Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer help... I can't catch a break

petrie141

22 hours ago, Fffrank said:

This is the correct part for what you need -- Its not difficult to replace it.  https://www.amazon.com/Atwood-85841-Cylinder-Replacement-Actuators/dp/B001G5QVOW

But -- if your system is dry of fluid and everything else is that rusty, I suspect you'll also need brake pistons and possibly even new brake lines.  It doesn't sound like you're particularly mechanical so I would take this one to the trailer shop.  They'll have dealt with this hundreds or thousands of times.  It should not break the bank to have the brakes gone through and replaced/repaired where needed.

I would have to thank with @jwl019 background. He is very capable.  He is looking for part numbers. 🙃

Edited by Sparky450
  • Like 2
10 hours ago, Sparky450 said:

I would have to thank with @jwl019 background. He is very capable.  He is looking for part numbers. 🙃

Thank ya sir!  Yeah I think I can handle any of the repairs on the brakes.  Out of the 8 other boats/trailers I have had, this is the first without a UFP actuator (even the other Dorsey trailers have had ufp).  Being the Attwood is welded on and no longer manufacturing the actuator or the parts, I was hoping someone has already gone thru the process of swapping stuff.

Yesterday, I flushed the master cylinder reservoir and got all the old contaminated stuff out of there.  I also jacked up a back tire, spun it while compressing the actuator and the tire kept spinning freely (been thinking it may not have working brakes).  Trailer is a tandem with drum brakes on each axle.  This weekend I will try to flush the lines to see if it helps and start troubleshooting if it doesn't.

I can't really start the full project just yet since the trailer needs to roll next weekend for my son's last hoorah on Lake Ouachita before he deploys on the 13th.

From the video and pictures I can't image that the surge brakes are working at all.  It appears that it is missing some sort of guide for the actuator for the surge break and maybe a seal where it fits into the hole.  It appears it would have to move several inched before the surge brake would even have a chance of activating which is a lot.  A trailer shop should be able fix that, inspect and or replace the rest of the brake system quite easily.