Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2007 Rumors

Fly

Although I'm always in favor of someone buying a Nautique, I have to ask, what's wrong with the RLXi? Doesn't that qualify as a family ski boat? I love my Nautique and have no intentions of parting from it--but my experience is that that RLXi has ample storage room and is a top notch ski boat. It kinda does it all IMHO. What else would Bu do--other than bring back the classic SLXi? And, my belief is that most folks wanting a family ski boat bought the RLXi over the classic SLXi--prompting Bu to make changes in 2005. JMHO.

I have 4 kids, ranging from 5 to 14. My kids have friends that come out with us, or we invite another family to go out with us, again with 4 +/- kids. My SLxi can accomodate that number without problem. At 6:00 am when I and my 2 ski buddies go out to get some serious skiing in, my SLxi can handle that quite well also. I know that my SLxi does not handle my 6:00 am runs quite as well as a RLxi, but the RLxi can't even come close to handling the family runs as well as my SLxi. I need a boat that does both well. So, I'm looking for a modernized version of the SLxi classic, or a bigger RLxi variant.

Lately, I've considered trying out a V-drive with a Diamond hull and Gorilla fins because I have been told they ski quite well. Some have told me that it will ski nearly as well as my SLxi, but I'm still not buying that. I do love the room tho.

Although I'm always in favor of someone buying a Nautique, I have to ask, what's wrong with the RLXi? Doesn't that qualify as a family ski boat? I love my Nautique and have no intentions of parting from it--but my experience is that that RLXi has ample storage room and is a top notch ski boat. It kinda does it all IMHO. What else would Bu do--other than bring back the classic SLXi? And, my belief is that most folks wanting a family ski boat bought the RLXi over the classic SLXi--prompting Bu to make changes in 2005. JMHO.

I have 4 kids, ranging from 5 to 14. My kids have friends that come out with us, or we invite another family to go out with us, again with 4 +/- kids. My SLxi can accomodate that number without problem. At 6:00 am when I and my 2 ski buddies go out to get some serious skiing in, my SLxi can handle that quite well also. I know that my SLxi does not handle my 6:00 am runs quite as well as a RLxi, but the RLxi can't even come close to handling the family runs as well as my SLxi. I need a boat that does both well. So, I'm looking for a modernized version of the SLxi classic, or a bigger RLxi variant.

Lately, I've considered trying out a V-drive with a Diamond hull and Gorilla fins because I have been told they ski quite well. Some have told me that it will ski nearly as well as my SLxi, but I'm still not buying that. I do love the room tho.

Now that is just crazy talk Crazy.gif You may require some intervention....

Ditto mrothwell's comments above. Saturday, I had myself, two adult women, three 17 year old girls and my 1-1/2 year old daugther on the boat, along with the requisite coolers, bags full of stuff girls "need", life jackets, water toys, safety gear, etc,etc. It was no problem on my SSLXI, but I'm not quite sure it would have been near as comfortable on a Response.

The dimensions of the SN216 just seem to match up better to what I currently have. My opinion is the new Sunsetter is too big and the Response too small (and I'm not a good enough skier to need the Response's wake, which would probably be no better than my SSLXI the way we tend to load the boat up, BICBW)

Well now you had to be mean spirited didn't you? Crazy.gif

Mean spirited? Naw... I just like giving you trouble anytime I can! Tongue.gif

For everyone eles, I really didn't hear that rumor, I just made it up cause I knew it would bother malibudude. :lol:

Someone posted pictures of the wake behind their Sunscape 21. If you're not looking for a competition wake, you couldn't ask for much more along the lines of a ski wake. And it's a boat you can actually board behind as well.

I fully expected this reply from you.

In fact, I get this same reply from ME. But I still wonder.

I can attest that the diamond vdrives (at least the "old" ones) slalom incredibly well. Bigger 22 bump, yes, but still VERY nice. I ski behind an '04 sunscape quite often, and, although I have a rlxi at my disposal, the sunscape is still a joy to ski behind. I think fijirob has an 05 sunscape and has posted pics, wake looks great!

Ditto mrothwell's comments above. Saturday, I had myself, two adult women, three 17 year old girls and my 1-1/2 year old daugther on the boat, along with the requisite coolers, bags full of stuff girls "need", life jackets, water toys, safety gear, etc,etc. It was no problem on my SSLXI, but I'm not quite sure it would have been near as comfortable on a Response.

The dimensions of the SN216 just seem to match up better to what I currently have. My opinion is the new Sunsetter is too big and the Response too small (and I'm not a good enough skier to need the Response's wake, which would probably be no better than my SSLXI the way we tend to load the boat up, BICBW)

Dimensions might match, but I would be surprised if you buy it after driving it. It drives and skis nowhere near your slxi, and although I haven't skied a new slxi, I have spent a great deal of time in a 216, and it's just, let me be nice, not a high performing boat. Let's put it this way, the "old" sunscape Vdrive handles way better and skis even more better...and anything that does something even more better is a good thing given that you have to use terrible English to say it!

Dimensions might match, but I would be surprised if you buy it after driving it. It drives and skis nowhere near your slxi, and although I haven't skied a new slxi, I have spent a great deal of time in a 216, and it's just, let me be nice, not a high performing boat. Let's put it this way, the "old" sunscape Vdrive handles way better and skis even more better...and anything that does something even more better is a good thing given that you have to use terrible English to say it!

I'm sure you're right, but I feel I lucked into a boat that I feel is perfect for my needs and the needs of my family and friends, and the above talk about Malibu possibly not offering a boat in the "family oriented ski boat" category would be a mistake on their part and is discouraging to me.

