Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fin Placement Question

Afun

Thruster Set Up, but with smaller fins on the outside and bigger fin in the middle

Thruster Set Up, but with larger fins on the outside and smaller fin in the middle

What are the characteristics for both these changes?

• 2 weeks later...

I ride multiple fin sets ups like this on my XXX boards. With smaller fins on the outside and a bigger center fin, the board feels loose and easier to spin 360, and less drive off the bottom. With the larger fins riding in the twin positions and a small fin in the center, the board has a lot more drive off the bottom and more speed to pump and try airs and go off the lip. My preferred set up is small fins in the twin positions, and a micro Ronix nub style fin in the center. For teaching my beginners, I use a 7ft ocean board with 3 full thruster fins, which makes it a really stable platform.

Holy cow. That's a stable platform alright! :lol:

Good breakdown on the fin setup!

I started bringing the 7ft board after I got my DBot5 surf rack extensions, which made it easier to carry bigger boards. I enjoy riding it with 1 center fin. It's long and narrow, with a pin tail. A single center fin lets it break loose, and makes it really fun to rip a 7ft board off the lip of a 3ft wave.

With 3fins, the longer board allows most people to be up and riding within a few trys; eliminating most of the learning curve; and lets more people get a turn; and probably saves gas. True beginners, who have never even surfed or skated, can get easily frustrated and give up after only a couple trys. Some adults, and many kids, don't even know whether they are Regular or Goofy footed.

Let's face it, everyone who trys wants to go ropeless immediately. With the 7footer, so far, I have a 100% success rate on teaching people to go wireless.

FYI-- if you ever need to find out if a rider is Regular or Goofy footed, just have them stand somewhere with their feet together and eyes closed. Then get behind them and give them a small push forward on the back, so that they involuntarily have to put one foot out to keep from falling....and voila....you know which foot should go forward on the board. Another way is find out which foot they put forward if they are running and sliding across a slick floor, or at an ice rink.