Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cove music etiquette

racer808

What is your guys take on cove music? I was first one in to our fav lil cove. I am a concious of others sort of guy so I anchored so my tower faced away from everyone off into open field & the cliffs. I had it loud enough where it would be hearable but not loud, loud enough behind for us to enjoy. Then others show up & one turns theirs up, it distorts my music,*******************, I win. I control cove music. Is it sort of like rock paper scissors to you guys too? Does it become a no music cove? I didn't think interfering with Blurred Lines was appropriate.

Edited by Ronnie
Language. First warning.

It always happens this way unfortunately. Someone is going to think his music is way better and try to drown you out. It will never change.

We try to switch out stereo's in our beach area, but before the day is over it will always happen.

That's why you gotta link up with other boats, nobody even tries at that point regardless of how tough they think their system is. Works every time around here.

• Like 3

How about some thread language etiquette.

LOL, he said D#%Ks

We have this happen to us all the time at the local sand bar. I usually let the other boat run their battery down and I just tolerate what they want to listen to, unless they start playing top 40, then I have to turn up my "feel good" reggae/rock and drownd them out.

My personal preference is to leave it switched off.

It's always so peaceful at our river's edge until someone decides we all have to listen to their music. Generally others just tolerate it but it goes over like a wrought iron hang glider...

• Like 3

Emerson wrote about this, only it was not music, it was cows. As long as there is more than one human in a common space the issue will never go away.......

Emerson wrote about this, only it was not music, it was cows. As long as there is more than one human in a common space the issue will never go away.......

Garrett Hardin. Science, 1968

http://m.sciencemag.org/content/162/3859/1243.full

Ushered in the environmental movement that culminated with Nixon creating the EPA and singing the Clean Water Act.

But it does apply to stereo wars in the cove as well as tubers doing figure 8s in pristine morning glass.

Edited by shawndoggy

Most of the time I don't have a problem either. Everyone leaves the volume at an acceptable level so they can hear their's and I can hear mine. When things start to go sideways it is good to have tower speakers with swivel mounts to direct the sound towards the offending party that wants to play the part of the meat head. Nothing like some horns blasting old guy music right at them, kinda works like bug spray.

• Like 4

I have a big system and will ask what the others like and try to find a happy ground. I like it all. If someone is trying to play my system is bigger they win the fact is I don't care and no way are they going to change the fact that I am having a good time by getting into a war with them. I will say sometimes we all keep it at a low tone and just play our own music.

I keep my stereo down so I can have a conversation with others. Funny thing at our lake, 1 song gets played loud and that's "red solo cup". Other boat op's seem to have made red solo cups mandatory equipment. It's pretty funny to see everyone in 10 boats stand up and sing. Next step IMO is pole dancing on the decks!!

Spent 5 days at Shasta this past week and only heard one other boat the, entire time, playing loud music. A few years ago it seemed everyboat was blasting tunes. Maybe times are changing, again?

• Like 1

Spent 5 days at Shasta this past week and only heard one other boat the, entire time, playing loud music. A few years ago it seemed everyboat was blasting tunes. Maybe times are changing, again?

Where were you guys, We were by the Dam!!! Little Back bone creek Arm!

How was the water at shasta? I was there early summer and it was decent, but dropping 6-9" a day. We forgot to push the houseboat back one day, and the following day it took 10 of us to get it off the shore...good thing we didn't wait all week haha

Where were you guys, We were by the Dam!!! Little Back bone creek Arm!

Near the squaw/pitt split for 2 nights then up the mccloud the other 3

Sent from my T.E.D. 'Toilet Entertainment Device'

I normally like to leave mine off till I either get really tired of someones music or I know they are starting to run into battery / heat issues and then let mine loose.

I do prefer when you get a few stereo's tied together so it's one big party not ten trying to fight each other.

It is annoying when someone rolls into the cove and just starts blaring their music before "settling in" and figuring out what the masses are enjoying.

I still won't forget one time at my local lake a year or two ago. Some old guy had one pa speaker on his back deck and kept repeating 2 or 3 michael jackson songs.

When we got tired of riding we tied up and were asked by a few buddies that had been there most of the day to drown it out with anything but MJ. That was really the only time that I know I pissed one guy off with my stereo.

But the rest of the cove was happier.

I try my hardest to stay out of crowded coves/slews when I drop anchor. But if someone else comes in blaring music, I know my Johnny Cash playing thru my (4) 6 1/2" 3 way pioneers can't compete. So I pull up my anchor and head to another cove/slew.

Its amazing how some people have more invested in their stereos than I do in both my boat and trailer.

I fell into the stereo war once, and once only. And it was against some guy in a 23LSV. Gorgeous boat. But kind of unfriendly.

I've tried to wave and be nice to these guys on a number of occasions. Anyway, we were stopped, lounging with stereo up just a bit. They turned theirs up just a bit past mine, so, ha, of course I rev mine up as loud as it will go.

Well, obviously they had thousands of more watts than I did, lol. Blew mine away. They only did it for a minute, thank goodness. But country music? Loud? Sorry country fans, just not my style. I'll take rap over it.

Steve B.

We sadly don't have the luxury of private coves. One is the known party cove, no point in going in there & when we do I have no qualms about drowning out the party tie off with my own music which only affects us, they can't hear us over theirs. There is one small cove I frequent though & if I am first one in I try to remain in control of the music. Otherwise I either join in or just keep mine down & the tower off. Which is what I was asking originally. I feel justified in swinging back if some guy comes in second then points his tower at me & doesn't expect me to over power him so easily. I will admit, as summer winds down I am starting to feel silly for blowing what I spent on my set up, but it was my first cool boat and dammit I wanted it all!!

Racer,

Yes most think summer is winding down but we always say that the real ski / boat season starts on Labor day. :biggrin:

Edited by danadog

Post Labor Day wakeboarding is the best!!! Fewer boats out and the water usually is warmer than the air here in western PA. Great time to enjoy the water even if you're shivering when you get out.

• Like 2