Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Had my '13 VLX with SurfGate for 2 weeks,short review

JoshinYall

This is my first "real" boat. Upgraded from an 2002 seadoo x-20, which I actually nearly cried a little when I was getting it cleaned up for tradein :)

Ive had my '13 vlx for only 2 weeks. Bought it in Wichita, KS (Elevation 1300 ft) , have taken it the last 2 weekends to Ute Lake in Logan, NM (Elevation 3800 ft). I had no idea what to expect whatsoever regarding anything, power, ballast, surfgate, wave.. Here's what I experienced:

Stock tanks full, wedge at 100%: boat wouldnt even go 10mph. I was worried, I was like no way, this sucks wtf is wrong with this thing. Yeah surfgate is nifty, but so the boat would even make it to 9mph I needed to let it ride in the direction of the pull (to the right for a regular surfer). Also, it seemed as though the boat definitely needed more bow weight. In fact, when just cruising I liked to fill the front hard tank alone.

Paddle wheel cruise was all over the map...kept getting errors like "High Speed Surf Gate" even with cruise set cause the boat would sometime rev up past 12mph when I would adjust the wedge so we could get some steam.

Stock tanks full, 2 400lb fat sacs (I think) in each locker, with wedge at 25% or 38% depending on the size of the guy surfing: seemed to be the sweet spot. Manually filling the sacs sucks, my boat doesnt have Pnp, but Id still like to get them plumbed in this winter. Again, it really seems as though this boat needs bow weight. Also, it seems that GPS cruise is a must. Another things is I need to figure out how to disable the rear stereo controls, every time someone was near it it seems theyd accidentaly bump it.

The wave was pretty good I guess but we spent so much time figuring out how to dial in a decent setup that it seems we didnt get much time to actually use it.

Im assuming my boat needs to be fitted correctly for high elevation? Kinda sucks cause I will be going to play in both high and low elavation since Im like 3 hrs in any direction from any water worth a damn.

Boat is beautiful, looks like its quality, well made. Sucks the season is nearly over.

Had similar issues at low altitude on my LSV... so you are not alone. Put on a 2315 prop, added bow weight (200-300lbs lead/water), and presto - kick a** and good performance.

On the stereo - that thing is sensitive - Press and hold SEL and DISP together for 3 seconds to lock the RFX-MR5BB. This is the controller on the dash.

Press and hold Mute and Volume Down for 3 seconds to lock RFX-MR7. This is the round controller on the stern of the boat.

Bow Weight....I filled up the entire Fly High Bow Sac 1000lbs plus stock bow tank. I was in heaven with how pushy my wave was. I also had 1 to 2 clicks up from bottom on the wedge. I do not know the percentage. I have PNP 550 sacs. I am looking forward to upgrading those to the 800 ronix bags for next season. I just need to stop buying surfboards first. I will also like the 2315 prop when weighted this heavy. The 1235 has been doing its job.

Why don't you have PNP?

• Like 1

Is your rear controller touch screen like your head unit or actual buttons? My boat originally came with touch screen (like the radio dash), but I requested it be changed out for the one with buttons. Dealer didn't charge me for this (probably because he just made the sale.) I definately prefer this as it's not only people touching it, but water splashing on it will change volume, mode as well. Pretty annoying. It's worth asking so you can still use the device.

If you have buttons and having problems, you may have to do what daylorb reccommended.

Its a pretty sick in the head feeling to be thinking, while everyone else is like "man this is awesome, look at that wave, beautiful boat, etc etc", "needs bow weight, wheres all the power, why wont it go, whys the wave not bigger"

I like the idea of adding bow weight especially, but I didnt want to have any weight showing at all. I have a couple of these bombwake bags that I could stuff in places.

I have the touch screen in the back, thanks so for much for all of these tips guys. (that sounds gross)

So I guess I need to get the 2315 prop? Ill just call it having a spare I guess.

From what Ive read on here maybe mine doesnt have Pnp cause it was built before December? I bought the dealer demo that had 10hrs on it for 30% off MSRP, so I didnt really get to be choosy. Id still like the sacs plumbed in though.

Another thing Im trying to formulate is like 3 simple rules that will keep that boat nice, while at the same time help me to look like not such a boat Nazi:

1. No shoes in boat

2. no slamming doors

3. Help wipe boat down??

I dont know but I dont wanna be that crazy boat owner guy

• Like 2

Well, what prop is on there now??? If it was a dealer demo, did they put some prop on there for higher speed skiing or something??? Check what prop you have now to start with, and work from there.

