Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Slip with a lift or no lift....?

Afun

ahopkins22LSV

For sure a lift. I live just off the lake and have access to just leave the boat in the water. No way would I ever do that, I choose to trailer. Even in clean clear lakes it doesn't take long to scum the bottom up and it's extremely difficult to clean the bottom. And besides the bottom it's just better overall for the boat. It makes me cringe to think of leaving ours in fore more than a day or two haha.

Edited by ahopkins1988

The boat will handle bad weather better on a lift. A canopy over it is an option on a lift, which will protect it from the sun & rain. Problems can occur though..... birds nesting over the boat in the canopy, inexperienced drivers hitting the lift or pulling on too far. I've seen people load the boat a little too far forward, then the wind blow the boat over the front & the whole thing is either resting on the dock or sunk in the slip.

You won't have a scum line on a lift. Our own lake is pretty clean & takes a good 6 - 8 weeks to get a scum line. I can pull the boat once a month & clean it up & never see a scum line. Other lakes take a day or two for the scum to start growing.

But the lift will cost you some coin.... initially & maintenance.

The lift definitely has a lot of benefits. But there are issues that come with it.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Where I am lift is a must. Lake blows up and I see boats coming off buoys all the time or boats tied to dock getting thrashed hitting the dock. Also keeps it out of water when not in use so easier on gel coat. Also if you ever have to maintain center it's much easier

We keep our VLX on a lift with canopy. Couldn't image storing it any other way (if I had the option). I've never had a bird issue, but have seen others get a nest. Just be proactive. The only issue we've had was the canopy legs attract spiders. The first couple years it was really annoying, until a neighbor suggested I spray a little spider repellant around the edge of the canopy and slip. No more spiders! I still suggest putting your cover on the boat overnight.

If it's available to you and the price is reasonable--do it.

post-4451-0-32749500-1376523147_thumb.jp

Edited by Cory

you won't have to pay your dealer to acid wash your boat EVERY single year either! you can still get it done, but my friend keeps his 06 in a slip in the water, and they always have to spend coin to acid wash at the end of the season to really get the white hull back to white.

Bust

Out

Another

Thousand.

:boat:

I saw one of those $120k Nautiques without a lift. I figured good enough for him good enough for me. Thanks for the responses. I will look into a slip with a lift.

Also heard that the folks from Ohio have brought some Zebra Mussels to Norris Lake. It's not an epidemic as of yet. Another reason for a lift.

I saw one of those $120k Nautiques without a lift. I figured good enough for him good enough for me. Thanks for the responses. I will look into a slip with a lift.

Also heard that the folks from Ohio have brought some Zebra Mussels to Norris Lake. It's not an epidemic as of yet. Another reason for a lift.

Thats not good news. Definitely want a lift then... Are you looking at leaving your boat on Norris?

Thats not good news. Definitely want a lift then... Are you looking at leaving your boat on Norris?

Norris Lake @ Norris Marina First Choice, Seqoyah Landing @ Tellico Lake Second Choice, The Pointe Marina @ Douglas Lake Third Choice.

Afun also check out Lighthouse Point Marina on Douglas, good guys and they will build you a custom lift. Also coming from Knoxville it's a little closer than the Pointe.

Edited by jb 156

Afun also check out Lighthouse Point Marina on Douglas, good guys and they will build you a custom lift. Also coming from Knoxville it's a little closer than the Pointe.

No lifts at that marina for now. Also, can't leave the battery on a trickle full time. Seems like you have to share the electrical outlets. I love The Pointe..what party...people wearing Sperrys are widely accepted

No lifts at that marina for now. Also, can't leave the battery on a trickle full time. Seems like you have to share the electrical outlets. I love The Pointe..what party...people wearing Sperrys are widely accepted

The Pointe is good too I visit often and yes Sperrys and optional shirts are accepted!

The Pointe is good too I visit often and yes Sperrys and optional shirts are accepted!

Douglas is also nice. I am 13 miles away from the Norris exit. Norris is awesome too.

Also a lot of people who can easily afford to buy say a g23 don't really care if their boat gets beat up. They can easily afford to replace it on 2 years even with a substantial depreciation.

Norris Lake @ Norris Marina First Choice, Seqoyah Landing @ Tellico Lake Second Choice, The Pointe Marina @ Douglas Lake Third Choice.

pretty sure you know which one gets my vote. they also have lifts (or did have) at the marina at the damn. the people at the point are great and the guys who run angelos are really good friends of mine. light house is closer to muddy creek which is some of the smoothest water on the lake, other than my secrete location across from headquarters. you where one head turn away from finding it last time you where up here...

still coming up for the fireworks the weekend?

Also a lot of people who can easily afford to buy say a g23 don't really care if their boat gets beat up. They can easily afford to replace it on 2 years even with a substantial depreciation.

Maybe. Probably takes it out weekly to clean. It's a rare boat to see on the water.

pretty sure you know which one gets my vote. they also have lifts (or did have) at the marina at the damn. the people at the point are great and the guys who run angelos are really good friends of mine. light house is closer to muddy creek which is some of the smoothest water on the lake, other than my secrete location across from headquarters. you where one head turn away from finding it last time you where up here...

still coming up for the fireworks the weekend?

Yes. Coming in on Friday. Got a slip for the weekend at The Pointe. Staying there with my wife. Kind of a romantic weekend according to her. I was surfing at your secret spot a couple weeks ago . I know where it is. Mountain Cove Marina at the dam does not have lifts either.