Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rear Ballast Drain Pump replacement 2006 LSV

built2rev

Well when I had the motor out of her just a few short months ago. It was suggested to make a couple access panels to get to the pumps out in case the ever fail. Well in a rush to get her up and running I just never got a chance. Well the had came back to bit me this past weekend. Both pumps kept tripping the breaker so I felt it was time to get them replace. It really didn't take me too long just a couple hours start to finish. I did though when I had the motor out at least pull up the screws that held the floor down and get a look at where the pumps were so just in case I ever had too get too them I would have some sort of baseline where too start. Here is the post where I first uncovered where the pumps where.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/42354-project-2006-lsv-underway/page-3

First here is my make shift air duct I made to get some air moving in to the boat, because yes it is AZ and damn it is hot out already

20130817_084115_zps95bc1e91.jpg

Here are the parts I used for this repair.... Some new pumps and a couple hinges I picked up at the Lowes...

20130817_083014_zps158ae7b0.jpg

I pulled the screws out and lifted the floor up and peeled the carpet back. I went 14" across and 6" long

20130817_090003_zps7a87fa04.jpg

I used a Dremmel to do the cutting. It worked pretty well just kinda slow though. Here is the panel cut. Now time to replace the pump cartridge. and reinstall the panel

20130817_091625_zpsa401bd03.jpg

I installed the hinge. Actually worked really well, and was pretty easy wish I would of done it when I had the motor out.

20130817_094437_zpsfc458c87.jpg

20130817_094520_zps3e9b89f8.jpg

I sprayed a little trim adhesive back on the panel and layed the carpet back in place. I decided not to cut the carpet where the panel is. If I ever have to replace the pumps again I will cross that bridge when I get there. Here it all is back in place cant tell it was done.

20130817_095054_zpsfbe915fc.jpg

Now off to the lake first thing tomorrow morning to get them some use!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I was just back there fixing my leaking platform mounts last week. I only had to take out 1 screw (which was under the muffler of course) and was able to flex the floor high enough with a bungee and my pylon. Then I turned into a pretzel and snaked my way through the cross members and over the muffler, all this just to hold a couple nuts.... :crazy:

So I need to do this. Is there a reason you didn't just make a straight cut all the way across?

I really have no reason why i didnt go all the way across, i guess i was just tring to keep most of the floor intact. And i only went 12 inches becasue that was the lenght of the hinges i purchased so i figured that was a good lenght to go with.

I was just back there fixing my leaking platform mounts last week. I only had to take out 1 screw (which was under the muffler of course) and was able to flex the floor high enough with a bungee and my pylon. Then I turned into a pretzel and snaked my way through the cross members and over the muffler, all this just to hold a couple nuts.... :crazy:

So I need to do this. Is there a reason you didn't just make a straight cut all the way across?

Cutting all the way in a straight line would give you an access panel even if the carpet is stuck back on. Good call!

Was the 6 inches measured from the engine side or the side closest to the corner of the boat?

To be honest the 6 inches was just a number i decied to stop at and know that i would have enough room to access the pump easly. FWIW i dont think it matter that much as long as you cut long enough to access the pump I could of went 7 or 8 inches as long as you are close..

After sweating my nards off today with a small boat project, I love the AC unit that you hooked up! I love to work on my boat in the summer, but it is way too hot where I live to do it. Then I lose some motivation in the winter when it is nice and comfy.

• 7 months later...

I'm looking into doing something similar in my boat.

did you have to cut the engine divider 'track'?

It seems that it would not sit flush on the carpet/floor anymore because it would be right on top of the hinge - which sticks up a little bit.

• 4 years later...

I just wanted to chime in years later to say that this is a FANTASTIC idea. I've got a pump out and will definitely be doing this procedure. Way to go built2rev!