Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

you dont need a fat sac!

dcav88

I have a wakesetter vlx and got a beautiful 3 foot wave by just filling the center and right ballast. 9.3 mph and power wedge halfway down. Also my left ballasts are not filling up. Any ideas?

Edited by dcav88

wow, and I thought bigger was better, I'm going to get rid of my truck and start towing with an escape, the towing capacity is JUST out of range, but maybe I've been doing that wrong too. :rofl:

P.S. pics or it didn't happen. ;)

9.3 LOL. Ya, no wonder why he didnt post any pics.

We've all been doing it wrong all this time!!

To be honest I seem to get the most push from our wave going around 9.3-9.6 surfing the starboard side of our 08 vlx. I use 500lb front, left and center mls full along with a 750 sac in the left locker and wedge all the way down. This creates a wave like a wall that is easy for beginners to learn ropeless. Keep in mind our water is about only 10ft

Edited by BlitzedVLX

I posted it on youtube. Of course a bigger wave is better. But people were telling me that you would need a fat sack. Just trying to save peeps money. I actually do have a 500 pound fat sac in the left ballast

Edited by dcav88

Yeah I hear ya. Shallow water makes it harder to get a nice wave.

To be honest I seem to get the most push from our wave going around 9.3-9.6 surfing the starboard side of our 08 vlx. I use 500lb front, left and center mls full along with a 750 sac in the left locker and wedge all the way down. This creates a wave like a wall that is easy for beginners to learn ropeless. Keep in mind our water is about only 10ft

Edited by dcav88

so you DO need a fat sac or you don't? I'm lost. 500 pounds can be the difference sure? and if you're going to install a bag to make a surfable wave, that's why people go with 750 or 1,100# bags so that they have potential to make a 'bigger' wave in the future as they progress.

I have a 500 pounder in the left but I prefer to surf right. It also depends on how deep the water is. If you are on a shallow river, you might need some help.

so you DO need a fat sac or you don't? I'm lost. 500 pounds can be the difference sure? and if you're going to install a bag to make a surfable wave, that's why people go with 750 or 1,100# bags so that they have potential to make a 'bigger' wave in the future as they progress.

I think he was saying that for surfing the port side he adds a 500lb bag and for surfing starboard he surfs with extra ballast. So...I guess the answer is both.

Thanks for posting.

The reason your getting some flack is because no one is going to be making a great wave with that little ballast and speed. But sometimes we need more of these posts here on TMC so ppl just reading will know that they DON'T need 2000 lbs of ballast bags and $6000 in stereo upgrades just to have a fun time.

Glad you got a nice wave with so little effort. From the video I would say try speeding up a bit just to clean up the face of the wave.

TMC hot-shots, think back and remember your first wakesurfing wave. Probably VERY different from the wave you ride now, doesn't make it any less fun. The waves generally match the skill level of those riding it, so the newer you are to the sport, the less you need. More posts like this will attract more newbies onto the slippery slope that is big wave wakesurfing! BTW, my first surf wave was 4 rubbermaid bins filled with water in the back of a ski-nautique. At the time it was a great wave, and seeing as I've never gone back, thats how it will always be remembered.

turn on your pump and see if you can hear it. My guess is the pump is warn out and you need to buy new guts for it.

Couple other things to check, circuit breaker and that's it's plugged in.

Im a newbie haha? I have been surfing for a long time. Although... I just got this boat and that was my first time wakesurfing.

Both were pretty obvious to the trained eye. :biggrin:

Wait till you dial that wave in! While it's good to know these boats can produce a wave with less weight.........some day soon you'll laugh that you ever wanted to ride it like that. With your ability, a dialed in wave, and a properly sized board.......the possibilities of what you can do back there are going to expand by about 1000....

Have fun learning bud!

No offense meant D. I was trying to say it along the lines of BS. Your riding wasn't newbie, but your wave is and as BS said, one day you will look back and shake your head. Maybe even be so blunt as to laugh at someone when they come on and say they can wakesurf with no ballast! :cheers:

Edited by TrickyNicky

Thanks. I think I will move the sack over to the other side.

Both were pretty obvious to the trained eye. :biggrin:

Wait till you dial that wave in! While it's good to know these boats can produce a wave with less weight.........some day soon you'll laugh that you ever wanted to ride it like that. With your ability, a dialed in wave, and a properly sized board.......the possibilities of what you can do back there are going to expand by about 1000....

Have fun learning bud!

turn on your pump and see if you can hear it. My guess is the pump is warn out and you need to buy new guts for it.

I definitely heard the pump but it just wasnt filling.

Couple other things to check, circuit breaker and that's it's plugged in.

[quote name="TrickyNicky" post="635256"

Do you by any chance know how to move the sack and hose to the starboard side?

No offense meant D. I was trying to say it along the lines of BS. Your riding wasn't newbie, but your wave is and as BS said, one day you will look back and shake your head. Maybe even be so blunt as to laugh at someone when they come on and say they can wakesurf with no ballast! :cheers:

I have noticed the speed is slower and less weight is needed to get the same size and shape of wave on the correct side of the boat. Just saying it seems harder to get a wave on the port side.

Do you by any chance know how to move the sack and hose to the starboard side?

Are you having trouble with your below floor ballast hard tanks or do you have plug-n-play bags that your having trouble with? I'm not sure I can help you with either but some clarification will go a long way.

Maybe I'm the only one confused.

Factory floor ballast. The entire left side.

Are you having trouble with your below floor ballast hard tanks or do you have plug-n-play bags that your having trouble with? I'm not sure I can help you with either but some clarification will go a long way.

Hey dcav88, a tip to help posting. to help read what you're replying with, writing outside of the quote makes it easier to follow.

Factory floor ballast. The entire left side.

writing in here is hard to tell what's new and what's not.

• Like 4