Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

04 VLX Limp Mode

Hi all. I have a Malibu 04 VLX with the 5.7L engine. Through the years I have had times where the boat goes into limp mode due to the oil sending unit/switch, replaced and the problem was solved. This year at the beginning of the summer the first 3 trips to the lake I the boat went into limp mode only once per trip and I would shut the engine off and I could then ride the rest of the day without issue. After those 3 trips in the start of the summer the problem went away. I chalked it up to bad gas working through the system.

Just last weekend I decided to do some maintenance. I changed: oil, plugs, wires cap, and rotor. While changing the wires I noticed that the coil wire was corroded and had been pitting the post on the ignition coil. I cleaned the post and put di-electric grease on it. I went to the lake last after doing the work and after running the boat for around 20 minutes the boat would go into what I describe as limp mode. Won’t go over 12 miles an hour without huge loss of power and backfiring. Shut the boat down and let it cool and you can then ride for 20 until limp mode returns.

What I have tried so far:

1. Replaced gas filter cleaned little mesh filter inside of fuel pump.

2. Removed engine temp switch and oil switch to rule out limp mode. (Was told by Vince at skidim those were the only sensors that would put the boat in limp mode)

3. Rechecked all the spark plugs to make sure my gap was .045

4. Tested the coil it was reading around 900 between the white to green wire.

5. Replaced my ignition coil thinking it may have been bad. A few on here had the exact same symptoms and that was their fix.

One note. I did use AC DELCO Plug Wires, plugs, Cap and Rotor. This is the first time I have replaced wires so I was wondering about not using Indmar wires.

I am really at a loss here. I am about to just throw all the old corroded plugs wires and cap back in and try it.

To me it just doesn’t seem like it would be that stuff because of how good the boat runs before this happens.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I had a problem once right after buying the boat in 2003 where it wouldn't start. I cleaned contacts in the cannon plug added di-electric grease and spread the plug using a razor blade to get a better connection and it started right up.

I just did that again tonight and I put the old Spark Plug wires back on.

I am going to the lake tomorrow to check it once again.

If it the problems continues I will put the old cap, rotor and plugs back in.

I just am out of ideas and I am trying to avoid taking this to a dealer over 2 hours away.

Just wanted to give a follow up.

I have finally fixed it. It was a bad control module. $40 dollars for the part and hundreds in gas to diagnose ;-)

I am back in business.