If Malibu neglects the direct drive family ski boat category, instead of dreaming of the day I go to the dealer to place an order for a new one (probably a few years off at least, the way my boat is holding up), I now have to face the prospect of Malibu not offering something I want/need, so I'll be forced to look elsewhere when the time comes.

Of course, they haven't discontinued the Sunsetter LXi, yet, and I haven't driven one to give it a fair shake, but I'm real skeptical because of the increased size/weight, but who knows...

Edited by rts

Have you seen the pics of fiji rob's 05 sunscape wake? That the exact same hull, except the slxi would be even better being a DD. The fact of the matter is, not many people have skied the new slxi on here. I think Edwin was who drove it and didn't particularly laud the ski wake, but he's a good skier from what I recall and has a rlxi, so he is probably a tougher critic than most. For open water skiing and even at longer line lengths in the course, I think it would be fine. Heck, I'd bet its better than virtually every boat on the market 10 years ago.

From the barefooter's perspective: (like anybody cares Crazy.gif )

I'm confident the old Slxi equiped with the new HH would meet the top end needs for most barefooters. I'd be willing to bet that this is not the case with the new version. If there's ever another Bu in my future it'll most likely be a Sunscape.

Well the 06 hit 46 with the hammerhead with a 13x12 prop. I bet a 13x13 could eek out some more.

Are you jumping Tom? Do you need more than that? The wakes, IMO, would be the weak point, not the speed.

I've heard they're coming out with the new RLXi wakeless hover edition for next year. No word on how they solved the tracking or spray problems... Crazy.gif

McFly! Hoverboards don't work on water!

Well the 06 hit 46 with the hammerhead with a 13x12 prop. I bet a 13x13 could eek out some more.

Are you jumping Tom? Do you need more than that? The wakes, IMO, would be the weak point, not the speed.

Are you talking wsm tests? Don't forget that at least 2 come off the top when the ssp is added. I'm guessing that after the boat is loaded with people and gear, fitted with the ssp, and a footer is placed in tow, that the 46 becomes 42-43 tops. Fine for recreational footing, unacceptable to a serious barefooter.

As far as the wake gos, the Rlx and Rlxi are both far from perfect. If the speed is there I would think the footing wake on the new Slxi would be of similar quality. The slalom skiers are the ones that have been complaining about the wake...but the only one I know who's skied it is edwin.

Not jumping but I have been doing some racing. Also, I like a solid 44 mph for long line one foots, wake crossing, surface hopping etc.

Just MO, but the SSP would have less of a need on the slxi, I would think. The 2 degree difference in hull V should be sufficient to sharpen up those crests like an SSP'd rlx. The table, however, would not be so bueno on that big footprint.

I hear you that 42-43 is not enough, I'm just guessin that it would do better than that. Heck, I pulled a buddy (an open competitor) 46, not buried, with 6 people in the boat, with a monsoon, 13 x12 in a rlxi! Given that, I would not believe that a slxi with the SSP, 13 x13, and the hammerhead would not hit 45. The SSP will have more diminishing returns on the SLXI anyway because more hull already rides in the water.

But hey, I must admit, I foot very infrequently, so my opinions are just that...opinions.

Okay, this is JMO as well, but I suspect that John is on the right track. The Stroker (as I prefer to call it) has so much torque that even loaded up, I'd be very surprised if you lost that much off of the top end. Heck, even in my big boat with gear & people, I get 46-47 out of it (GPS). This motor doesn't shine necessarily on power & speed when it's unloaded, it's when you load it down that it really shows its colors.

Heck, even in my big boat with gear & people, I get 46-47 out of it (GPS).

Everything else being equal the v-drive is going to do a little better on top end because the weight in the back will lift a little more hull out of the water. (That's why I would consider the Sunscape.)

The plate would be a must have for me...not for the crests but for the table.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing about the top end issue. I would be really interested to know for sure, but I'm not going to order one to find out. :)

I guess what I'm trying to say is that (imho) the Sunscape is probably a better footing boat than the new Slxi. We've seen lot's of speculation about this boat but little feedback from people who have actually skied it, and 0 feedback from anybody who's footed behind it.

Peter's thoughts on this subject sure would be interesting.

Everything else being equal the v-drive is going to do a little better on top end because the weight in the back will lift a little more hull out of the water. (That's why I would consider the Sunscape.)

I'm not necessarily disagreeing about the top end issue. I would be really interested to know for sure, but I'm not going to order one to find out. :)

I guess what I'm trying to say is that (imho) the Sunscape is probably a better footing boat than the new Slxi. We've seen lot's of speculation about this boat but little feedback from people who have actually skied it, and 0 feedback from anybody who's footed behind it.

Agreed, & you're probably right about the vdrive vs. DD. With that said, I'd be curious to know what a Fakesetter could do on the top end with a Stroker.

Agreed, & you're probably right about the vdrive vs. DD. With that said, I'd be curious to know what a Fakesetter could do on the top end with a Stroker.

47.5 last WS test (sunscape...but ballast accessories only add about 100)

I would bet, however, that a 13x13 prop on that slxi would have it at 47...given what toad has discovered. Just a thought.

I heard that they are coming out with a new center console fishing boat that can be run in offshore salt water. Oh wait, that was another company... Biggrin.gif

NICE! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I heard from my dealer that in a couple of years (not sure when, maybe by 2008), the iSpec will be 3D, and you will see each and every option be added to your boat.

I heard from my dealer that in a couple of years (not sure when, maybe by 2008), the iSpec will be 3D, and you will see each and every option be added to your boat.

Doesn't seem like that would be TOO hard. I mean the car companies have that already. Why not the boat companies? The technology is there, it's just a $$ thing now.

Maybe we could get something like this set up for the Towel Group Buy :)