Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

The New 247

Festivus

I brought home the 247 today. Didn't get to cruise around much on the water, the test lake isn't very big, but... I am very happy with it. It had 0.6hrs @ delivery, and I think I have it up to 1.2 now. The second heater install went really nice. I went with the two outlet heater, one in the rear, one in the port side, as you can see in one of the pictures below. I figured that, plus the 3 outlet factory heater should keep the crew warm. So I guess I am officially one of the "BU Crew" now. The dealer was nice enough to let me test two other acme props, so I get to play with three total and see which one I like the best. I'll post results in a few weeks when I get around to testing them. Next stop is the canvas shop for a custom snap on cover. That'll take the better part of a week, then to the stereo guys. I think I am going with the Addictions. There just doesn't seem to be enough toom up there for the Tyrants, plus the mounts won't be ready till who knows when. I also still need a good board rack and a sky ski rack. I'm sure there are plenty of posts out there on them, but a few suggestions wouldn't hurt. I'm sort of a computer moron, can anyone tell me how to post pics?

uhm,,,,,......yes. They will follow the paint line, so semi-camoflauged. The bow cover snaps will be under the grab rail, so not very noticeable. We just tow so much, it really isn't an option, but a need...

I brought home the 247 today. Didn't get to cruise around much on the water, the test lake isn't very big, but... I am very happy with it. It had 0.6hrs @ delivery, and I think I have it up to 1.2 now. The second heater install went really nice. I went with the two outlet heater, one in the rear, one in the port side, as you can see in one of the pictures below. I figured that, plus the 3 outlet factory heater should keep the crew warm. So I guess I am officially one of the "BU Crew" now. The dealer was nice enough to let me test two other acme props, so I get to play with three total and see which one I like the best. I'll post results in a few weeks when I get around to testing them. Next stop is the canvas shop for a custom snap on cover. That'll take the better part of a week, then to the stereo guys. I think I am going with the Addictions. There just doesn't seem to be enough toom up there for the Tyrants, plus the mounts won't be ready till who knows when. I also still need a good board rack and a sky ski rack. I'm sure there are plenty of posts out there on them, but a few suggestions wouldn't hurt. I'm sort of a computer moron, can anyone tell me how to post pics?

Only CrewSupporters or Crewchiefs call upload images to the crew. If you upload them to a free site you can link them here.

uhm,,,,,......yes. They will follow the paint line, so semi-camoflauged. The bow cover snaps will be under the grab rail, so not very noticeable. We just tow so much, it really isn't an option, but a need...

If you can post pictures on this site or on one of the free picture hosting sites so we can see the snap-on cover it would be great.

I only time I let my friends put snaps in their boat are the ones that have their boat moored in a wet slip.

To bad someone hasn't come out with a cover system that slides underneath a custom rubrail. Maybe simular to how a soft-top goes on the windshield of a Jeep? Maybe someone on the site has some innovative ideas.

If you can post pictures on this site or on one of the free picture hosting sites so we can see the snap-on cover it would be great.

I only time I let my friends put snaps in their boat are the ones that have their boat moored in a wet slip.

To bad someone hasn't come out with a cover system that slides underneath a custom rubrail. Maybe simular to how a soft-top goes on the windshield of a Jeep? Maybe someone on the site has some innovative ideas.

Isn't the Rankin cover very similar to what you are talking about? Seems like this covers as much if not more than a snap on cover.

Isn't the Rankin cover very similar to what you are talking about? Seems like this covers as much if not more than a snap on cover.

The Rankin cover with the long skirts still needs to be tied down or snapped. This company VACUHOLD looks pretty good but still needs to be tied down in areas. If your boat is moored the only way to hold the cover on is with snaps or run the straps all the way under the boat. I've done that before and its not fun.

If the rubrail was slotted all the way around then a hard edged cover could lock into the slot. My old jeep had that type of system on the windshield. It was good for way over 100mph.

The Rankin cover with the long skirts still needs to be tied down or snapped. This company VACUHOLD looks pretty good but still needs to be tied down in areas. If your boat is moored the only way to hold the cover on is with snaps or run the straps all the way under the boat. I've done that before and its not fun.

If the rubrail was slotted all the way around then a hard edged cover could lock into the slot. My old jeep had that type of system on the windshield. It was good for way over 100mph.

Can you elaborate on that? Every Rankin that I've ever seen has been snapless & without ties to the trailer.

