Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Volvo trim tabs, similar to NSS

jcon44

Volvo has had those out for quite some time. I've heard they work well on calmer waters and smaller boats, but offshore where the water can be more turbulent they aren't as good as extended surface tabs.

I can see why VP has their panties in a bunch over Nautique using this design.

i am wondering what they would do mounted vertically, specifically for a surf wake.

boom there it is, I was thinking that as I read through the PDF link.

I think if they came out far enough, they'd basically be doing exactly what NSS does? but it seems that all these adjustments are making drastic changes to the wake that I wouldn't expect so who knows.

My brother told me about these last weekend and said he read somewhere that a guy mounted them like the NSS but on a Malibu and it worked great. Just hearsay though.

boom there it is, I was thinking that as I read through the PDF link.

I think if they came out far enough, they'd basically be doing exactly what NSS does? but it seems that all these adjustments are making drastic changes to the wake that I wouldn't expect so who knows.

Has anyone tried a DIY of the NSS? Seems like it might be easier to build than the gate.

Those have been discussed a hundred times. Have yet to see anyone actually try them. Probably because even the smallest one is too wide.

Well, this could be the issue and why we haven't seen anyone try this. They are also pretty pricey. the cheapest I saw them was for $600, but that does included all the wiring and switches.

Has anyone tried a DIY of the NSS? Seems like it might be easier to build than the gate.

A few people on here have tried the NSS style system with good success. I believe only one of them is automated, the others completely manual.

• 8 months later...

A few people on here have tried the NSS style system with good success. I believe only one of them is automated, the others completely manual.

Here is the best one I have seen on here.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/44587-nss-type-wakesurf-design/

And this is on Wakeworld.

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=800079

Any more progress from anyone looking at doing this? I am so close to ordering the kit form Martin and then doing an NSS style instead of the gates.

I just tested my NSS style plates I made yesterday and results were outstanding. Mine are manual and made of HDPE 1/2" & 3/8" 2 piece design. With only stock ballast test on our VTX we were amazed at how clean, nice roll the wake we had. Tested w and without the plate extended and we were really pleased. It was windy/choppy as well but first test run was thrilled. Will try to get time today to post as thread on my build w pics.

• Like 3

I just tested my NSS style plates I made yesterday and results were outstanding. Mine are manual and made of HDPE 1/2" & 3/8" 2 piece design. With only stock ballast test on our VTX we were amazed at how clean, nice roll the wake we had. Tested w and without the plate extended and we were really pleased. It was windy/choppy as well but first test run was thrilled. Will try to get time today to post as thread on my build w pics.

Share some pics, design? I am very curious about this over surfgate. Looking at the NSS, how far out does the plate extend? It looks like just a couple of inches from what I can see?

Perfect. I would love to see some pics of what you installed. Looking at the new Nautique NSS set up with the cover makes it look so clean. Also if I do it this way I will not have to cut down my platform at all. I may have a slightly damaged fiberglass platform for sale as well!

Here are a couple of pics of my plates. I have to modify a bunch of pics to resize to be able to post. Will try to make a thread later tonite if possible. But this is general idea. 2 piece design w 1/2" "base" piece and 3/8" for the plate that slides out. Also made a "filler" piece between hull and plate edge to keep splash/spray to minimum while deployed and under normal use. All worked well.

post-16835-0-29559600-1398280101_thumb.j

post-16835-0-20690200-1398280162_thumb.j

So you only extend to the side. No angling down similar to the Nautique system? Did you try both ways at all? How nervous were you when drilling into the boat? Any thoughts about automating?

So you only extend to the side. No angling down similar to the Nautique system? Did you try both ways at all? How nervous were you when drilling into the boat? Any thoughts about automating?

It appears to me that it will angle down the ~3/4" or so that the NSS does, nice work OP, can't wait to see more details :thumbup:

It appears to me that it will angle down the ~3/4" or so that the NSS does, nice work OP, can't wait to see more details :thumbup:

NSS changes how much it angles depending on the hull design. Some move well over an inch lower than the hull. Just an observation.

This is what I think I will do on my boat combined maybe with MartinArchers controller setup.

Extends out 3", and down 3/4" Just like the "new ones" on the boat I measured at the boat show. Slides are angled slightly to accomplish it. Drilling,,,in the words of Tao of the Wake,,,,"ya just gotta commit" Spoke with a lot of people and Tao and guys over on Planet Nautique site and committed cause I like the design, simplicity and want to be able to lengthen and customize wave shape some. Wish I had time to add more but gotta head out to see clients. Will try to make complete post later tonite.

• Like 2