Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

My Boatmate Trailer....Concerns About My Bunks

Afun

This is not a dunking issue. This is an angle issue. The rear bunks should NEVER have a burn mark. In fact, they shouldn't even touch the bottom of the boat until its pulled out of the water. Assuming proper loading depth, if anywhere is going to get burned it is not the rear, it will be near the front when the bunk actually has to start supporting the weight of the bow and directing it upward.

I have to agree with this. All inboards I have loaded have been this way. Resting on the first half of the trailer until the trailer is pulled out.

Coming in on my steep ramp with a steeper ramp section out of the water (Ie trailer and truck at two different angles) I would say I first contact the trailer around 1/3-1/2 way from the back. Than I power load the rest. I think I'll try going a bit deeper but if memory serves me right the angles are wrong and I dip below the bow roller. Heck I already only see 6" of my trailer guides (Extreme) and I like to JUST see the top of my fenders.

I have to agree with this. All inboards I have loaded have been this way. Resting on the first half of the trailer until the trailer is pulled out.

Coming in on my steep ramp with a steeper ramp section out of the water (Ie trailer and truck at two different angles) I would say I first contact the trailer around 1/3-1/2 way from the back. Than I power load the rest. I think I'll try going a bit deeper but if memory serves me right the angles are wrong and I dip below the bow roller. Heck I already only see 6" of my trailer guides (Extreme) and I like to JUST see the top of my fenders.

With all this being said. Does Boatmate supply directions on how to load specific model boats onto specific model trailers?

Wouldn't have a clue. But as with almost everything on TMC I'm willing to bet that 99% of that info is available (and already given here) by this group of sensitive babying boat owners.

FYI,

I am able to rotate the jack fully now. Uneven surface in my driveway. FJ looks good, no need for airbags.

I 100% doubt that the FJ doesn't need airbags. Get airbags, bro. They are cheap and will improve your towing experience 10 fold.

Edited by Bu hoo

Zero Drop, $30 at Harbor Frieght, Ive use this hitch towing everything for 8yrs now.

image_21165.jpg

Everything Harbor sells is made in China. I am not sure I trust my boat to folks making $1/day, and where at other places they have netting to keep employees from jumping out windows and off the roof to commit suicide.

BUY AMERICA!!

Everything Harbor sells is made in China. I am not sure I trust my boat to folks making $1/day, and where at other places they have netting to keep employees from jumping out windows and off the roof to commit suicide.

BUY AMERICA!!

Ya nyryan, no wonder you needed a new G23, it probably fell of your cheap hitch that was made by all those poor slave laboured children!

Some people need to understand that $1 a day (which may or may not be accurate) is quite sufficient to live in other countries. The economy in such places is WELL on the uprise compared to the dwindling bankruptcy that is the almighty US of A. So although I can accept your plea to "BUY AMERICA" The truth is that $1 a day wage over seas is really the only thing that is paying for America's poor poor financial planning. Kind of ironic seeing as the funds initiated from the very purchase of so many trailer hitches from harbour freight.

I guess turning the hitch upside down or getting one that has zero drop. Don't know if the sell one. I will check it out. Still, not real happy with the trailer bunks looking like that.

hmmm....I remember someone suggesting that in the first page of this thread ;)

btw - that boat is beautiful. I am not a fan of green typically but that is the perfect amount!

hmmm....I remember someone suggesting that in the first page of this thread ;)

btw - that boat is beautiful. I am not a fan of green typically but that is the perfect amount!

Look, I am going to do it, but its not that low to cause this damage to the bunks. Murphy, I am not an expert. I learned most of everything from this site, you tube, and some friends. I do not know if this is good or bad. I always bury the freakin bunks all the way into the water. I come in slow, and I line up the best I can. Sometimes perfect and sometimes a little off. The trailer is one month old. Dude...how much more do I need to bury this thing to keep things safe. I also have the same wear and tear in the front of the bunks. I am not a complete idiot. When I bought the trailer it also would not reverse. So, it has not been perfect.

Thanks for the compliments on the boat.

Edited by Afun

Look, I am going to do it, but its not that low to cause this damage to the bunks. Murphy, I am not an expert. I learned most of everything from this site, you tube, and some friends. I do not know if this is good or bad. I always bury the freakin bunks all the way into the water. I come in slow, and I line up the best I can. Sometimes perfect and sometimes a little off. The trailer is one month old. Dude...how much more do I need to bury this thing to keep things safe. I also have the same wear and tear in the front of the bunks. I am not a complete idiot. When I bought the trailer it also would not reverse. So, it has not been perfect.

Clearly it is tho! You have burned the rear edges of the bunks! Those bunks should NEVER see any friction. Burying the bunks is just step 1. You have to create the appropriate depth which is not happening.

A-fun...I was just referring to getting a hitch with less drop. No mention about your bunks.

It's all good!

A-fun...I was just referring to getting a hitch with less drop. No mention about your bunks.

It's all good!

All good...maybe smaller tires on the trailer makes sense or a long tow vehicle with six wheels..

If that was a compliment, I would hate to see what his insults looks like. "not a fan of the color you picked for your $100k boat, but <insert compliment>. "

All you deep water boat dunkers... if you are backing your boat until the car exhaust is underwater, are you worried about the brake piston / fluid reservoir underwater?

About as worried as I am about my trailers brakes getting water in that fluid reservoir. I flush both every couple seasons

Not to worried.......