Is Auto wedge enabled???

Yeah, if you're adding more than the stock tanks to the rear for weight, you're going to need some bow weight. Most boats are like this....

Well, what prop is on there now??? If it was a dealer demo, did they put some prop on there for higher speed skiing or something??? Check what prop you have now to start with, and work from there.

Is Auto wedge enabled???

Yeah, if you're adding more than the stock tanks to the rear for weight, you're going to need some bow weight. Most boats are like this....

Good question, Ill check this afternoon. Yes autowedge is enabled, and yeah youre right, but I thought even with just stock tanks and some passengers it could still use more bow weight

I'm surprised no one has piped up yet with this: PICS?

Another thing Im trying to formulate is like 3 simple rules that will keep that boat nice, while at the same time help me to look like not such a boat Nazi:

1. No shoes in boat

2. no slamming doors

3. Help wipe boat down??

I dont know but I dont wanna be that crazy boat owner guy

Our three rules:

1. No shoes in the boat.
  2. No Cheesies (or any other consumable that can stain).
  3. Help wipe down the boat at the end.

Our three rules:

1. No shoes in the boat.

my rules:

no shoes

no stepping on upholstery at any time.

Keep your fingers / toes that have polish off my upholstery ( stuff melts and leaves little spots)

no food. period

no sugary drinks (don't want ants)

yep. I'm the boat nazi in girl form.

Our three rules:

1. No shoes in the boat.

Suprised as well! Ive got a few lousy pics on my phone, that I COULD post, theyd probably be pretty funny since I wasnt trying to take a good pic of the boat

Found one! Forgot that my wife and I both upload our pics to the same dropbox, so this is one she took. As an aside, I would be fine losing the WAKESETTER graphic and just keeping the WS.

0ZFJ6hw.jpg

I see a Flyboy....is it fast! I just bought a 2012 ronix parks carbon thruster and a Phase 5 Colt...

Regarding the exposed sacs...no one really sits in the bow when were surfing, so no biggie.

Plus, chics dig exposed sacs....(disclaimer...just being funny)

It is fast, I think, and fun. Im no expert by any means but I like it. As mentioned previously, Ill like it a lot more when I can get the boat dialed in Im sure. Whats the best way to get the tape off of the bottom of the board? they taped the paperwork and fins to it in the boat shop, and theres part that didnt come off. And how do I make a wakeboard stay in the rack when a surfboard is in there with it?

I forgot that its fast enough that when I let my bro-in-law ride it, bad idea, he ran up on the back of the boat so fast that the tip wedged between the grab well and the swim deck, and then all he could think to do was jump off. Board stayed put the whole time I was picking him up. Dont let beginners ride expensive boards lesson learned

Edited by JoshinYall

seems like the more boats I own, the less ocd I get. I guess I realize that it won't the boat and it will always wash or vacuum out.

The only rules we have now are:

1. no cans (all drinks must have screw on tops)

2. no shoes

3. Everyone helps clean up or wipe down the boat

4. my wife controls the radio - no exceptions.....ever.....

• Like 2

:lol: Whoa. You would, most certainly, have a heart attack if you saw what goes down on my boat on a daily basis :lol:

First off, the boat sits in the water, so anything under the waterline is covered in algae. Then inside? Oh, just a mix of people drinking beer & soda.......walking all over the seats...........eating chips, crackers & sandwiches........a 2 year old spilling s*** everywhere...... an occasional water gun fight...... maybe a 'who can catch grapes/m&m's in their mouth' contest.

I won't even talk about when we're loaded up for camping on the islands..... Your head might just explode :lol:

No shoes is strictly enforced tho. Basically it's the only rule I have. Well, that and be helpful at the end of the day when it's time to pack up.

That's nuts. I thought I was pretty relaxed. My rules are No Shoes, No Horesplay in the bow (now that I know how annoying it would be to replace the windshield...), and Nothing that will stain.

pkh where do you get your lead weight, and do you have pics of where you installed them at?

LeadWake - [email protected]

I don't have pics of where they are installed, but if you pull up your front seats and remove the panel you should be able to find some space, if you pull up the hard tank you can fit even more under there.