Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

13' VLX PNP 550 Wedge Sac Fully Loaded Pic & Wave Pics

Afun

Finally a picture of the 550 Fly High Sacs. As you can see, you still have space for storage. The wedge part goes under the rear seat nicely. The first two pics are with no wedge all MLS full 10.6 - 11.0 MPH. The last pics are with the wedge fully deployed. I have some video, but do not know how to post vids.

9534278140_ef24f53447_c.jpg

9534278270_d6608ef9d5_c.jpg

9534278378_bbb7559096_c.jpg

9534278472_d335459596_c.jpg

9534278576_1a147684ce_c.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/70391703@N03/9534278680/]9534278680_f574733eac_c.jpg[/

Edited by Afun

The sac isn't a rectangle I assume. Sort of triangle on one end to preserve storage.

Yes. Kind of flat in the front. Has two drain holes and 1 fill. I used all quick releases offered by WakeMakers.com. Fills nicely even if its by gravity. It works. Let the air out of each bag once. Good bags for the VLX. I think the holes are 3/4.

I want to see the video bc your pictures cannot be doing it justice. That non-wedge wave looks so flat it'd be unrideable. ..... and one of the other ones looks dirty as heck. That can't be the case

Really...I thought the pictures looked good. Bad angle. Wife was sitting in observer seat. I surfed the wave today and it felt fine. Nothing like that massive listed 247 wave. I really enjoyed your video.

Edited by Afun

Yeah, that's what I was eluding to: bad angle or somethin. I fully trust that thing puts out a good one! Post some vid someday when you get a sec

Maybe when I get as good as you

Pictures of surfing are always different with the angle of the camera. Here is me surfing with basically same weight setup as Afun (600 lb sumos in each locker), I am 6'1" tall, the wake is near waist high when I am at the lowest part of the wake. To me , it looks totally different than the wake Afun posted up but is more than likely the same size seeing as we have the same exact boat.

DSC_0167_zps85440bde.jpg

Looking good Fman. After adding the additional sacs I did feel the wave a little mushy. Do you have your wedge fully deployed 0% or stowed 200%. I was playing around with the speed too. Started hitting 11.2 mph. What speed are you at? Is that a Ronx Koal you are on?

Sorry for all the questions.

No prob on questions...I have wedge all the way down, all hard tanks filled, 11.0 mph on gps cruise. Board is a 5'6" Ronix Koal Fish... really enjoying the board, it has a great rounded up tip to avoid nose from diving in while coming down the wake. If you run two fins it loosens up nicely for some fun action. We also had 7 people in the boat that day.

Do you have a wake or diamond hull?

No prob on questions...I have wedge all the way down, all hard tanks filled, 11.0 mph on gps cruise. Board is a 5'6" Ronix Koal Fish... really enjoying the board, it has a great rounded up tip to avoid nose from diving in while coming down the wake. If you run two fins it loosens up nicely for some fun action. We also had 7 people in the boat that day.

Do you have a wake or diamond hull?

Wake Hull. I only had 2 people during the pictures and three towards the end of the day. You don't stick that Ronix in the racks....do you?

I agree. Pictures of waves are so subjective. Your pics DO look different than Afun's. That's why I was prodding Afun for some vid. Heck, even being on a boat and looking at a wave with no rider is a little deceiving. Especially when you're talking about the trough of the wave. You can never tell how much of it's rideable until you get out there. I've really gotta see video with a rider on the wave to decipher what I'm looking at.

That said, your wave looks super clean Fman. The whole SG/Non-SG thing aside, I'll say: every single SG wave I've seen looks nice & clean like that. Sweet stuff. Is that Shasta in the pic? What board is that?

So, you're running 600's in the rear + stock + wedge....... any weight in the bow? Speed? Like I've said, I've never gotta ride behind a SG VLX yet and I'm still holding out huge amounts of hope that smaller hull can create the fast/firm wave I prefer.

(*and I'm truly not trying to start sh*t, or a debate, or anything of the sort. I think we've established that different people prefer different waves.....and that is aaallllllll goooood. SG and non-SG waves are here to stay.....we might as well get to a place where we can discuss their differences openly, right? :lol: )

--disregard some of my ?'s......just saw your response

Great points, but as much as I like Surfgate, its not for everyone... it has just been awesome for our family and friends. We usually have a large crew on the boat, so being able to work through the rider list for surfing easily and quickly was big on our list, then being able to quickly switch to a different discipline. For a 21' boat I have been very pleased with the surfwave. I do put two people in the bow, and this winter I might add some additional bow weight. The two 600's seem to be a nice weight balance between transom and bow weight. Malibu recommended the 550 bags for the VLX, I went with the 600's because I wanted the 1" quick disconnects.

Wake Hull. I only had 2 people during the pictures and three towards the end of the day. You don't stick that Ronix in the racks....do you?

Yes, I put the Ronix in the upper surf spline, I did extend the straps out to make it gently hold the surfboard in the rack. The factory length of the shock cords were much too tight on the surfboards. In 2013 Ronix changed the composite of this board, it was denting very easily on older models. I have not had any issues with dings or dents yet, but it is definitely handled with care on the boat, and no swimdeck starts.

Pictures of surfing are always different with the angle of the camera. Here is me surfing with basically same weight setup as Afun (600 lb sumos in each locker), I am 6'1" tall, the wake is near waist high when I am at the lowest part of the wake. To me , it looks totally different than the wake Afun posted up but is more than likely the same size seeing as we have the same exact boat.

Fman, can I ask how well the 600's fit in the lockers? Thinking of getting some myself, but our battery is in one of the lockers and I don't want to smash that with a sack that's too big.

^^^ The 600's fit with no issues in the ski locker compartments if they are empty. I do leave the stowable table in port side which stored against divider. If you had a battery might not be the best idea, it takes up most of the locker, you would more than likely press against the battery.

Take a look on wakemakers site, they have many different bag sizes and shapes available.

Fman....you think you need to make the wave longer by adding bow weight? It would be nice because I do not know how to recover that well yet. That's why I keep the speed low. Maybe I will add more bow weight. My wife is going to hate it.

^^^ bow weight seems to lengthen the pocket, I am considering trying to plumb in another bag in the bow with another Johnson pump. Starting to look at different options for bow bags, would be great to find something that could be stowed and filled under the bow gunwall even if it was only 200-300 lbs. I have also thought about the lead 40lb Pop bags, but not sure if I want to tow around another 300-400 lbs in weight and put the extra load on my trailer. I would like to keep the bow seating available with some extra weight.

^^^ bow weight seems to lengthen the pocket, I am considering trying to plumb in another bag in the bow with another Johnson pump. Starting to look at different options for bow bags, would be great to find something that could be stowed and filled under the bow gunwall even if it was only 200-300 lbs. I have also thought about the lead 40lb Pop bags, but not sure if I want to tow around another 300-400 lbs in weight and put the extra load on my trailer. I would like to keep the bow seating available with some extra weight.

Simple Sumo Bow Sac from Straightline will work. This one is not massive like the Fly High one. I am just not a big fan of the pump. Sometimes it's hard to prime. Lead weights....I agree with you.

^^^^ Over the past three years I have never had an issue with a Johnson pump priming, they always seem to pull water and drain with no issues. I will check into that sumo bow sac.... thanks for the recommendation.