Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Had my '13 VLX with SurfGate for 2 weeks,short review

JoshinYall

JoshinYall: Don't stress losing riding time to get your boat/wave/wake dialed in. It'll take a few sessions. After that, you'll be good to go.

For lead weight try LEADWAKE. The bags are great and end up being about $1.20 per pound, shipped. If you can't find contact info by googling, shoot me a PM.

Your rules seem pretty simple. Around here if you have less than 3-5 rules, you're in the minority. Some folks are nutso.

On the prop: Verify what you have AND get another couple outings before you start spending cash. The 1235 works great for some, others need the 2315.

My paddlewheel speed control works fine, but I don't have the same exact boat as you. I'd give that a couple more sessions before an upgrade too..

Congrats on the new boat.......that thing is gorgeous!!!

Looks like you get to stay. You made the 3 rule minimum...haha

Its a pretty sick in the head feeling to be thinking, while everyone else is like "man this is awesome, look at that wave, beautiful boat, etc etc", "needs bow weight, wheres all the power, why wont it go, whys the wave not bigger"

I like the idea of adding bow weight especially, but I didnt want to have any weight showing at all. I have a couple of these bombwake bags that I could stuff in places.

I have the touch screen in the back, thanks so for much for all of these tips guys. (that sounds gross)

So I guess I need to get the 2315 prop? Ill just call it having a spare I guess.

From what Ive read on here maybe mine doesnt have Pnp cause it was built before December? I bought the dealer demo that had 10hrs on it for 30% off MSRP, so I didnt really get to be choosy. Id still like the sacs plumbed in though.

Another thing Im trying to formulate is like 3 simple rules that will keep that boat nice, while at the same time help me to look like not such a boat Nazi:

1. No shoes in boat

2. no slamming doors

3. Help wipe boat down??

I dont know but I dont wanna be that crazy boat owner guy

No shoes is my first rule.( of course then you get the people who's feet are dirtier than their shoes!!) Second is no potato chips or Cheetos !! Especially for crew under 5 years old. I guess I am fussy in general about food. Don't mind when it is just family as they understand Dad wants the boat clean and eat appropriately but some guests don't understand how expensive these boats are. Number three... Please drip off on the swim or tanning platform and put wet lifejackets in rear storage areas. Rule four... if I'm driving someone better damn well be manning the ropes and helping the riders. Hate it when people just sit there and expect me to do everything. Other than that I wipe my own boat down (cause no one can do it as good as me. :lol::surprised: ) With the price of these boats a good set of rules is a must. The only other thing is crew under 14 years old must wear a lifejacket at all times regardless of their swimming ability.

Its kind of hard to see, but I want to say it says Acme 668, could that be right?

No wonder you are having issues getting hole shot and holding speed that's a 12.5 x 15.5. 1235 (14.25 x 14.5) or 2315 (15 x 12) will make a huge difference.

No wonder you are having issues getting hole shot and holding speed that's a 12.5 x 15.5. 1235 (14.25 x 14.5) or 2315 (15 x 12) will make a huge difference.

Why would that boat have a 668? I would complain to the dealer.

The Flyboy should be your personal board. Don't be like me and let everybody use whatever board. I am going to set my preset if I can at 38 percent wedge this weekend. Lets see what happens.

seems like the more boats I own, the less ocd I get. I guess I realize that it won't the boat and it will always wash or vacuum out.

This is so true... I think part of it is that my family "just knows" at this point, so there's no reason to even have formal rules. As for guests... most are respectful so I rarely have to say anything. If I have a bad experience, they just fall off the invite list; that simple.

Why would that boat have a 668? I would complain to the dealer.

Probably because that is the stock prop that Malibu provides. The 1235 is technically an option (and not a free one) they call the "High Altitude Prop" and the 2315 is another upgrade (new this year, and even more expensive than the 1235) and it's called the "Torque Prop."

Good dealers know this and order appropriately. AWS used to order all inventory and custom boats with the 1235, unless asked otherwise. This year you won't find a boat on their lot with anything other than the 2315. When I ordered my boat I was nervous about the 2315. They told me if I didn't like it they'd gladly swap it out for a 1235. Needless to say, I have NOT taken them up on that offer. :yahoo:

The Monsoon 350 with the 2315 is a great combo. And I can still reach 40mph (not that I ever do). On the other end of the spectrum, I have no trouble surfing the boat at 11+mph w/ 750's in the rear and the wedge up a few clicks. I don't need any weight in the bow other than the stock tank. However, I do make my kids sit up there because it makes the wave better.

Edited by IXFE

Probably because that is the stock prop that Malibu provides. The 1235 is technically an option (and not a free one) they call the "High Altitude Prop" and the 2315 is another upgrade (new this year, and even more expensive than the 1235) and it's called the "Torque Prop."

Good dealers know this and order appropriately. AWS used to order all inventory and custom boats with the 1235, unless asked otherwise. This year you won't find a boat on their lot with anything other than the 2315. When I ordered my boat I was nervous about the 2315. They told me if I didn't like it they'd gladly swap it out for a 1235. Needless to say, I have NOT taken them up on that offer. :yahoo:

The Monsoon 350 with the 2315 is a great combo. And I can still reach 40mph (not that I ever do). On the other end of the spectrum, I have no trouble surfing the boat at 11+mph w/ 750's in the rear and the wedge up a few clicks. I don't need any weight in the bow other than the stock tank. However, I do make my kids sit up there because it makes the wave better.

