Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bummed... my family's season ends a little early

shawndoggy

My 14 year old son has been in martial arts since he was 4 and is now testing for his 3rd degree blackbelt. Friday night was his sparring test, and he got taken down and fell wrong, breaking his ankle. Really bummed for him. Test was going to be over next week. No bearing weight on it for a month. So that means he's out for cross country this fall (he's been running with the team all summer and is/was right on the cusp of making varsity as a freshman) and can't perform his open form at a big show that the school does every year. Really bummed for him. This is a vid I shot of a "rough" version of the form from a couple of months back:

Collateral damage is that he'll be in a cast for the next month, which pretty much kills the rest of our boating season. Ugh.

Sorry to hear. Was there last year with a collar bone (twice).

Side note if he's 14 does he have his boater's safety? Perfect time to get him behind the wheel more often to hone his skills there and not feel left out on the boat.

Ha, collarbone was 3 years ago for him.... right about the same time of year.

He gets a cast on Monday. Will see what the doc says... my concern is getting a cast wet. Also because of where the fracture is, all medical professional have been adamant that he bear no weight on the leg at all for at least three weeks (cracked tibia right above growth plate... if he messes it up, could impact his growth). So that also impacts crawling in / around boat. boating takes a big backseat to keeping my man healthy.

Ha, collarbone was 3 years ago for him.... right about the same time of year.

He gets a cast on Monday. Will see what the doc says... my concern is getting a cast wet. Also because of where the fracture is, all medical professional have been adamant that he bear no weight on the leg at all for at least three weeks (cracked tibia right above growth plate... if he messes it up, could impact his growth). So that also impacts crawling in / around boat. boating takes a big backseat to keeping my man healthy.

They make waterproof covers for casts, plus you could ask the doc to put him in a cast that is water resistant (they can do that, but may not be willing). My son broke his arm at the beginning of summer one year & we got the cast cover for him. Works well enough on the boat & you'll need it for the shower too (unless you enjoy bagging it up with duct tape).

He's a lil bad a**. But then you both lose so many cool points for listening to Ace of Bass... :cheers:

Lol racer you need to bone up on your crappy pop music knowledge... That's lady gaga.

• Like 2

Lol racer you need to bone up on your crappy pop music knowledge... That's lady gaga.

You are correct, my daughter pointed that out. But to be fair to my knowledge, it is the song that was controversially since it was the Ace of Bass riff she ripped off

That stinks, sorry to hear about this.... I remember when my oldest son broke his hand a couple years ago playing rugby, that was a one year recovery, one month and some physical does not sound too bad, wish him a speedy recovery!

Bummer that littledoggy got busted up, but that's one bad little dude! He'll heal quick and be back at it in no time. My suggestion is to make the most of it and work the crutches a bit...he'll have young ladies flocking to him to help. When life gives you lemons....

ahopkins22LSV

Total bummer!! Good thing about being that young is you heal quickly. Maybe this season you guys can stretch it a little longer to get him back on the wáter before the boat gets put away.

However, if you can't when I dislocated my shoulder a few seasons ago I was out for the remainder and it sucked but it made starting the next season that much better because I was so happy to be back on the wáter!

Bring him to St. George and I can get him in a waterproof cast. The days of covering casts pretty well went away with the dinosaurs. Rarely guys will use the old fashioned stuff after setting a gnarly displaced fracture, but it does not sound like that is the case with him. Most insurances still don't pay for the waterproof cast since it is a 'luxury'. My doctor's office charges an extra 25 bucks if you want it waterproof. The water just runs out of it...sort of like that stuff that Malibu uses for their snap out carpet, although I have never seen the carpet.

Best wishes for a quick recovery.

• Like 2

Bummer. Just have to roll with stuff like this. Good thing is that kids heal 10x faster than old people.

Our season is over as well. All the lakes have dried up and school is starting in a few days.

our ortho is a family friend and his son is testing for his second degree right now and is also a cross country teammate. So if we *can* get waterproof I'm sure we will. Thanks for suggesting it! Even if it's just for taking a shower, seems like a no brainer.