.

I will check the choke, is there a source for replacement springs? Or a way to convert to a manual choke?

I haven't found a source for the spring/coil thing. It's listed as "no longer available" from mercruiserparts.com. If you find one, let me know, but I've found it pretty easy to just turn it by hand too.

I actually bought an electric choke conversion kit to replace it. But my Carb doesn't have the correct vacuum passage on it. It seems like I could cap off the original vaccum passage and drill out the new passage. But, I haven't gotten that brave yet.