Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

RUDDER ZERKS

Just in from working on the boat for the spring service. In all the thousands of posts I have read about servicing our bu's. I never heard about a Zerk fitting being on the rudder.

I was wiping down the under side of the motor and bottom of the boat after changing the filter and had seen the fitting Shocking.gif

Just thought I would point it out to every one. Even if you have your boat serviced at a shop, check and see that they greased them. Even leave some way of knowing that they had done the work.

sorry for the size.

Edited by D-GOOSE

Just be careful with the grease, any of you zealots...you can add too much into the contained area, and actually increase the pressure on the shaft to the point that it makes the steering quite stiff.

...just a word of caution.

Peter

Peter, what's the remedy if someone's steering did stiffen up a bit? Whistling.gif

EDIT: Zealot? I resemble that remark!

Edited by VinRLX

Peter, what's the remedy if someone's steering did stiffen up a bit? Whistling.gif

EDIT: Zealot? I resemble that remark!

Take the zerk fitting out and work the rudder back and forth until the excess grease comes out. Put the zerk back in and you should be good to go.

sounds like I have been out of the loop on this one.

Peter, what's the remedy if someone's steering did stiffen up a bit?

You could also put a pin in the zerk to depress the check ball and then have some one work the steering.

Please, put the pics right side up. Now my neck hurts.

Nope my Zerks are like UDDERS ROFL.gif

I shoot grease in boat fittings once with the wheel at full lock in one direction and once with the wheel full lock the other direction. I also smear some on the exposed steering shaft.