Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Had my '13 VLX with SurfGate for 2 weeks,short review

JoshinYall

How do you find that much time on the boat? We do good to get 50 hours a season...

We do 5hrs a day avg x 20 days on the water = 100 hours. I can't justify paying to store it and only use it 50 hours. would do double that if we lived where you guys did!

UPDATE: Took the boat Saturday to Wilson Lake, KS elevation 1500ft. The boat ran waayyyy better than at Ute Lake NM elevation 3800 ft. Still seemed to slightly struggle, but I suppose the moral of the story is that if Im gonna be using the boat in NM im gonna need a different prop I suppose.

Regarding the dealer, Marine World in Wichita, KS: I decided to buy the boat and pick it up extremely short notice. I basically decided on a wednesday and needed to pick it up on a thursday, and they made it happen. Ill remind it was their demo so they had to check everything and clean everything up quick. Also the owner who I dealt with, Nathan, had to be out of town on Thursday, so he was unable to be there when I picked it up, which he apologized for. He had his people set up everything up ahead of time, Renee had the paperwork ready to go (we have 3 little ones, so this was huge), their mechanic walked me through the boat, and we took it home. All this to say I expected some things to not have been addressed or talked about, ie the prop and high elevation. Overall theyve been awesome to deal with. Also get 25% off anything in the store for a year...makes boards quite a bit cheaper. Got my flyboy there. Now Im just making notes of little things that need fixed when I bring it in for winterization. Ive already noticed a few:

Transom walkthrough material is peeling up from the rear

bimini shade zipper is coming apart

mirror rattles like crazy

Commercial sewing cover - stitching coming apart in a few places

things I want to add:

plumbed in fatsacs for rear locker

gps cruise

new prop: 2315 or something

Another thing Im trying to formulate is like 3 simple rules that will keep that boat nice, while at the same time help me to look like not such a boat Nazi:

1. No shoes in boat

2. no slamming doors

3. Help wipe boat down??

I dont know but I dont wanna be that crazy boat owner guy

Who's money did you spend? Yours? THEN BE A NAZI! If you paid for it set the rules. If your guests don't like the rules they can buy their own boat. In my boat if you eat in it you clean it. No dark fruits or juices, ever. No shoes ever. I don't ask for wipe down help because I like to do it myself when I get home but it's up to you.

• Like 1

Wilson is the nicest lake in Kansas! We will be purchasing a boat from Nathan this spring. We were actually going to buy the boat you bought, but had some things come up and decided to wait a year. Not to mention the lakes were at all time lows at the beginning of summer! Where are you from?

Wilson is the nicest lake in Kansas! We will be purchasing a boat from Nathan this spring. We were actually going to buy the boat you bought, but had some things come up and decided to wait a year. Not to mention the lakes were at all time lows at the beginning of summer! Where are you from?

Wow well its a nice boat! Saturday was my first time to Wilson, I was pleasantly surprised, but kinda freaked out at all the 10ft water we found ourselves in. How far back can you go on that lake? Whats also weird is that although there werent that many boats out, I saw like 5 wakesetters.

I like like 15 min outside of Dodge City, where are you at?

I am in Wichita know, but I grew up outside of Russell. I went to FHSU as well. I grew up going to that lake. There are plenty of coves that you can get decent water to board or surf. I haven't been on that lake in a couple of years, but I understand it is still pretty low. You used to be able to go a long way to the west without too much trouble. Its around 100ft deep in parts of the main channel. You don't have too many options out that way do you? Have you been to that new lake out by Jetmore? I haven't heard anything about it since they opened. We normally boat at Cheney, but may start going to El Dorado with the new boat next summer. Will head out to Wilson a few times as well!

I am in Wichita know, but I grew up outside of Russell. I went to FHSU as well. I grew up going to that lake. There are plenty of coves that you can get decent water to board or surf. I haven't been on that lake in a couple of years, but I understand it is still pretty low. You used to be able to go a long way to the west without too much trouble. Its around 100ft deep in parts of the main channel. You don't have too many options out that way do you? Have you been to that new lake out by Jetmore? I haven't heard anything about it since they opened. We normally boat at Cheney, but may start going to El Dorado with the new boat next summer. Will head out to Wilson a few times as well!

Yeah that Jetmore lake is a pond. Our normal deal for a season is to go to Ute Lake (250 miles away) for several different weekends/long weekends where my family has a house and dock. Table Rock lake (450 miles away) for 7 days straight in either June or July or both. Then random days up to Wilson (180 miles) or other lakes we havent tried. Needless to say its important that my trailer works well. I tow my boat some MILES.

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to update the thread to close it out, the prop I finally pulled off today was the ACME 537. Installed the 2315, and will be trying it out this weekend. Also installed the Piggyback ballast kit from wakemakers, have yet to try it out as well, so Im pumped.