Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Audi Q7 towing experience?

Brianborder

I have a Malibu VTX and currently tow with a Toyota Sequoia with air suspension. I'm considering an Audi Q7 TDI without the air suspension (not ready for the price jump to the air suspension) and wondering if the standard suspension will handle the tongue weight of the VTX ok or will it sag a lot? Anyone with experience please chime in.

Thanks,

-Brian

Not a Q7, but I am on my 2nd mercedes GL diesel. Best thing ever to tow the boat and fit the family. Mine has air suspension and works great. Can't even tell when the boat s hooked-up and gets great mileage even when towing. Approx 16 mpg.

I would take it on an extended test drive and hook it up to your boat. Last time I was car shopping the dealer let me bring the the truck I was thinking about buying home for the weekend.

Great idea about the test drive.

How much do they want extra for the air ride?

Looking forward to hearing the responses to this, we are looking at selling one of our Audi's and the truck and getting a Q7.

I'm also very interested in how it tows without the air ride suspension. I'm looking into getting a Q7 TDI to tow my Vride. I would love the air ride suspension but most of the certified used Audi's that have air ride suspension are also fully upgraded and in the 60k range...

Don't know if I could ever go back to not having having air suspension but if choose the Q7 without you could install a weight distribution hitch if the ride and handling is compromised? My brother had one on his 4x4 towing a 22 foot Sea Ray. Leveled everything out nicely and a lot cheaper than air suspension.

I'm switching tow rigs myself, and going to an X5, but with airbags. I've done a lot of reading on-line (multiple brands, multiple forums) and what I've concluded is that if you can get the leveling suspension on a mid-size SUV, do it. Especially if you're going to be hauling long distances.

If you're towing short distances, I hardly think it will matter, just be aware of tongue weight, as that tends to be the biggest limitation of the unibody rigs from what I have read.

Edited by rennis

My wife drives a '13 Q7 TDI without air suspension. I had the factory tow package installed, but have not towed the boat with it yet since I always use my Tundra. I have been wanting to see how it does myself....if you can wait about 2-weeks I will let you know how it does as well as measure how much the tongue weight squats it. (without passengers and gear) I did measure the height of the receiver without any trailer and it is exactly the same height as the one on my Tundra. My '99 VLX is also 400lbs lighter than your VTX per the specs.

Yikes.........on the Audi website, it says with the towing package it's rated to tow 5,500-6,600. Your boat, plus trailer, plus full tank of gas is pushing almost 5,000# if my math is correct. 3,300 dry weight boat, 46 gallons of gas: ~250#, trailer about 950? Total: 4500........okay, so throw in some toys, boat batteries, etc, and you're at 5000.

Audi specs here: http://www.audiusa.com/models/audi-q7?csref=92225155266327638

I pull with a Mercedes ML 320 (also diesel) that is rated to tow 7,000, and I do get a bit of sagging on mine (VTX). I had to get a hitch with 3 inch rise to get my boat level when towing.

Definitely try it before you buy it!

Edited by nmlejche

The Discovery 4 i drive is rated to tow a max of 7,700 which is scary heavy when you add the weight of the car as well, making the total weight of both 13,640 without passengers and gear.

In saying that you don't even notice the Sunsetter LXi when towing but I think it is only around the 4,400 pound weight mark.

Good luck with the test drive and purchase

Sorry to hijack but '07 with a G3? Did I miss something?

The OP was asking about an Audi Q7 without air suspension. The Q7 and Cayenne are built off the same body and suspension. I offered pics of my Cayenne with steel suspension as a reference for a Q7 in regards to sagging.

I had to get a hitch with 3 inch rise to get my boat level when towing.

Definitely try it before you buy it!

Agree to try before you buy if possible, and read as much as you can.

Here is a pic of my new setup from today. No sag from the X but you can tell I need to put a small rise in the hitch to level the trailer, just as nmlejche mentions on his setup. (Very happy with my first tow today, btw)

post-15223-13771510074649_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

becareful with a WD hitch on a surge brake trailer. That's a lot of stress on the hitch and can bind the brake mechanism.

Is the Touareg rated higher tow cap than the Q7? I seem to remember it being in the 7-8k range.

The Discovery 4 i drive is rated to tow a max of 7,700 which is scary heavy when you add the weight of the car as well, making the total weight of both 13,640 without passengers and gear.

In saying that you don't even notice the Sunsetter LXi when towing but I think it is only around the 4,400 pound weight mark.

Good luck with the test drive and purchase

We use a discovery 3 (LR3) with 7700 lbs tow capacity and it's been very impressive. Would opt for the V8 over the 4.0L 217 hp V6 if towing was a regular occurrence. That "small" vehicle, has enough weight to handle some big tows.

The OP was asking about an Audi Q7 without air suspension. The Q7 and Cayenne are built off the same body and suspension. I offered pics of my Cayenne with steel suspension as a reference for a Q7 in regards to sagging.

Ya I get that, I was just wondering how/when you got a G3 on your '07 VTX?!

We use a discovery 3 (LR3) with 7700 lbs tow capacity and it's been very impressive. Would opt for the V8 over the 4.0L 217 hp V6 if towing was a regular occurrence. That "small" vehicle, has enough weight to handle some big tows.

Mine is the 2.7 TD which has plenty of grunt. My brother has the newer 3.0 TD which is even more impressive with the twin turbo's. Diesel makes sense in Australia as it is a lot cheaper than unleaded petrol.

Mine is the 2.7 TD which has plenty of grunt. My brother has the newer 3.0 TD which is even more impressive with the twin turbo's. Diesel makes sense in Australia as it is a lot cheaper than unleaded petrol.

It's hovers around the same price here in Canada but good luck finding a diesel vehicle that isn't a VW or 3/4 ton truck. It seems no manufacturers want to produce diesels for the NA market.