Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Heater

My heater is only blowing cold air...had the same issue at the end of the year.

Any ideas?

The boat and heater were winterized and de-winterize by the dealer and they stated that they checked for blockages, etc.

Is it possible that with the ice just out on Friday that the water going through the engine does not get warm enough? (Water is in the 30s)

Could the low-RPM y-pipe be causing this?

Thanks

Dave

Did the engine get up to 160*?

Can you locate the two hoses that go to the heater core and feel if one of them is much warmer than the other? If there both cold, there's no hot water getting to the core.

Or possibly the core itself is bad. Check for leakage, if it's leaking then that's a tell-tale sign.

EDIT: One other thing, if your engine isn't coming up to temperature like it should, a bad thermostat could cause it as well. It doesn't need to be stuck completely wide-open for that to happen either.

Dave, I can't believe you got her in the water already. Good for ya! See ya on Long Lake or XMas soon.

SWEET AVATAR ROFL.gif

Was out both Sat and Sun...but with NO HEAT Cry.gif

Dang, you are hard core. Rockon.gif I'm not getting my butt in the water until its at least near upper 40s to low 50s. However I may put the boat in to dial in the ballast for the surfing wake. Surfing.gif

Update:

Temp right around 160.

However, if you feel the exhaust, the observer side exhaust is HOT and the driver side exhaust is COLD.

Thinking the heater pulls from the drivers side of the block.

Any ideas of why the driver side is cold?

Dave

Edited by RoverOn

What do you mean by 'feeling the exhaust'? Are you talking about the manifold riser, the big 4" outlet hoses, or the ~1" hoses that feed the exhaust manifold?

Where is the hot water pickup for your heater? It should be on top of your intake manifold, right next to you T-Stat housing, and opposite your water temperature sensor. Assuming that is the case, it's hard to image half the block being cold and the other half being 160 - it just doesn't work that way.

Something to think about: If your heater is connected someplace else (like maybe the side of the engine water pump?), then that might explain why you aren't getting any hot water to your heater. In fact, I might suspect this - on an install without the Low RPM 'Y', the two connections are (1) on top of the manifold (hot supply) and (2) the side of the main water pump (cold return). The Low RPM Y pipe is supposed to replace the connection at the side of the water pump. Maybe yours replaced the one to the manifold instead? If someone isn't thinking about it, it would be easy to miss, even by someone winterizing your boat. Heck, a lot of heaters have a connection to the main water pump.

Maybe someone made a mistake when installing your heater?

I recently replaced my core. It was just worn out and small leaks. as Sunrise said Have dealer ck original hook up or was there heat at some time?

I just got my RLXI out for the first time this past weekend. I noticed that when I am just idling around, the air out of the blower is cold, but the second I give it a bit more gas it warms up. It never gets Hot though. Don't know if it matters or not but I have the hammerhead 383. Does this sound normal or is this indicative of a problem? The engine temp appears to be correct (~160). Also the seat warmer does not appear to be warming up the seat. Any ideas on this one?

Actaully never mind on the heater questions. There is a very good thread on this already. But I would be interested in hearing what could make the seat heater not work.

Thanks.

Edited by thealy
What do you mean by 'feeling the exhaust'? Are you talking about the manifold riser, the big 4" outlet hoses, or the ~1" hoses that feed the exhaust manifold?

Where is the hot water pickup for your heater? It should be on top of your intake manifold, right next to you T-Stat housing, and opposite your water temperature sensor. Assuming that is the case, it's hard to image half the block being cold and the other half being 160 - it just doesn't work that way.

Something to think about: If your heater is connected someplace else (like maybe the side of the engine water pump?), then that might explain why you aren't getting any hot water to your heater. In fact, I might suspect this - on an install without the Low RPM 'Y', the two connections are (1) on top of the manifold (hot supply) and (2) the side of the main water pump (cold return). The Low RPM Y pipe is supposed to replace the connection at the side of the water pump. Maybe yours replaced the one to the manifold instead? If someone isn't thinking about it, it would be easy to miss, even by someone winterizing your boat. Heck, a lot of heaters have a connection to the main water pump.

Maybe someone made a mistake when installing your heater?

I am talking about the manifold riser...one is hot the other is ice cold.

Will check on the hose connections....

That seems really wierd, though I can't say I recall ever checking that on my boat with the engine running. I have done it after a day on the water and cleaning things up - but that is after a hot soak, without lake water there to cool it off.

Even so, I wouldn't expect that to affect the temp of the water feeding your heater, unless that hot water supply is hooked up to the wrong location... I'll be very interested to see what you find.

That seems really wierd, though I can't say I recall ever checking that on my boat with the engine running. I have done it after a day on the water and cleaning things up - but that is after a hot soak, without lake water there to cool it off.

Even so, I wouldn't expect that to affect the temp of the water feeding your heater, unless that hot water supply is hooked up to the wrong location... I'll be very interested to see what you find.

Sunrise...Just got a call from the dealer and they have the same opinion that the temp diff is normal and that it should have no effect on the heater.

So I will maybe take some pics tonight and figure out if the y-pipe and evereything else is hooked up correctly.

Dave

Edited by RoverOn

I think your heater knows that it can't compete with you when it comes to blowing hot air so it just isn't even trying. ROFL.gifROFL.gif

:lol: I slay me. :lol:

;) Sorry, couldn't help myself. :)

I think your heater knows that it can't compete with you when it comes to blowing hot air so it just isn't even trying. ROFL.gifROFL.gif

:lol: I slay me. :lol:

;) Sorry, couldn't help myself. :)

Nice...and to think I thought we've been getting along Cry.gif

Edited by RoverOn
Nice...and to think I thought we've been getting along Cry.gif
Awww, don't be like that. Love.gif

:lol: You can't toss a softball and expect me not to hit it. Biggrin.gif