Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

My Boatmate Trailer....Concerns About My Bunks

Afun

I'm hoping that is just the auto bilge due to a very steep ramp. Myself and another bu owner in Vegas took the Boy Scouts out for a day on Mead. One of the ramps, Callville, has a steep ramp as well. We pulled them out at the same time, side by side, and both were spewing water out the bilge...would have been a great picture thinking back on it.

do always load the trailer with ballast full?

No. I left the boat overnight and a rainstorm came in. During the incline the water from the rain that was in the boat triggered the bilge. I am not an idiot....well maybe sometimes according to the wifey

Com'on IXFE give me a little more credit

Edited by Afun

do always load the trailer with ballast full?

Mine looks like that almost every time I pull out. I always have the boat driver hit all the ballast pumps as I pull up ramp, it forces all left over water in tanks to rear of tank and pump dumps last few gallons that dont pump out when setting flat. Also if I happened to forget water in a tank, I don't tow it home for no reason.

Since this topic is primarily about the bunk carpet I will be inspecting mine on the weekend when the boat is launched since she is new to us. Is the bunk carpet just stapled on or should i use contact adhesive as well if replacing it?

Cheers

if you're crazy about it, both, staple on the bottom as you wrap the carpet around the bottom edges, and glue it onto the board to minimize the carpet moving, that's what I did at least.

if you're crazy about it, both, staple on the bottom as you wrap the carpet around the bottom edges, and glue it onto the board to minimize the carpet moving, that's what I did at least.

So you think the carpet may be moving?

So you think the carpet may be moving?

well, there's obviously play in the carpet and so when you're loading a trailer it can move and pinch and "burn" more IMO (careful, just my opinion ;) )

and so when I recently replaced my bunks, I glued them down as well, we try to load slow and with trailer deep anyway, but so far so good, and I can't think of a reason that the glue would make anything worse, except for one day having to take the carpets back off without replacing the wood as well.

Since this topic is primarily about the bunk carpet I will be inspecting mine on the weekend when the boat is launched since she is new to us. Is the bunk carpet just stapled on or should i use contact adhesive as well if replacing it?

Cheers

I had mysterious tan streaks, blobs, speckles on the bottom of my hull. I think it is carpet adhesive that the previous owner used to secure bunk carpet. My theory is that it didnt cure before putting the boat into the water, and the prop flung it all over the hull. Just ask me how many hours it took to scrape off this hard crusty nastiness. Nightmare....So, just be sure you use the propr adhesive and make sure it is fully dry before going back in the water. Or, use staples because I think that is how to do it.

I've had to replaced my bunk carpet on my last few boats. I always glue a strip down just covering the top of the board and then I wrap another piece around the whole board and staple it, pulling it tight as I go. I can tell you that as long as you use enough staples and pull it tight, it will not go anywhere. The first trailer I replaced carpet on was a MC trailer and the strip under the carpet was not even glued and it looked like it had not moved in all its years.

No, peoples feelings get hurt and before you know were all running around shirtless throwing bags of milk at each other. And that just ain't gonna leave a nice smell in the boat!

I am ROTFLOLing - this made my night.

Com'on IXFE give me a little more credit

I don't know you. You joined the forum like a week ago. And since being here you've posted some of the most bizarre content I've ever read. So tell me... how much credit am I supposed to give you? Honesty, I'm having a hard time figuring you out.

Quick thread jack, I came in hot and at a bit to much of an angle when driving on the trailer and my tracking fin caught one of the bunks, cut the wood and the carpet. I'm planning to replace the wood and carpet, what kind of wood should I use for that. I heard no pressure treated. Would pine be ok or should I use something else like redwood? Hoping I can just use a Home Depot variety.

Quick thread jack, I came in hot and at a bit to much of an angle when driving on the trailer and my tracking fin caught one of the bunks, cut the wood and the carpet. I'm planning to replace the wood and carpet, what kind of wood should I use for that. I heard no pressure treated. Would pine be ok or should I use something else like redwood? Hoping I can just use a Home Depot variety.

Use what is on there now, either treated or not and you can get from Home Depot/Lowes. If what you have now is not treated and you decide to go with treated you will need to change the bolts out too since regular bolts and treated don't go good together.

I just changed mine and went with Cedar, which has a very straight grain and the lest amount of knots. The old boards were Douglas fir and about every square inch of it was covered in knots.

I don't know you. You joined the forum like a week ago. And since being here you've posted some of the most bizarre content I've ever read. So tell me... how much credit am I supposed to give you? Honesty, I'm having a hard time figuring you out.

Ouch! Bizarre posts were meant to be fun more than anything else. You just like to be mean....shirt off!

Ya nyryan, no wonder you needed a new G23, it probably fell of your cheap hitch that was made by all those poor slave laboured children!

Some people need to understand that $1 a day (which may or may not be accurate) is quite sufficient to live in other countries. The economy in such places is WELL on the uprise compared to the dwindling bankruptcy that is the almighty US of A. So although I can accept your plea to "BUY AMERICA" The truth is that $1 a day wage over seas is really the only thing that is paying for America's poor poor financial planning. Kind of ironic seeing as the funds initiated from the very purchase of so many trailer hitches from harbour freight.

I was adding some humor...Of course they make more than $1/day...most anyone should know that...and a well known fact as to why many oversees businesses are coming back to the US...as labor issues, rising costs of doing businesses are now making doing business in the US more cost effective. SUrly you can't argue that QC is nowhere remotely close to that of here in the US..whether it be steel, toothpaste and candy contiamtinated with lead, mercury and other stuff you don't want to be eating.

ANd the US is doing well enough on its own with such asinine steps to "fix" the econpmy as QE3, which is pumping $85 BILLION into the stock market monthly...that once QE3 stops, the market will drop like a led zeppelin!! and is futher devaluing the dollartaboot!!

I was adding some humor...Of course they make more than $1/day...most anyone should know that...and a well known fact as to why many oversees businesses are coming back to the US...as labor issues, rising costs of doing businesses are now making doing business in the US more cost effective. SUrly you can't argue that QC is nowhere remotely close to that of here in the US..whether it be steel, toothpaste and candy contiamtinated with lead, mercury and other stuff you don't want to be eating.

ANd the US is doing well enough on its own with such asinine steps to "fix" the econpmy as QE3, which is pumping $85 BILLION into the stock market monthly...that once QE3 stops, the market will drop like a led zeppelin!! and is futher devaluing the dollartaboot!!

No worries Happy, I remember thinking back to that post later and realizing I was just having a bad day. On the QC, I somewhat agree that it is better in the US but in the end I'm sure 90% of the stuff I own was made overseas and I haven't had much, if any, trouble with them. The biggest difference I will give you, and I completely agree, is when it comes to tools. I'll buy a chinese knock-off, expecting that I won't have much use for it. If it's something I want to be in my garage for a while, it's always worth it to pony-up.

Sorry for the thread-jack :cheers:

• 1 month later...

Recarpeting my bunks this weekend. I will continue to say until I turn blue in the face, that 2004 Boatmate trailer I had was superior in quality compared to this 2013 Bling Led Dual axle trailer. The carpet on the bunks are paper thin like a felt rather than a carpet. The carpets on my 2004 trailer were plush and nothing could damage them....not even me. I tell you....look around cost cutting measures are affecting us all.