Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Crowded Lake?

RLPBL

This one is for all you guys down south complaining about crowded lakes. This is a first for me, almost got ran over by a landing Sea Plane the other day while riding in the local bay. Was actually pretty cool, except it might not have ended well if I would have went down in front of it since they can't stop.

guess that's what we get for running back and forth in front of their outpost

1098202_10100827644076688_1537968282_n.j

• Like 3

So judging from the prop wash, the driver was going perpendicular to the planes landing path, and is turning right to go in the same direction. Bet it surprised the pilot a bit too.

A few years ago we were riding on Berryessa in central CA & happened to see a near collision between a plane & a houseboat! Got a little dicey for a few seconds there.

-

Bill

FWIW if you were ridding in front of their outpost you were most likely on a marked (aviation charts for sure, lake map?) sea plane landing strip. You may want to investigate this a little. It wont be as busy as a major airport however you may be expected to vacate the area when there is a plane landing or taking off since you are (maybe) on their runway.

Nice pic though.

FWIW if you were ridding in front of their outpost you were most likely on a marked (aviation charts for sure, lake map?) sea plane landing strip. You may want to investigate this a little. It wont be as busy as a major airport however you may be expected to vacate the area when there is a plane landing or taking off since you are (maybe) on their runway.

Nice pic though.

sorry to take this to another level, but what do you think the stipulations would be on (God forbid) an accident happening in this area. I wonder if something ever were to happen if the planes could not be held responsible due to the boater's being held responsible for having to know the designated areas to avoid for planes trying to land on the lake/ or bay in this case.

just thinking in this sort of way because how terrible would it be if something happened and you were at fault because of it in this situation. I'm sure it's much easier to get out of the way with a boat that one of those planes trying to adjust on the fly while they're trying to land.

Nice pic though.

SO they are are marked / aviation charts for planes landing on water?? I have never heard of that nor seen a chart with such markings! ANd how would boaters be notified to vacate those supposed sea landing strips when a plane is landing or taking off?? ha ha Maybe the pilot using hand gestures would work!

I guess boaters would know, when they see a slow moving plane a few feet off the water!

Edited by happypappy

This was supposed to be a fun thread haha... Didn't know all of the professional "ball breakers" were gonna climb out of the woodwork and chime in..

This bay is part of a big lake in Northern Ontario. Super far north. As far as things go, there are no marked areas or anything of that nature as these guys will take off from different areas of the lake depending on the wind direction and speed. Our neighbor owns 3 planes and takes off from right in front of our house alot.

In this case, that plane took a hard right soon after the pic was taken to head towards the outpost. For the most part, we all just watch out for each other. The bay is shared by the planes and the boaters as there are also 2 ramps there. The planes have radios but aside from that, they don't even really know where each other are in the sky at times from what i've been told.

SO there are marked / aviation charts for planes landing on water?? I have never heard of that nor seen a chart with such markings! ANd how would boaters be notified to vacate those supposed sea landing strips when a plane is landing or taking off?? ha ha Maybe the pilot using hand gestures would work!

I guess boaters would know, when they see a slow moving plane a few feet off the water!

They aren't so slow moving when they are landing though, alot of times they will be coming in from another direction and straighten out right before landing. They slow down when they start to taxi. But when landing, its often hard to know they are coming

This was supposed to be a fun thread haha... Didn't know all of the professional "ball breakers" were gonna climb out of the woodwork and chime in..

This bay is part of a big lake in Northern Ontario. Super far north. As far as things go, there are no marked areas or anything of that nature as these guys will take off from different areas of the lake depending on the wind direction and speed. Our neighbor owns 3 planes and takes off from right in front of our house alot.

In this case, that plane took a hard right soon after the pic was taken to head towards the outpost. For the most part, we all just watch out for each other. The bay is shared by the planes and the boaters as there are also 2 ramps there. The planes have radios but aside from that, they don't even really know where each other are in the sky at times from what i've been told.

not trying to be a stick in the mud, just the idea of aviation charts and or some kinda lake map was too much to let go....maybe those underwater lights like on the James Bond movie Thunderball are turned on when planes are landing or taking off!! ha ha

SO they are are marked / aviation charts for planes landing on water?? I have never heard of that nor seen a chart with such markings! ANd how would boaters be notified to vacate those supposed sea landing strips when a plane is landing or taking off?? ha ha Maybe the pilot using hand gestures would work!

As a pilot I can assure you that the sea plane bases are marked on aviation charts, there is one marked on a lake chart in NC near a flyin comunity for those with sea planes. This does NOT mean they are marked on the water in any way. As for being "too good to let go..." maybe you shoud expand you mind before you comment.

sorry to take this to another level, but what do you think the stipulations would be on (God forbid) an accident happening in this area. I wonder if something ever were to happen if the planes could not be held responsible due to the boater's being held responsible for having to know the designated areas to avoid for planes trying to land on the lake/ or bay in this case.

just thinking in this sort of way because how terrible would it be if something happened and you were at fault because of it in this situation. I'm sure it's much easier to get out of the way with a boat that one of those planes trying to adjust on the fly while they're trying to land.

I have no idea, sort of my point in mentiioning that they are marked on aviation charts. Some planes dont have very good forward visibility in the landing configuration due to the size and location of the motor, especially older single engine planes.

I have no idea, sort of my point in mentiioning that they are marked on aviation charts. Some planes dont have very good forward visibility in the landing configuration due to the size and location of the motor, especially older single engine planes.

You probably have to check the NOTAMS and log your flight path with the FAA as a boater on that lake. There might be TFRs in place to avoid this type of thing and it would benefit you to install a VHF unit your boat so that you can talk to incoming and outgoing air units and/or the nearest tower and announce your boats tail number and position.

When your rider wrecks it also might be necessary to contact NTSB so that they can investigate.

• Like 3

You probably have to check the NOTAMS and log your flight path with the FAA as a boater on that lake. There might be TFRs in place to avoid this type of thing and it would benefit you to install a VHF unit your boat so that you can talk to incoming and outgoing air units and/or the nearest tower and announce your boats tail number and position.

When your rider wrecks it also might be necessary to contact NTSB so that they can investigate.

You left out making sure you are not in the ILS safety zone,

As for the NTSB only if you get as much air as this guy, http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/45474-new-personal-best/

• Like 1

Having been a contractor/subcontractor to the FAA for 10+ years and a pilot, I am glad someone could "expand their mind" on the subject!! ha ha