Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Oil filter assistance

I'm in the middle of my first oil change on the boat and have a question about the filter. The engine is a 2011 Monsoon with the remote oil filter.

The replacement filter that I purchased is Amsoil AE059, which I understood to be a direct alternative for PZ52. The filter I just pulled off is a Sierra 18-7824 "premium marine oil filter". The Sierra filter appears to be the same diameter as the Amsoil, but it is approximately 1/2 inch taller.

My question is, should I use the shorter Amsoil filter or hit up my dealer for the Sierra tomorrow?

The taller filter just increases the amount of filter media to remove particulate matter in the oil...Never heard of Sierra filter, but probably an on line search to cross reference would be the ticket. Amsoils, although they don't actually make the, are pretty good filters.

if there is room, the longer/taller filter is the better choice. NAPA may be a good option too as they should be able to cross reference the filter for you. To ensure you are putting the correct filter on.

Same here, have the remote filter (PZ 52) replaced with Wix51069, which has the same diameter, just taller.

To answer your question, I would say go for the filter that will provide the best filtering.The difference it hight is a non-issue.

http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=784

Bakes lists the cross referenced filters for the PZ 52 (although I'm sure it doesn't list every one that would fit). I bought both a NAPA 1069 and 7099 and put the 1069 on because it was longer. I'm not sure that really makes a difference.... because I think I read that this particular shorter filter actually filters finer particles. 1069 fits fine on my 2011 Monsoon though.

Edited by blagrata

http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=784

Bakes lists the cross referenced filters for the PZ 52 (although I'm sure it doesn't list every one that would fit). I bought both a NAPA 1069 and 7099 and put the 1069 on because it was longer. I'm not sure that really makes a difference.... because I think I read that this particular shorter filter actually filters finer particles. 1069 fits fine on my 2011 Monsoon though.

Both filters used the identical filter media, the only difference is the size and the surface area of the filter media...the longer filter will have more filter media/greater surface area which creates less back pressure as oil is forced/pumped thru the filter media trapping particulate matter. Either the NAPA Gold or the WIX are a better quality filter when compared to Pennzoil and Fram, which are 2 of the cheapest and worst quality filters sold. aka POS!

I have never figured out why Indmar recommends Pennzoil oil filters....

Edited by happypappy
  • Like 2