I used to debate about a snap on or tie down cover, and have never had a snap on on my previous 3 boats. I always thought the snaps would be in the way, snag stuff, look terrible, etc. I have been on many nice boats with snap ons where I didn't even recognize the snaps. So I'm doing it. It'll make towing so much less stressful and I can keep the bow cover on while it is cold here. Also keeps water out. Not that I am a bad ship captain, but if any of you have ever been caught in a windstorm, it is nice to cover the bow

I'd hate to be in a Jeep going way over 100mph. Surprised.gifShocking.gif

I used to debate about a snap on or tie down cover, and have never had a snap on on my previous 3 boats. I always thought the snaps would be in the way, snag stuff, look terrible, etc. I have been on many nice boats with snap ons where I didn't even recognize the snaps. So I'm doing it. It'll make towing so much less stressful and I can keep the bow cover on while it is cold here. Also keeps water out. Not that I am a bad ship captain, but if any of you have ever been caught in a windstorm, it is nice to cover the bow

I've got the snap cover - dont like it. I do like it on the bow for early morning runs, but the plexiglass in the walkway will accomplish the same thing. the snaps are a pain and dont look as good.

sgtsandbagger, In the thread linked below, they talk about how the rankin cover hooks to the rubrail, and that is what is responsible for keeping the cover tight. Not straps under the boat.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....=4432&hl=Rankin

sgtsandbagger, In the thread linked below, they talk about how the rankin cover hooks to the rubrail, and that is what is responsible for keeping the cover tight. Not straps under the boat.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....=4432&hl=Rankin

I've seen those on a couple of boats but don't have any personal experience with them. Do they stay on pretty good for trailering?

Nice boat J. I was at Tommy's looking at VLX's an hour before your delivery Saturday. That is one gorgeous boat. That's the 1st 247 I've seen up close and it's freakin HUGE. I think the water level at Chatfield comes up at least 6" when you drop that beast in!! Very nice color scheme. Hope you get pics uploaded soon so you can share it. Yahoo.gif

John

I am too stupid to understand why you can't simply upload pictures here, but here is the link to the thread on wakeworld where I can upload.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/message...html?1144606424

John- thanks for the kind words, we usually do go to Chatfield, but never on a weekend, unless it is a Friday morning and we are off by 9-10am. There's some crazy boaters around here. At least the early morning fishermen just flip the bird and yell, but they aren't really dangerous sitting there with a fishing pole and an early morning beer.

Also I'd like to plug Tommy's. They have been very accomodating through this hole process. They are even letting me test 3 different props to get the one that I like the best on that barge. I received a thank-you box with a Malibu jacket, Tommy's hat, and some stickers, a blanket, etc. today in the mail. Nice touch. The boat is at Paul's Custom Canvas, apparently being desecrated right now with a custom cover. Sorry about those snaps, guys.... So check out the pics.

I also put a picture in that thread of the second heater install that we were discussing on this site. It turned out awesome, so I now have 3 pull-out heater vents spaced around the boat.

Festivus - great looking boat! Just massive Notworthy.gif

This is the first time I've seen/noticed the cup holders on the floor. Is that a stock item or something you added after delivery? I would live to have a couple of those around the cabin.

I am too stupid to understand why you can't simply upload pictures here...

Festivus,

Its not you. Becuase pictures take considerable bandwidth and bandwidth costs money, we restrict posting images hosted on our servers to members who help contribute to the community's upkeep . You can read more about supporting the malibu crew here.

At the same time, feel free to upload your pictures elsewhere on the net like Wakeworld, WSR, Photobucket, yahoo, flickr, etc, and link to them using the image button. This allows you to share photos that other sites host (and therefore uses their bandwidth).

By the way, that is a gorgeous boat!!

Thanks and we are really glad to have you here!

JZ

those cup holders on the floor came from the factory. I think they will come in handy. The carpet saver insert has a cut-out for them, so I think it is std.

those cup holders on the floor came from the factory. I think they will come in handy. The carpet saver insert has a cut-out for them, so I think it is std.

Thanks, I'll put them on my list.

Wow, nice boat. My wife was impressed with the number of cup holders in the beast when we saw it at the boat show. She likes cup holders.

Festivus, off topic question: In the comparison picture you posted over on WW, I noticed what I assume is your house. What type of stone is that on the front of the house? We are in the process of building and need to choose what stone to use and I like how the stone on your house looks.

I'd copy off a picture of mine, if you like it, and tell them you want to match it. Most of the cultured stone places around here have a similar product to eachother, but the all use their own names, so even if I found the name, it may not be helpful. We chose it the same way you are...that is, we saw it, liked it, photographed it, and had our builder get it. I can take a picture of it w/o the boat in the way if you'd like.