Thank you IXFE for saving me some embarrassment!

I had a 1235 on for about 30 hours before trying the 1273, then 2313 then 2315. Fuel consumption on the 2315 is more than all he others but not significantly. I find hat we average about 5.4 gallons per hour with 2315 and it was right at 5 for the 1235. Did not keep the 1273 or 2313 on long enough to really get a good feel for consumption. I now have about 150 hours on the 2315 and am very happy with it... To the point that I am going to re-cup the 2313 to the 2315. Best prop IMO for the 23 LSV with Monsoon 350. We now have 297 hours on our 2013 that we took delivery on January 31, 2013... It's been a great year and the Bu has really done well! A few minor issues, but nothing that I could not take care of. IMO think that if you are putting 3000 or more total ballast not including people, you need he 2315 with the Monsoon 350. Have fun with the parks thruster!

Edited by BlackBluMalibu

It's a compromise prop. If you push weight and have the 5.7L motor it's a compromise many willingly make (compromising cruising speed and top end for stump pulling holeshot). I still say the 2079 will give you 99% of the holeshot with less of the prop yaw of a 2315 on a smaller boat.

My new boat came with the 537, the ski/barefoot prop. Had no idea. I was disappointed with the power coming out of the hole with weight. Thanks to a crew member, I checked it and found this was the issue. Just installed the 2315. Will be giving it a run next weekend. For now all I can say is it looks huge compared to the 537 (13.5" v. 15"), but really cool! :)

I had a 1235 on for about 30 hours before trying the 1273, then 2313 then 2315. Fuel consumption on the 2315 is more than all he others but not significantly. I find hat we average about 5.4 gallons per hour with 2315 and it was right at 5 for the 1235. Did not keep the 1273 or 2313 on long enough to really get a good feel for consumption. I now have about 150 hours on the 2315 and am very happy with it... To the point that I am going to re-cup the 2313 to the 2315. Best prop IMO for the 23 LSV with Monsoon 350. We now have 297 hours on our 2013 that we took delivery on January 31, 2013... It's been a great year and the Bu has really done well! A few minor issues, but nothing that I could not take care of. IMO think that if you are putting 3000 or more total ballast not including people, you need he 2315 with the Monsoon 350. Have fun with the parks thruster!

How do you find that much time on the boat? We do good to get 50 hours a season...

• Like 2

How do you find that much time on the boat? We do good to get 50 hours a season...

We have gone out almost every weekend since the last week of February... Wetsuits and I installed two 3 outlet heaters... With the bimini out it tends to hold the heat in... Missed only 3 weekends over the whole summer at an average of 20 hours each weekend and we have gone couple weekdays and a 10 day vacation averaging 8 hours a day on the vacation...adds up quickly... So does the fuel! But well worth it to be ale to spend quality fun time with the family!

So the guys who like the 2315, did you have experience with the 1235? Does it make it feel like a new boat? Do you save gas?

Yeah I had 1235 on last boat and for first 70 hours or so on current boat. The 2315 is better if you are going to run 1500+ ballast over stock. The only time I have maxed it is at 5k elevation with 10 people in the boat and nobody wanted to sit in the bow, this with 409 motor and 2k+ ballast over stock.

The boat just seems more relaxed at surf speeds, like its not working as hard. If you run at 30mph+ often then maybe you'd see more gas usage I guess.

IXFE - Is that right about AWS and the 2315? I was singing its praises to them a month or so ago and they still seemed like they were going to stick with the 1235 on boats they order.

I believe what I posted to be true, but perhaps you get a different story depending on who you talk to...?

I worked dirrectly with Matt (GM) last spring when I ordered my boat. You should ask him what a PITA I am during that process as I agonize over every design decision, option, and dollar. We had more than one conversation about props and he was very bullish on the 2315. That's when I remember him making the statement about all the boats being ordered that way going forward. I believe this was after you already had your boat so perhals they changed mid year??

Anyway, I was sceptical because the Malibu literature says with this prop the boat won't go over 35mph and that fuel economy will suffer. In my case I can do 40 on the GPS, but just barely. However, my fuel economy does seem a bit worse than last year when I had the 1235 on my old VLX.

We are on the third page of this thread, and no one has asked why setup and use of the boat wasn't explained to the original poster by the dealer? I'm just assuming it was new since it's a 2013, so I apologize if it was a private sale. Although if so it would have been nice for the original owner to pass along some basic operating instructions.

Peter

We are on the third page of this thread, and no one has asked why setup and use of the boat wasn't explained to the original poster by the dealer? I'm just assuming it was new since it's a 2013, so I apologize if it was a private sale. Although if so it would have been nice for the original owner to pass along some basic operating instructions.

Peter

OP said it was a dealer demo 30% off MSRP so you are right on the money with this one Peter.

So I guess I need to get the 2315 prop? Ill just call it having a spare I guess.

That's right - i held off on a spare until I figured what I wanted, but having a spare is essential if you ask me. Don't forget a spare prop key, nut and clevis pin. I splurged and got the weekend saver kit complete with prop bag. On my last boat I nailed a log and had a spare and 30 min later we were back in business!