Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New "Used" Boat Suggestions

JamesDean

Hey guys,

I have really taken to surfing and am selling my boat that I bought a couple months ago (yea...i know that was fast).

I want to get a vdrive with ballast for surfing...and looking forward to more seating, beam, freeboard, etc.

So that being the case...I have two questions:

1. My budget will be around 25 - 30K. I know thats tight for getting a surf boat. But ideally, looking for a used boat that throws a decent wake with stock ballast. I am open to other brands besides Malibu (gasp...i know ... but i have to work with my budget). Any suggestions on boats that throw decent wakes with stock ballast...etc?

2. I currently own a 2001 F150 supercrew, 2 wheel drive pickup. I think a 23 footer will be too much for my truck. But a 21 or 22 ft maybe ok. It will be a stretch to afford a truck as well...but may get an older diesel as just a tow rig. Any comments on my current truck and a good pairing for a vdrive? My preference is to get a decent 21ft wakesurf boat that my truck would be able to handle...but i inderstand that a 23ft is ideal. The towing to my lake is not too bad in regard to elevation change.

Thanks!!

Edited by JamesDean

You should be able to get into a 2000-2004 Malibu Wakesetter VLX (21') or maybe even a LSV (23') in that price range. Of course the newer the year the less bells and whistles it will have or may need a little more TLC.

As far as towing, your truck should handle either if it is a V8. I tow my 01 VLX with a 06 Toyota Tundra crew with the 4.7 V8, it is 4wd but have only had to use it on a launch with rocks and never needed on concrete ramps.

Not sure on boat recommendations since I am a fairly new boat owner but with regards to towing I have a ford expedition with the v8 and I tow our '08 247 with it and don't have any problems. We trailer a couple hours to the lakes we go to and haven't seen any tow issues. Launching hasn't been a problem either, haven't needed to pop into 4 wheel drive but the ramps I have been using are fairly well maintained concrete ramps. Might need to drop it into 4 wheel drive if I had a challenging ramp.

Picked up a '01 vlx this year for 25k (Canadian prices). Has a decent surf wake and tows no prob with '10 tundra.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk 4

The search is on again! Location so we can help? Sometimes you don't know exactly what to look for until it pops up.

I am located in Northern CA. And I must clarify....I am trying to sell my boat at the moment! But I am trying to learn more about these vdrives and what to look for, etc.

I mostly boat at Shasta Lake.

If my truck would pull a 23lsv than that would be great! More concerned about pulling it out at a steep ramp and my two wheel drive.

Edited by JamesDean

Got it.

I've only had to put my truck in 4wd once while pulling the boat out. That was enough to justify having it. And my boat weighs the same as your current one roughly. All depends on the ramp.

Yes, my trucks back end has broken free several times with my current boat...and it weighs 2300 lbs dry.....but I also have some worn tires needing replacing. My newer boat will prob be 1400 lbs heavier...so it would be close. The problem is the ramp as its very steep.

I prob would be ok with a 21ft...

Currently considering an older vlx...and "cough" supreme or supra. Some of these other boats have a more v shaped hull requiring less ballast. I am concerned about safety for my family and dont want to list a boat over so dramatically as I have seen.

Shasta can be pretty rough...and almost void of any boating etiquette it seems....crazy the stuff I see every weekend :(

Edited by JamesDean

Not sure on boat recommendations since I am a fairly new boat owner but with regards to towing I have a ford expedition with the v8 and I tow our '08 247 with it and don't have any problems. We trailer a couple hours to the lakes we go to and haven't seen any tow issues. Launching hasn't been a problem either, haven't needed to pop into 4 wheel drive but the ramps I have been using are fairly well maintained concrete ramps. Might need to drop it into 4 wheel drive if I had a challenging ramp.

Hmm....what yr is your expedition? My 01 supercrew trailer rating is 3400 to 3900 lb...so I think even with an older vlx I would be pushing it. I believe the newer half tons have higher tow ratings.

Another thing I worry about is stopping!

I have a ram 1500 hemi & I have to use four wheel on our ramps that have a bit of angle. My advice is to find a boat with everything you want or one for a good price, then add up everything you want. My 02 vlx was picked up for 22k, I am now close to 27-28k between picking it up 900 miles away, ballast upgrade, stereo, minor repairs of things that should have been done years back, a good cover. I'm sure I am missing more. If I was to do it over again I would have searched for one that was stored inside & looks new. My interior is a 5 or a 6, it was clear the boat did not get the love it should have & she's got issues with the wiring. However it runs fine, does very well, exterior hull is excellent & I am on the water

I have a ram 1500 hemi & I have to use four wheel on our ramps that have a bit of angle. My advice is to find a boat with everything you want or one for a good price, then add up everything you want. My 02 vlx was picked up for 22k, I am now close to 27-28k between picking it up 900 miles away, ballast upgrade, stereo, minor repairs of things that should have been done years back, a good cover. I'm sure I am missing more. If I was to do it over again I would have searched for one that was stored inside & looks new. My interior is a 5 or a 6, it was clear the boat did not get the love it should have & she's got issues with the wiring. However it runs fine, does very well, exterior hull is excellent & I am on the water

Enjoy your boat! I am going to be patient and hope to find one in good condition...but have to sell this one first!

Anyone interested in a 94 Euro F3 :)

And yes definitely think I need a 4x4...ramp is steep!

Coming from your Euro any new V drive is going to throw a monster wave for you, and you're going to just die when you are in it and there actually is room to move. Find one that has been taken care of and you'll get many years out of it.

Hmm....what yr is your expedition? My 01 supercrew trailer rating is 3400 to 3900 lb...so I think even with an older vlx I would be pushing it. I believe the newer half tons have higher tow ratings.

Another thing I worry about is stopping!

My expedition is an '08 and the towing capacity is rated at 9100lbs. Doesn't really have a problem towing on grade or stopping but as I said I haven't had to pull my 247 up a really bad ramp