Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer bearings...

Lost the front, driver side bearing on my trailer a couple weeks back. On our way home from Central OR - we were within a mile of home when things deteriorated quickly. Was able to limp home and get the wheel off - how it didn't come off when we were on the highway 5 minutes earlier or come off over Mt.Hood is a miracle. No damage to boat and everyone safe.

What I've learned is that my trailer has what is called a drop axle?? Also learned that the spindle is not a separate part of the axle but rather a permanent fixture and cannot be replaced with replacing the whole axle. Also learned my particular axle is no longer made and requires a custom build? Also learned the nearest place to build was in NoCal....see where this is going? Needless to say, after spending "more than I planned on" I have a new front axle, new bearings and B-buddies all around, brakes, .......

Moving forward - my question is this. I've been pretty good about keep the bearings greased up. Living in Portland, anytime we hit the water outside of the river, it is a 150+ mile trip one way. So a weekend camp trip is 300-500 miles depending on where we go. We've made six of those trips thus far this summer. How often do you guys remove and repack your bearings? Every year? Every other year? How often do you add grease? Also, what speed do most of you tow at and does that play a factor? When on highway I usually limit it to 70-72.

Thanks for the help and input. Don't let this happen to you - not a cheap fix!!

September is here - only a few more solid weeks of hot weather for us in the PNW!!

How often do you guys remove and repack your bearings? Every year? Every other year? I would only re-pack if I had a reason to go into the hubs. It's a good idea to feel the temps. of the hubs every once in a while during a long trip. Compare the temps., they should all be about the same.

How often do you add grease? I would keep that blue indicator ring sitting just outside the stainless outer part of the bearing buddy.

Also, what speed do most of you tow at and does that play a factor? When on highway I usually limit it to 70-72. I wanna be the first guy on the lake and the last guy off so, I drive real fast.

I agree. No need to repack since the bearing buddies are suppose to do that for you. Just keep them topped up with good quality grease and you should be good to go. I did just repack mine from the inside since I had to to a brake job.

Sorry that happened to you. As Pete mentioned, I always touch the hubs when I walk around when fueling or at a rest stop etc. Most tandems only have brakes on one axle, so they usually are a bit warmer, but if you can't keep you hand on them something is going wrong. I repack mine before long trips, but other wise keep the buddies with enough grease to move the springs out. I also travel with a spare set of bearings, but have never had to use them. I don't know your axle specifically, but I know trailer shops can weld a new spindle on most axles if they get messed up.

Sorry that happened to you. As Pete mentioned, I always touch the hubs when I walk around when fueling or at a rest stop etc. Most tandems only have brakes on one axle, so they usually are a bit warmer, but if you can't keep you hand on them something is going wrong. I repack mine before long trips, but other wise keep the buddies with enough grease to move the springs out. I also travel with a spare set of bearings, but have never had to use them. I don't know your axle specifically, but I know trailer shops can weld a new spindle on most axles if they get messed up.

That's exactly what I do when we stop, and also carry a couple complete sets of bearings, tools, towels, and grease gun on every trip I tow the boat on.

I use to check my bearings every fall and repack them. Every other year I would replace the bearings & races regardless (they never once looked bad).

I probably add grease once after repacking, then am usually fine until the next year. If you over pack you will blow the inner seal...you loose grease, and add water and road elements = not a happy bearing.

On road trips I would always always try to pack light. We have a single axle trailer, I try to keep only boat supplies in the boat. Drinks, coolers, and heavy stuff stayed in the truck. Every stop I check hubs and tires.

Oh and I tow max 65 mph, I've lost my boat on the hwy once (trailer failure), I was very glad I was only doing 55 mph.