Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

08 v ride or 05 VLX...help me decide

NormRD

In '05 both throttle & shift was by cable. By '08, it was both throttle by wire & shift by wire. Those are LARGE differences in how the boat will drive & feel, as well as how easily (or not) the owner can maintain it themselves. Go drive both & you'll understand how different they feel.

2008 was also the year that Malibu did their recall on every boat manufactured. Let me repeat that: they recalled EVERY boat that came out of the factory that year in the form of sending crews out regionally to fix the myriad of problems that came in 2008. Personally (no offense to the '08 owners) I wouldn't touch an '08 boat with a 40' pole, but that's just me. (Yes, a large percentage of those problems were tied to the MUX system that the Rides don't have, but there were enough other problems that a Ride boat could have that you'd never get me to look at an '08 Malibu. Sorry.)

Me, I'd jump on the '05, but then again that's my sweet spot for what I'd want given my choice. Just make sure that the damper plate has been upgraded & you're golden with that boat.

Did they make sure that all 08 boats got "fixed" or only ones that people wanted done.

What kind of problems were there with the 08s?

They tried, & to Malibu's credit their response to the issues was appropriate. But, 1) there's no guarantee that all 2008 boats were fixed, & 2) I know of a few '08 boats that were never right regardless of going through the program. It was called the "Make it right" program. They spun it as a "customer appreciation campaign" but in reality there were so many problems in so many 2008 boats that it was a mass fix-it campaign.

Problems had to do with the MUX switches, power wedge calibration & software, engine management software, Illusion XS problems, among other things.

I have an 08. If problems would arise do you know if there is a way to see if my boat (second owner) made it through the program? Call Malibu? Think they would "make it right" yet if it didn't?

Owned the boat for less than a month and power wedge failure. Was told by the dealer I need a new Medallion control box.

I have an 08. If problems would arise do you know if there is a way to see if my boat (second owner) made it through the program? Call Malibu? Think they would "make it right" yet if it didn't?

Owned the boat for less than a month and power wedge failure. Was told by the dealer I need a new Medallion control box.

Malibu should know if it went through the program. They actually went to a lot of lengths to try & get all of the boats serviced, to their credit. Try working through your dealer first, but if that doesn't answer your questions maybe call the corporate offices & see what you can find out.

Thanks a bunch WakeGirl. Boats are so worth it even though expensive. Just sad when you pay so much for something (more than both cars for a family combined) and something that costs $1000 comes along in the first month to repair.

Oh well, bring out another thousand right?

Hopefully none of those other items come along from the problem list. Should've bought an 07 with toggle switches and no power wedge. Did they have all the problems straightened out by 09?

Edited by SouthsideBoarder

Yes, by '09 things were better. If your boat went through the program, then it's likely that this is just one of those random issues that pops up. Make it Right (for the most part) did what it was intended to do, even if a few of those boats were always problematic. But like I said, find out if yours went through it & work from there. Good luck.

I could be wrong but I thought that the v rides are just superseded VLX hulls which would mean your 08, the 05 and your 00 are identical hulls. What do you expect to gain by the upgrade if it's same for same? If you are looking for a change of scenery then go for the 08, if your wife likes to ski then I would chose none on your list.

Pretty sure the 08 V Ride has shift cables and not shift by wire.

I have only seen one...... But its definitely an 08 with an LCR, and has the same throttle as my 05 Monsoon

-

Bill

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Throttle is not an indication. All '07 boats would have had the same throttle as your '05 since the push button didn't come until '08, but all '07 boats are throttle by wire as well as shift by wire. The throttle has nothing to do with it.

Thanks for the feedback. Price wise the vtx is mostly out of my range but does seem like a great boat. The two I have listed I have found for mid 30s.

Thanks for the feedback. Price wise the vtx is mostly out of my range but does seem like a great boat. The two I have listed I have found for mid 30s.

If you can find a vlx for mid 30s then shouldn't you be able to find a vtx mid 30s? I think if you hold out you can.

The VTX tends to hold a little better resale, there aren't nearly as many of them out there & it didn't come into the lineup until 2007.

Well that explains it....too bad.

Honestly skiing get the lowest amount of time on our boat. In order of hours done. Wakeboarding, surfing, tube, skiing. My wife get's about 1 run in compared to multiple sets in buy several rides of all the others. The biggest sell on the VTX for me is updated, more options (compared to v ride) and the lighter towing weight. But, seems most VTX's are about $10k more. Can't justify that to the wife when we have a perfectly good boat now that get out on 1-2 times per week.

Looks like moving forward on the VLX.

Yes, I was about to vote for the VLX, but looks like you already decided. That V25 hull is amazing, 3rd favorite wake ever and the older brother of the A22 wake.

• 1 year later...
Does the Vride have under floor ballast like the '05+ VLX??

Midship yes, rear no.

I'll preface this with , I just put my 08 vride up for sale, but honestly I've never had a single issue with it in 4 years. It performs much better than the 00, could just be the prop and dual gorilla fins, but it's noticeable. The 08 also has the better vinyl. I've heard all the stories in here about the illusion tower, but not experienced any of them. The 05 has the wider beam and IMO meatier wider wake, but bad ski wake.