Edited by Murphy8166

If that was a compliment, I would hate to see what his insults looks like. "not a fan of the color you picked for your $100k boat, but <insert compliment>.

What are you talking about.... Can we no longer say that we are not fond of a color...?

Edited by Murphy8166

All you deep water boat dunkers... if you are backing your boat until the car exhaust is underwater, are you worried about the brake piston / fluid reservoir underwater?

nope. I have put my current truck in 2 feet of water or more at least 100 times. Every other one prior too. Never had any water related issue....well, I did in a tahoe, but that wasn't launching a boat and water was up to my dash so a little differnet comparison.

What are you talking about.... Can we no longer say that we are not fond of a color...?

No, peoples feelings get hurt and before you know were all running around shirtless throwing bags of milk at each other. And that just ain't gonna leave a nice smell in the boat!

Afun- all the single axle trailers I've used get backed into the launch (for pick-up) until the tops of the fenders can just barely be seen. We've got a ramp with a medium angle, my rear Explorer tires are just about to the water line.

If you go to a steep ramp, back in another 2 or 3 feet(beyond top of front fender) (and be prepared to back in more) if the boat stops further than 1 ft. away from the front roller..

In my opinion the boat shouldn't touch the trailer unitl it's about 3 feet from the bow stop/roller. When you drive it on slow, the boat should stop a foot short of the bow stop/roller. Then winch it on. Doing it this way does wear down the bunk carpet, but it's normal. I would guess the trailer would look like that after 6 launches. I think my carpet gets replaced after about 20 launches ( but I have some dry rot carpet because that takes 5 years to launch 20 times.)

I bet the chines or front hull portion is wearing the carpet down.

cwkoch- whats the weight of his vlx and tow cap of the FJ?

Afun- all the single axle trailers I've used get backed into the launch (for pick-up) until the tops of the fenders can just barely be seen. We've got a ramp with a medium angle, my rear Explorer tires are just about to the water line.

If you go to a steep ramp, back in another 2 or 3 feet(beyond top of front fender) (and be prepared to back in more) if the boat stops further than 1 ft. away from the front roller..

In my opinion the boat shouldn't touch the trailer unitl it's about 3 feet from the bow stop/roller. When you drive it on slow, the boat should stop a foot short of the bow stop/roller. Then winch it on. Doing it this way does wear down the bunk carpet, but it's normal. I would guess the trailer would look like that after 6 launches. I think my carpet gets replaced after about 20 launches ( but I have some dry rot carpet because that takes 5 years to launch 20 times.)

I bet the chines or front hull portion is wearing the carpet down.

cwkoch- whats the weight of his vlx and tow cap of the FJ?

VLX approx 6k, FJ 5k.

The FJ's towing capacity is 4700 according to their site..... The VLX on the trailer, full fuel and gear is going to be over that.... It's not just about towing capacity though, the short wheel base makes it dangerous too.... Crazy to tow a boat like a VLX with that little "truck".... It's an accident waiting to happen.

Look, I am going to do it, but its not that low to cause this damage to the bunks. Like has been said, you are not loading the boat properly. Back it in farther.

Murphy, I am not an expert. No one starts out an expert, but please be more open to criticism and advice.

I learned most of everything from this site, you tube, and some friends. I do not know if this is good or bad. I always bury the freakin bunks all the way into the water. You have already explained how far you back it and it isn't enough. The damage to your trailer is proof.

I come in slow, and I line up the best I can. Sometimes perfect and sometimes a little off. The trailer is one month old. Dude...how much more do I need to bury this thing to keep things safe. Each ramp is different, but there has been lots of great advice already given on this subject in this very thread.

I also have the same wear and tear in the front of the bunks. Please provide pics that show the same carpet wear on the front of the bunks. Sorry, but your damage is from power loading on a trailer not deep enough or at least eerily similar.

I am not a complete idiot. When I bought the trailer it also would not reverse. So, it has not been perfect. Boat brakes are not complicated systems. There are a few common issues that can cause this problem and they are by design. What was your solution?

Thanks for the compliments on the boat. Your boat does look great! Congrats.

No, peoples feelings get hurt and before you know were all running around shirtless throwing bags of milk at each other. And that just ain't gonna leave a nice smell in the boat!

It reminds me of a day last winter. My buddy just bought a new motorcycle, he spent alot of money, and was pretty excited. It wasnt the usual black or red.

Well, some guy walks up to him, says "hey, cool bike." my buddy says thanks! He was still pretty excited about his purchase. Then the guy says " I was looking at the same one but decided I hated the color".

wtf? Just not something I would say to a friend or stranger who was sitting on his new $15k pride and joy.

And it wasnt the backhanded compliment that annoys me, it the fact that Afun, admittedly inexperienced, asks some honest questions.

But Murph fires back with:

User error for the most part....

For a guy that has a really nice boat - you are really on pace to tear it up fast

Whereas most people just gave constructive advice...

Kinda hard to ask newb questions (like I have) if you have to deal with that garbage.

And it wasnt the backhanded compliment that annoys me, it the fact that Afun, admittedly inexperienced, asks some honest questions.

But Murph fires back with:

Whereas most people just gave constructive advice...

Kinda hard to ask newb questions (like I have) if you have to deal with that garbage.

I did take issue with that post...it's all good (shirt on)